02 4.7 I Bought Two Bad Vapor Canister Purge Solenoids in a Row?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Savatreatabvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the VCPS twice on my 2002 4.7. First time I bought the VCPS off amazon, I removed the battery cables, installed the VCPS and the CEL was off. The next day the CEL came back on so I replaced it again with one from Autozone but the CEL came back on 3 days later.

The VCPS was installed with the electrical connector on top, is this correct? If I have it installed upside down will it still work properly? They did come from amazon and Autozone so I guess it is possible I bought two bad brand new VCPSs in a row?

Is there a way to bench test a VCPS?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I replaced the VCPS twice on my 2002 4.7. First time I bought the VCPS off amazon, I removed the battery cables, installed the VCPS and the CEL was off. The next day the CEL came back on so I replaced it again with one from Autozone but the CEL came back on 3 days later.

The VCPS was installed with the electrical connector on top, is this correct? If I have it installed upside down will it still work properly? They did come from amazon and Autozone so I guess it is possible I bought two bad brand new VCPSs in a row?

Is there a way to bench test a VCPS?
I highly doubt that you purchased two faulty purge solenoids. You can bench test each one because they are simple circuit solenoids.

All you need is power and ground to the correct line in the connector and you can actuate the solenoid.

What DTC I'd setting in the PCM? Is it a purge solenoid circuit high or low DTC or is it an EVAP leak DTC? As old as the truck is I would inspect the rubber hoses at the leak detection pump and at the vapor canister that it's attached to.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am used to having things spelled out a couple of times

It took me awhile to figure out what the EVIC was, i still call it the instrument panel