Worrisome driveline noise in 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BikerDash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have an 03 QuadCab 1500 4X4 that has developed a nasty knocking sound when I have the 4WD engaged. Primarily is heard when trying to accelerate. Steady speed travel seems free of the sound. It sounds very similar to what this Jeep is sounding like.

I checked underneath the truck to see if there was anything visible but the only thing I noticed was that the front driveshaft seemed to have a lot of play. I'm not sure if this much play is normal, but I caught it on vid.

The 4WD does feel like it is engaging, as in I have traction from my front wheels.

The truck has just over 150k miles on her, and beyond this issue, she feels like she easily has another 150k miles still in her. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I have an 03 QuadCab 1500 4X4 that has developed a nasty knocking sound when I have the 4WD engaged. Primarily is heard when trying to accelerate. Steady speed travel seems free of the sound. It sounds very similar to what this Jeep is sounding like.

I checked underneath the truck to see if there was anything visible but the only thing I noticed was that the front driveshaft seemed to have a lot of play. I'm not sure if this much play is normal, but I caught it on vid.

The 4WD does feel like it is engaging, as in I have traction from my front wheels.

The truck has just over 150k miles on her, and beyond this issue, she feels like she easily has another 150k miles still in her. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

When you moved the front shaft by hand, did you have 4wd engaged? Mine moves freely like that when it's not engaged but I'm not sure about engaged.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does it knock when you turn,
my Dakota does that, klack-klack-klack-klack when 4x4 is engaged and turning left or right.
Chris

OP
OP
BikerDash

BikerDash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay... how difficult of a job is it to replace a CV joint on these trucks, and how do I tell whether it is left or right?