Working On Your Car/Truck Could Be Copyright Infringement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,

First off when I "buy" a car I own the car, truck, bus whatever. Secondly if I want to modify it that is my business and THAT is what I paid 10s of thousands of dollars for. If I have to take it to the dealer and I can't modify it then let's face it I don't really own it because I can only do what the manufacturer wants me to.
I really got a laugh out of this line: "Automakers: We Know Our Cars Better" I was like REALLY! then tell me why so many people are having different problems with all makes and models and getting the Could Not Duplicate and Normal op when neither of these is even close to true. If this goes through I will NEVER buy another new or even newer vehicle period.
HEY DETROIT DON"T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU!

preachp

OP
OP
ShyBoy

ShyBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with Kripple...it's all smoke just to get more people in to the dealerships and make more money.

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
It's the same dance software and crackers have been doing for decades, it doesn't matter what they try to do to keep you from repairing your vehicle..someone will figure out a way around it.

That being said most will not bother so as far as manufactures are concerned it's a success.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can see both sides of it.

They want to CYA because its their stuff since it has their name all over it (face it, we are all just advertisement when we drive around in our trucks), but i think that automakers should make things easier for us to troublshoot as well.

I mean really what the **** good is the check engine light is on, if it doesnt tell us exactly what is wrong, so we can fix it ourselves...it can be a $5 fix or an engine rebuild.

At the end of the day, if your truck/car is paid for, do what you want.

Truck name: Rampage
2012 Dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4
*Bilstein 2.8" front
*Bilstein shocks on rear with 1" spacer
*Pioneer AVH 4300DVD head unit
*Polk Audio Dxi350 dash speakers
*Kicker 40CSS654 6 1/2" door speakers (x4)
*fox box 2-12" speakers holder for rear seats
*2-12" alpine subs (swe -1243l
*500 watt alpine mono sub
*LED 3rd tail light smoked
*Spyder LED smokes tail lights
havent even started on the engine..lol

Copatlarge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Greedy Greedy ..... All boils down to the fact that they want more money coming to their dealerships...
That will never fly...

Bill

2012 Dodge Ram Quad Cab

knightlogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9 magnum
I own my truck out right so there for I will not taking to the dealer because its not under warranty anymore. There for i fix it myself so that I know whats going on with my truck. If I had money to buy the New power wagon then sure id take it in but for i have my 94 that i want to make a power wagon. But i agree its all a scare. The auto makers dont just want to come out an say that they need money because we are broke, no instead they word it we want your money for our ase certified people to look at your vehicle, when I know not all of them are. Also I think it has to do with emissions control and trying to keep people form having ''modifed'' vehicles, and they won't admit that they dont want auto parts stores to sell legal aftermarket parts, and they dont want to sell them OEM parts anymore.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just saw a different article on this same thing this morning. Check out this doozy of a line-
“letting people modify car computer systems will result in them pirating music through the on-board entertainment system.”
:roflsquared:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-ford-others-want-working-own-car-illegal-160000229.html

Wow! Seriously? That is hilarious! I'm 100% sure that you can pirate music without the on-board entertainment system. It don't take but two brain cells to figure that one out. Why is there hardly anyone left that can actually use there friggin brain anymore?
Next they will be shouting "we need to protect the children".

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
And if you remember they said you cant put an 8.4 in for replacing a 3.0 or 5.0 radio, oh and you cant switch out the stock bezel either! They build them but dont understand them!

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Most countries are creating permanent children via public education and overreaching government intervention and control. Critical thinking goes away with that which is part of the plan to create compliant and easily controllable citizens. Anyone that actually grows up is marginalized.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe they should spend as much time and effort making their vehicles reliable as they do on this stupidity!

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
I get where this could lead, but they're not saying "stop working on your car" like all the headlines imply. They're saying stop rewriting ecm coding because it's only a matter of time before somehow someone dies and they don't want to deal with the lawsuit.

That being said, there are a lot of people who shouldn't be working on cars and I would be all for regulating it. You can't modify gas lines or electric in someone's home without proper certifications but brakes? ****, that's easy and not critical at all. Auto repair has as much if not more likelihood to hurt someone than a electrical outlet that isn't done to code.

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
****** hell! If this BS keeps going on, I'm going to need a proper certification to wipe my own butt as to prevent any potential infection. Butt wiping really needs to be regulated.
Realistically I believe all this falls under "fair use" so nothing really is going to come from it even if this does happen. Sony tried to pull this BS and they got DENIED.

Well isn't that cute. BUT IT'S WROOOOONG!!!

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just my views. I have a tuned Audi A4, so I'm into tuning. But, I am a computer programmer who has sold custom software I built. I provided it compiled, it is illegal for any company to decompile compiled software. This is what tuning companies do. They extract the code off of the computer, and offer the ability to modify it, from timing, air fuel ratios, to things like coding vehicle to foreign settings (It bypasses US regulations, and codes the vehicle as say a European car).

We have gotten away with this since ODBII came out, but it will stop, it is intellectual property. Now, if you want to build your own computer, and code it the way you want, there would be nothing stopping you.

When it comes to aftermarket parts, that will continue, but what auto industry will do is simply build things in a way it takes proprietary tools, moldings to work on, then aftermarket companies will have to pay HIGH licensing fees, or risk suits.

The problem is, the auto industry has focused on leasing, and reduced profit from sales of vehicles, with the expectation to make money on service. They see a losing revenue stream, and are going to fight it.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi JPT,

OK then it should also be mandated that the access code is available to identify the various peripheral interfaces and logical mem blocks they occupy. I mean I build PC's too and I can make major changes to them without altering MS code. So what your saying is they should be allowed to regulate my access to the peripheral's ability to interface with the pcm, because that is what tuners do. The sensors on these engines are manufactured for the auto makers they do not build all their own sensors and as a matter of fact they don't build a lot of the modules that actually operate all this elctro gadgetry. So will this then become another Appleesque situation where they bought all this stuff and put it together badged it and then told the rest of the world "You have to pay for OUR licence fees to play." Because that is exactly where I see this whole mess going. It has nothing to do with safety and has everything to do with after the sale control and making more money.
JMHO

preachp

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
And if you remember they said you cant put an 8.4 in for replacing a 3.0 or 5.0 radio, oh and you cant switch out the stock bezel either! They build them but dont understand them!

They also said that artificial sweeteners were safe, WMDs were in Iraq and Anna Nicole married for love.......:laughing1: Good movie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452