Without engine cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Yesterday with 3 inches of fresh snow blowing around small ice crystals on another sunny 5 degrees Fahrenheit morning I quickly checked and topped off the oil on my 2016 PW after 4,300 miles of towing. With the wind blowing hard under the hood, some 2 ounces of the 8 ounces that I poured ended up dripping down the side of the filler pipe onto the 6.4L valve cover of which at first I didn't notice. None of it got onto the engine cover, but I couldn't see the oil mess underneath it until I removed it.

The engine cover makes it not an easy task to pour from a quart bottle without a funnel, and even more difficult to clean up any small spill afterwards. It's got to go to the garbage heap.

I haven't driven it yet without the cover, but I like the accessibility to the oil filler pipe and being able to see any possible engine related leaks/issues much better without it.KIMG0360.jpg

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I have just always used a funnel, once oil changed from cans to bottles anyway.

KLEEEEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
funnel at al times here, with the current c.a.i I find it shows to much block and lines etc etc. Can't wait until the day she is riding with an EATON style S/C as this will take attention away from mentioned current issue.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm sure it will be fine. I run mine without the cover all the time. It seems to me that it could only help it run just a little bit cooler. None of the Highway Patrol Chargers or Police Chargers have the cover.

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Thanks, I will keep the engine cover off permanently.

Normally I use a funnel, but with the high winds I wasn't successful in keeping it steady.

Last edited:

gmbohuntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Covers only real purpose is to help tame sound from the engine. Won't hurt a thing to leave it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

gmbohuntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Covers only real purpose is to help tame sound from the engine. Won't hurt a thing to leave it off.

And look pretty...Lol

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

And look pretty...Lol

Mostly to look pretty. Not sure how much sound attenuation it would manage.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It quiets the top of the motor quite a bit actually, and other than covering up the fuel system its useless so no worries leaving off.