Winch: replacing the wire line with synthetic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2012 PW and from my initial research this doesnt look like you can do anything stock from warn to take the rollers out for a synthetic rope. apparently mopar created their own fairlead which has the remote control plug build in so if i want to take the rollers out it looks like you need to custom fabricate something? The rollers are bolted into the main housing as well which is a lot of metal. however much I want a synth rope I'll just stick with wire if that's the case. any thoughts?

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Not sure about the factory which, But worst comes to worst SmittyBuilt makes an awesome line of synthetic winches and replacement rope kits. So good in fact I'm going to replace the 15K cable winch on my marine trailer with one for my barge next year.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can change the rope, just be sure to change the fair lead to one made for synthetic. The roller will pinch the rope and shred it quickly. Its a simple process, run the line out, unbolt the cable, bolt on the new and tighten up.

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You can change the rope, just be sure to change the fair lead to one made for synthetic. The roller will pinch the rope and shred it quickly. Its a simple process, run the line out, unbolt the cable, bolt on the new and tighten up.

so the problem is the fairlead on the PW is made by mopar so it doesnt just unbolt and nothing from warn will bolt on. I"m just gonna buy a 15k lbs warn replacement line

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id swear the lead is removable from the assembly, you will need something custom for the synthetic line

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Buy delrin rollers.. i think daystar makes them

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I swapped out my stock cable for a Synthetic line a few years ago now. The Stock rollers were in near-new condition, and not rashed or gouged at all. It has seen plenty of use since then, and have had zero issues with it. As long as your rollers are nice and smooth, I don't see how or where they would pinch. Odds are a scratched or gouged Hawse Fairlead could cause as much, if not more than a roller fairlead that is in good condition. Just my opinion / experience.