Your intake and why ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
What are all of you running for a intake and why ?

I am running a AFE ... because it came with the truck . On my old trucks (hemi's) I loved K&N . But I know they are not so good on a diesel.

Is AFE a good one in your opinion ?

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have yet to convince the other half to let me spend that much on one yet.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
lol .. you will get there bud

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
BHAF... (Big Honkin Air Filter)

Because it works very well with Idaho dirt roads NEVER leaks dust. The filter media will last up to 7 years and 130K miles of Idaho dirt roads.

BHAF Life in Idaho - YouTube

As for intake temp... Cold air intake are a not going to change it... If you hook up a ScanGauge II or simiular tool to monitor intake temps you'll fine the IAT is about +40*F over outside temp. Why???

OK... IAT has higher offset on the 24V trucks because of the simple fact of the location of the IAT sensor. You most likely didn't know that the entire bottom of the manifold is heated with 195*F coolant and there is a coolant plug within 3" of the IAT. So the fact of reducing the intake temp below outside temp will never happen. So if its 100*F outside and your cruising 55 MPH the air passing through the intercooler is still 100*F and will only cool to that point. Then when you add the 100*F air to a heated manifold of 195*F you end up with a offset of +40*F.

I've played with the stock air box, different ides of plumbing cold air to the tubro and you still have a +40*F offset... Even with weather down to -25*F it just about +50*F offset.

Now if you looking for MPG's warmer air produces better MPG's... As a matter of fact I've got my IAT unhooked and a 2.2K ohm resistor stuff in the plug and the IAT is stuck to 143*F permanently... Long story on the MPG fooler if you want to read about that go... HERE

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
What have you heard about AFE ? Good , bad , or par for the course ?

anoldbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Years ago I was told by an old man that the best way to run your diesel was getting all the cold air you can into the engine. At the time, most trucks had their air introduced from in the engine compartment, but all hard working trucks in the military was from outside the truck. (No I have no real technical data, just learning from an old man).

This is my 2nd diesel. But I have been running the K&N for years in all my vehicles. So, even though there is a wide discussion of the pro and cons on these filters, I've had no issues.

But I wanted a real CAI for my dodge, and Banks was the only one that had a true CAI at the time. (You just had to be willing to pay the big bucks) I've been very happy with it and no plans to change. Since then S&B has a system similar and is cheaper. I've never had problems with dust or debris getting past the filter and check for this every time I service the filter.

I've only known 2 people who own AFE systems and they say they are very happy with them. But if they change in the future, their looking at the S&B CAI with the extension.

MarbleCrusher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
VP Cummins
I went with a Volant CAI, i like it but in honestly if i hadnt just listened to a few opinions without doing some research I probably would have just gone BHAF.

-Jordan-

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
im running stock, cause i havent found a new one i like yet :)

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
What have you heard about AFE ? Good , bad , or par for the course ?

Good media just expensive...

im running stock, cause i havent found a new one i like yet :)

Watch for dust coming in the box you might see signs of it on the lid if so grease the sealing lip of the filter and this will stop the dust from getting in...

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Here is a pic

dc006482.jpg

692640f9.jpg

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
made mine out of poop pipe and use spectre blue filters. cheaper than buyin an exspensive one

dripley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 2500 ho 6 speed 4X4
Engine
5.9 24v cummins
i ran the K&N for many years without the problems that some other folks have seen. the seal was greased the whole time. i just got tired of messing with it and changed over the a BHAF. i have not seen any differance i how the truck runs from the K&N, but there aint nothing gonna get in that filter. and when it finnaly gets dirty enough to replace, just take it out and slap in a new one. with the price though i would like to think i can get 100k out of it and i would be very happy.