Yay! Another recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Luckily I've yet to experience this and use my e-brake. Should be interesting seeing what the notice says.

Fiat Chrysler Recalls 1.48 Million U.S. Pickups
By
Ryan Beene
December 22, 2017, 12:56 PM PST
  • Faulty component may let shifter slip out of park position
  • Company is aware of seven injuries that may be tied to issue
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV will recall 1.48 million Ram pickups in the U.S. on the risk that a faulty component on certain trucks could allow the vehicles to roll away inadvertently while in park, the company said Friday.

If a driver repeatedly sits in the truck with their foot on the brake for prolonged periods of time with the truck idling, a transmission safeguard can fail. If that happens, the truck can accidentally slip out of park and roll away, according to the company.

In a statement, Fiat Chrysler said seven injuries and "a small number" of accidents are potentially related to the defect.

The recall affects certain Ram pickups from the 2009 through the 2017 model years with transmission shifters mounted on the steering columns. Trucks with floor-mounted or rotary shifters are not affected.

"As always, we urge customers to use their parking brakes," Tom McCarthy, Fiat Chrysler’s head of safety compliance, said in a statement. "And to ensure that child occupants are not left unattended.”

The callback excludes Ram trucks built in the 2017 calendar year.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Just got the notice today. Wish it were a recall for bad PCM/TICM. As what I'm in for as of late. Lol.

The letter also states there is no remedy to the recall issue as of yet. Lol.

pilgrim6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am glad the recall only involves a safety device that prevents me from putting the truck into drive w/o my foot on the brake.. How did I ever manage to drive nearly a million miles before the government "saved" me by requiring such a device?
Pity the poor Ford owners, whose device fails in the opposite mode--failure prevents the truck from being shifted out of park; effectively immobilizing the truck.

liftedpsd2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heme
I am glad the recall only involves a safety device that prevents me from putting the truck into drive w/o my foot on the brake.. How did I ever manage to drive nearly a million miles before the government "saved" me by requiring such a device?
Pity the poor Ford owners, whose device fails in the opposite mode--failure prevents the truck from being shifted out of park; effectively immobilizing the truck.

Well not to disagree with you but if the truck is able to go into drive without the foot being on the brake for me that is very bad. My kids ride in my truck all the time and also ride in the front middle seat. For the shifter to look like an ac knob and then be able to be turned without having a foot on the brake causes a big issue. I’d rather my truck not be able to move than move and kill someone. I do own a ram and love it but think before you speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I thought the recall is only for the column shifter not the dial.

OP
OP
jaked1500

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It is the column shifter. I got the recall letter this week. There is no current fix and no instructions or steps to prevent it from happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
All these stupid safety features prevent fate from "thinning the herd" LOL