01 Ram interior lights stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyD1002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9/360
Any idea what could be the issue? The interior lights stopped working recently. I checked the fuse on the side of the dash and it looks fine. Is there another fuse or something under the hood? I recently had a power steering pressure how leaking and squirting fluid under the hood so not sure if that could have impacted something?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any idea what could be the issue? The interior lights stopped working recently. I checked the fuse on the side of the dash and it looks fine. Is there another fuse or something under the hood? I recently had a power steering pressure how leaking and squirting fluid under the hood so not sure if that could have impacted something?
I doubt the power steering fluid had any affect in the interior lamps. The interior lamps get their B+ battery power from Fuse #12 in the Junction Block on the side of the instrument panel. The headlamp switch has a rheostat that controls the lamps when the park lamp switch is turned to the on position. Make sure that the rolling knob is not rolled all the way to the bottom position. If it is rolled all the way down it will turn off all of the interior lamps.

To verify you can look at the brightness of the instrument cluster and HVAC control head. Are the lights bright at night when you turn the park lamps or headlamps on?

OP
OP
B

BillyD1002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9/360
I doubt the power steering fluid had any affect in the interior lamps. The interior lamps get their B+ battery power from Fuse #12 in the Junction Block on the side of the instrument panel. The headlamp switch has a rheostat that controls the lamps when the park lamp switch is turned to the on position. Make sure that the rolling knob is not rolled all the way to the bottom position. If it is rolled all the way down it will turn off all of the interior lamps.

To verify you can look at the brightness of the instrument cluster and HVAC control head. Are the lights bright at night when you turn the park lamps or headlamps on?

I did check that roller first. That is not the issue. I was not sure if the fuse box under the hood could have had something wrong or been soaked with fluid but I checked under here since and that is all dry. I will try to get some time over the next week to keep searching. I wonder if something to do with an aftermarket alarm that was installed by the previous owner is an issue but I had pulled that out two years ago or more and no issues. I can also look into the switch. I recently replaced the directional piece because that was not allowing the wipers to work and I see it does not allow high beams to stay on, I can make them flash when I pull it but it does not stay on. I will try to search these gremlins as time permits.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I did check that roller first. That is not the issue. I was not sure if the fuse box under the hood could have had something wrong or been soaked with fluid but I checked under here since and that is all dry. I will try to get some time over the next week to keep searching. I wonder if something to do with an aftermarket alarm that was installed by the previous owner is an issue but I had pulled that out two years ago or more and no issues. I can also look into the switch. I recently replaced the directional piece because that was not allowing the wipers to work and I see it does not allow high beams to stay on, I can make them flash when I pull it but it does not stay on. I will try to search these gremlins as time permits.
If you go to the 2nd Gen Forum, I believe under the DIY Section you can find a 2001 Factory Service Manual. A quick check of the headlamp switch with a DVOM will tell you if the switch is capable of turning the interior lamps on and a look at the wiring diagram will tell you where they receive there power and ground from.

Rcortez05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
were you able to fix the lights? I have the same problem. how do Yo solve it? I have a 2019 Ram 1500 new body style

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock