Wont Idle PLEASE HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seavolt88

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hello all! I am in desperate need of help! The truck has around 120 thousand on it and recently while driving it quit idleing. I got the truck home and changed the IDLE air, TPS, put in a new battery and reset the computer and changed the PCV valve. Still the truck wont idle. The only way I can keep the truck running is by keeping it above 1000 rpm. My last quess would have been the EGR valve but apparently the truck does not have one. BTW the truck has the 5.9 in it. PLEASE HELP!!!

Koolkev1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 gas
Did you check the air filter???? Mine was running rough, changed out the air filter and made all the difference in the world. Also, sometimes when its raining and you follow someone too close you can suck some water into the air intake right into the air filter (even though its not supposed to happen!)
Is the truck throwing a code?

Koolkev1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 gas
Also have you checked your fuel pressure/delivery? Might not be getting enough fuel at the low rpms. Maybe weak pump??? The fuel filter and sending unit are all part of the pump...in the tank.

OP
OP
S

seavolt88

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
5.9 Cummins
hey! thank you for all the reply's!!! Yes we have put a new air filter in as well and no luck. right before I checked the thread I was told by my father in law it could be the pump/pressure regulator. Either way I was not looking forward to dropping the tank :( As for the fuel filter, I just read it's not actually built "in line" with the fuel line that it's also in the tank? am I correct in the location?

Koolkev1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 gas
Yeah its all in the tank....kind of a poor design if you ask me. However, replacing it isn't so bad...not a hard job but not a fun job. Rather than throwing good money after bad, do a fuel pressure test. If its a pressure issue, change the fuel pump. Its about a 2-3 hour job. That being said, might just be easier to take it to a shop and pay them 250 or so to do the job (plus the 250 for the pump of course!).
Good Luck

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are going to drop the tank yourself, make sure to use liberal amounts of penetrating oil on the tank strap bolts/nuts. Also be aware of the plastic vacuum line going to the fuel pump on top of the tank, if not careful it is easy to kink it. Hope you don't have a full tank of gas!