01 transmission acting up, advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyD1002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9/360
The truck has 87k on it. Bought it two years ago and only put about 4k on it. The trans always seemed to make a noise when put in reverse but still worked fine. Recently the trans pan was leaking a good amount (the previous owner said trans was serviced not long before my purchase) so I found some loose pan bolts and tightened them up but that seems to just destroy what was left of the soaked gasket and it started pouring out. Rather than making a mess draining and replacing my pan gasket on the near seal-coated driveway, I took it up the block to the local mechanic. I get the truck back and drove it today and started to notice it slights when it downshifts from 2nd to 1st for a second. Does anyone know what that problem could be? I hope it is not the trans getting near the end of life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The truck has 87k on it. Bought it two years ago and only put about 4k on it. The trans always seemed to make a noise when put in reverse but still worked fine. Recently the trans pan was leaking a good amount (the previous owner said trans was serviced not long before my purchase) so I found some loose pan bolts and tightened them up but that seems to just destroy what was left of the soaked gasket and it started pouring out. Rather than making a mess draining and replacing my pan gasket on the near seal-coated driveway, I took it up the block to the local mechanic. I get the truck back and drove it today and started to notice it slights when it downshifts from 2nd to 1st for a second. Does anyone know what that problem could be? I hope it is not the trans getting near the end of life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Are you saying the trans "slips" when the 2-1 downshift occurs?

When the 2-1 downshift happens, does the engine RPM " flare up" a few hundred RPM before going in to 1st gear?

How are the rest of the shifts?

1-2 upshift okay?

2-3 upshift okay?

3-4 upshift okay?

How is the reverse engagement?

Soft, harsh etc.?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I know this sounds silly, but have you checked the fluid level? The mechanic may have just shorted it a bit.

OP
OP
B

BillyD1002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9/360
I forgot up update this thread. It was the fluid, mechanic shorted me. Seems better now. Still noise in reverse but that's been the case since I owned the truck.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I forgot up update this thread. It was the fluid, mechanic shorted me. Seems better now. Still noise in reverse but that's been the case since I owned the truck.
Low fluid level can cause numerous problems. Now that the fluid level has been corrected there is something else that can be done to eliminate the noise in reverse. What is most likely the cause of the noise is the regulator valve in the valve body.

It's not an expensive repair and can be performed with the transmission in the truck. Removal of the valve body is required to replace the regulator valve.

This is my educated guess. There is a TSB that addresses this concern in the 95-99 BR/BE trucks but I have used the parts from this TSB to repair the later model units.

TSB 21-08-99

Here is a link...

http://www.dodgeram.info/tsb/1999/21-08-99.htm

493mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10
My 1994 2500 has been making this noise for 138,000 miles now. I can live with it. I did put a Transgo kit in it at 60,000 miles and it shifts great.
Mike