‘06 34 gallon tank fuel gauge issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
when I’m near empty and fill up my tank I only get about 20 gallons in it.
Option list says it’s a 34 gallon tank and it looks huge.
Is it a common thing to have large fuel gauge discrepancies?
Even after replacing a bad fuel pump it reads the same.
I just bought the truck.
Thinking about putting a 5 gallon can in back and running it empty just to make sure I’m not wrong.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
My fuel gauge hasn't read correctly since installing an Airtex fuel pump from Autozone a few years ago. The warning light comes on with six gallons left and when I fill it up it only reads 7/8 full. Pretty sure I installed it correctly. I also have a 34 gallon tank.

gmbohuntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'd guess there's an issue with the gauge. I could see a small discrepancy, like maybe a 1/2 gal difference, but not that much. I'd hazard a guess that you've got a gauge issue either at the cluster our in the tank. Maybe the float is sticking...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My thoughts too. Thinking the gauge. Does Airtech make the Chrysler pumps? I used a precision from OReilly.
Anyhow I did do the Tachometer/instrument panel repair right after I bought it. Tachometer has been working great sense. Maybe there is a fuel gauge related issue too? Required resoldering a chip and putting in spacers. Never would have repaired that without the internet.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Airtex isn't OEM, it's an aftermarket brand and from what I've read not a very good one. You can do a self test of the gauges in the instrument cluster by holding down the trip odometer button while turning the key to the on position.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
When my gauge reads empty, I can only get 20 gal in it and I have a 26 gal tank. Could be some kind of default reserve or something.

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I believe Precision is Federal Mogul. Saw that on their wheel bearing recall for 02-08 2x4 Dodge Ram