Why is the Laramie Longhorn more money than the Limited?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ApexCars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I went and test drove a Limited and I really don't like the wood on the steering wheel. I haven't been able to find a Longhorn here to drive yet but I think I will like that interior much better. When I use the build site to configure both trims the same, almost loaded except for the e-torque and trailer tow group, the Longhorn is almost $1300 more than the limited.

Options on the Longhorn are:
5'7" bed 4x4
Hemi
Off-road group
Air Suspension
33 gal. tank
Level 1 option group
Advanced Safety Group
Bed utility group
Ramboxes
Trailer brake controller

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not sure about pricing, but longhorn will have wood on the steering wheel as well.

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I went and test drove a Limited and I really don't like the wood on the steering wheel. I haven't been able to find a Longhorn here to drive yet but I think I will like that interior much better. When I use the build site to configure both trims the same, almost loaded except for the e-torque and trailer tow group, the Longhorn is almost $1300 more than the limited.

Options on the Longhorn are:
5'7" bed 4x4
Hemi
Off-road group
Air Suspension
33 gal. tank
Level 1 option group
Advanced Safety Group
Bed utility group
Ramboxes
Trailer brake controller

Does the Limited have the Advanced Safety Group? Because that's like a $4k option. So if it doesn't, that's probably your answer.

Edit: it's only a $1600 option, I was thinking about the Level 2 equip group.

can you get them to email you the window sticker?

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Longhorns have wood...

The first vehicle I've owned with the wood steering wheel and wasn't sure I would like it but I have come to really appreciate the smooth feel of it.

OP
OP
A

ApexCars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry, there was a misunderstanding, I didn’t mean that I don’t like wood on the steering wheel. I meant I don’t like the look of the wood on the Limited steering wheel.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Its not more money. Certain options are cheaper on the Limited as they are built into the MSRP, so when you start adding those options to a Longhorn, you pay more for them, example being Level 1 Equipment Group is 3400 on Longhorn and 2500 on the Limited. Plus air suspension is standard on the Limited where you pay 1800 for it on the Longhorn. The Limited has much more standard stuff and MSRP refelects it.

habu987

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I priced out a Longhorn and a Limited on the Build and Price site. Configuration:
  • 4x4
  • Hemi eTorque
  • 33 gallon tank
  • Level 1
  • Bed utility group
  • RamBox
  • Sunroof
  • Air suspension (Longhorn)
  • Advanced safety (Longhorn)
  • Trailer tow (Longhorn, might be a glitch in the B&P, but is required with air suspension and advanced safety)
Limited MSRP: $65,945
Longhorn MSRP: $66,240

If you subtract the trailer tow group from the Longhorn configuration, it would come in $5 cheaper than the Limited for the same feature set.

Side note--I've done the same build comparison between the Longhorn and Limited 4-5 times over the past couple of weeks and each time the Longhorn has come out to a different price (earlier this week it came out to right around $68k!). I'm not sure if they keep updating the pricing on the backend or if it's just buggy.

Last edited:

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
An all leather steering wheel is just a few hundred bucks, just say you will order if they change the stearing wheel at the dealer.

OP
OP
A

ApexCars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the wood on the longhorn wheel. I don’t like the zebra wood on the limited

habu987

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I priced out a Longhorn and a Limited on the Build and Price site. Configuration:
  • 4x4
  • Hemi eTorque
  • 33 gallon tank
  • Level 1
  • Bed utility group
  • RamBox
  • Sunroof
  • Air suspension (Longhorn)
  • Advanced safety (Longhorn)
  • Trailer tow (Longhorn, might be a glitch in the B&P, but is required with air suspension and advanced safety)
Limited MSRP: $65,945
Longhorn MSRP: $66,240

If you subtract the trailer tow group from the Longhorn configuration, it would come in $5 cheaper than the Limited for the same feature set.

Side note--I've done the same build comparison between the Longhorn and Limited 4-5 times over the past couple of weeks and each time the Longhorn has come out to a different price (earlier this week it came out to right around $68k!). I'm not sure if they keep updating the pricing on the backend or if it's just buggy.

I just specced out the same builds again.

This time the Longhorn came out to $68,035. Limited stayed the same.

I don't know what shenanigans are going on behind the scenes in the B&P tool, but this is pretty ridiculous!

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Are the limited’s only offered with a black interior again? That’s why I went longhorn last time. The steering wheel materials say it’s wood, but it sure feels plastic.

Eightd21

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Are the limited’s only offered with a black interior again? That’s why I went longhorn last time. The steering wheel materials say it’s wood, but it sure feels plastic.
I believe it's also offered in the same Frost/indigo colors as the Limited Tungsten.
Personally, I'm a huge fan of the black and brown interior of the Long Horn.
As for the wood, it's real wood, just heavily lacquered for protection, as is most wood trim in vehicles.

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered a Longhorn two weeks ago, optioned like a Limited, just for that beautiful brown interior and that wood.........it could have been thousands more than the limited, and I still would have ordered it. FOR ME..........just didn't like the black interior of the Limited. I have black in my GMC and it just isn't for me anymore.