window drip guard question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In channel is the only way to go unless you are still rockin' an 80's mullet then stick on is for you.... hahaha!!!

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Resized_20180509_085637.jpeg I use stick on. No mullet. =) I do this because I had issues with the rear vents always falling out of my wife's car that had the channel vents installed.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same here, speed tested weathertec window and bug guard to limiter with ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES!

20180418_070619.jpg

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
EGR Channel ones, found them open box on Amazon for like $20 and love them, took me around 10 minutes to install all 4. Fronts you bend slightly and fit in channel, rears you remove tape and push in channel, easiest mod I did.

Bo Daggart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My in channel are great unroll it gets cold. Tighter gap and frozen windows makes me fear that they'll break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last ones I bought were stick-on. That was back in late 2002 (just before I got rid of my mullet). :p I don't even know if they made in-channel back then; don't recall ever seeing them at that time.

Don't know if it would matter a great deal on, say, a black truck, but I definitely prefer the look of the in-channel on a light color truck.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In channels look so much better, look like they're supposed to be there. I've had more trouble with the stick ons staying on, I don't know if the tape dries out or what. Never had any problems with the in channels.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In channels look so much better, look like they're supposed to be there. I've had more trouble with the stick ons staying on, I don't know if the tape dries out or what. Never had any problems with the in channels.

While I agree with you that in-channel is best....the most common reason for the stick on failures is improper prep or installation, followed by defective tape.

Tapatalked from my expensive "smart" phone.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I agree with you that in-channel is best....the most common reason for the stick on failures is improper prep or installation, followed by defective tape.

I agree, especially if they come off while still pretty new. The ones on my wife's van lasted a couple of years before they started coming loose. I've had in channels for 10 years that never moved.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a set of in channel ones put them on and the windows wouldn’t close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set of in channel ones put them on and the windows wouldn’t close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I got mine given to me with no instructions, I was so agevated with them I was just going to throw them away and leave the stick on ones on there. Then I read somewhere that the including instructions were very vague and they referenced a u tube video. I watched the video, got them out of the trash can, installed them according to the video and they work great.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wait a minute, wait a minute, I think I just figured it out. I've always wiped the contact surfaces down with alcohol, even twice just to make sure they're completely clean. Part of the window frame on my wife's van has some textured plastic pieces and another part has that textured vynl wrap stuff on it. The part of the drip guards that are actually attached to metal never come loose, it's always where that textured stuff is. It's either the texture of the plastic and vynl don't allow proper adhesion or the texture allows moisture to get in behind the tape.