‘03 Ram 1500 Bed Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Hey guys, it’s been a while since I’ve been on the Forum, but I need some help. First off, I hope I’m posting in the right section. If not, I apologize. My issue is my truck bed has severely rotted front and middle cross members. The left front of the bed near the cab is actually not held down anymore, it moves and squeaks like mad. It’s so bad that side dropped a whole 1” compared to the other side which is still intact, for now.

In a perfect world, I’d get a replacement bed since my floor is somewhat rotted in that corner too. But because of my current medical condition and not working right now, I need to make due with what I got and try and fix it. I’m sure some of us have been in that situation before. Regardless, my buddy has agreed to try and help me redo the cross members. Luckily he’s pretty good at fabbing stuff, and he’s pretty good with a welder too. So there’s hope.

So here’s where I need help. We’ve both never taken a truck bed off before. I’ve watched the only video I could find which wasn’t long, and read up on how to do it. Some of it helped, but some of it was pretty vague. So I was wondering if anyone has ever taken a bed off a 3rd Gen Ram 1500..? If so, would it be possible to give me a step by step process of removing the bed..? How may bolts to remove, wiring to disconnect, etc. I know there’s more to it then that. But any step by step wakthrough of what to do would certainly help a lot. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Six bolts hold he bed on. You'll need to undo the few small bolts holding the filler neck on and take out the back lights. Just drop the wiring harness down so it doesn't get caught on the bed. Take the tailgate off too (super easy). There's a single grounding strap from the bed to the cab as well. That should be it IIRC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rambling

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Thank you for the help and the step by step walk through. Unfortunately we will only be able to tackle this at the start of August. But I will keep everyone updated. I’ll try and include pics as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk