“Trailer disconnected” message issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fogy2074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Hello!
I have just purchased a 2021 ram 1500 classic. 16k kilometers.
I installed a break control module ( aftermarket) and had the dodge dealership program it to tow my boat. Most of the time my new truck brakes dont work with my boat trailer.
Shows ” brakes disconnect” on the cluster. My boat trailer has a EOH system and still works with my old truck. I tested the new ram on a friends trailer with electric brakes and it works fine. It even worked a couple of times on my boat trailer but never since.
Light always work.
Not sure what to do.. Is there a certain range of voltage the brake module needs and any voltage over or under causes the error?
any help would be greatly appreciate.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aftermarket controller shouldn't need programing from the dealer. Something is boogered up.
I thought that was strange too.
OP:
What aftermarket controller do you have? If the dealership activated your OEM system without an OEM controller, that could cause the warning your seeing. Most aftermarket controllers do not interact or need the OEM system at all with the exception of that one brake controller plug.

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Well, if it works fine withyour buddies trailer but gives a message of check trailer with your trailer, then Check your trailer for good ground and if it has magnets for the brakes check them.
Alot of boat trailers have inertia activated brakes so unless you verify the brake system on the boat trailer can't really help much more than that.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do you have surge brakes on your boat trailer?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Electric over hydraulic brakes often require different settings than magnetic brakes. So it could be just a configuration issue. In previous generations of aftermarket controllers, some were not compatible with EOH. You need to clarify precisely what controller you have to get better answers. The original post is not clear.

OP
OP
F

Fogy2074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
I have EOH brakes. My old truck can still activate the brakes in my trailer but my new Ram won’t. It did once so maybe a short in the trailer end.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have EOH brakes. My old truck can still activate the brakes in my trailer but my new Ram won’t. It did once so maybe a short in the trailer end.

you might have to run a higher gain on your new brake controller as its not as aggressive low end as a 3rd party controller. I would rebuild the actuator or service it on your trailer. boat trailer brakes tend to require a lot of maintenance as there are typically left in elements and if you ever dip it in saltwater figure on new brakes every year.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
A poor ground will give the message. Make sure you have a solid ground from the trailer plug to the ground on the actuator unit on the trailer.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This trailer does exactly that. Did it with the 1 ton, does it with the classic. I’ve found the I need the cable to sit a certain way connected to the truck and it runs flawlessly. Just in front of the ball on top of everything with electrical grease. If I have the cable looped over, beside, or around differently it will ding and be randomly connected or not with a general state of unhappiness.

I may replace the plug on the trailer this year and reground.

5FBDB21A-8BB2-4555-B694-9817EF54368D.jpeg

Snapper 60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If most of the time they don't work and the trailer disconnected message show, it sounds like a wiring issue. I had similar issue on my journey head to WA, the road are quite rough here in Australia and the continuous movement of Truck & RV caused the disconnected message. I found by using electrical grease on the 12 pin plug fixed the issue.