02 Ram 1500 SLT 4.7- cant get to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottATL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500 SLT Long bed
Engine
4.7 4WD
Can’t get truck to start…

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 longbed 4.7L 130,000 miles

Background: last 6 mo, the idle would "intermittently" fluctuate from 400-100 rpms. Not sure if this has anything to do with current issue. Truck has always started without hesitation.

Other day the truck would crank but not fire. It caught finally and came to life. Then when left to idle it would die out. But crank back up. The next day I had issues with it again, we were heading to our 18yr olds beach birthday party. The truck finally started and I had issues driving there, that I would have to keep my foot on the gas so it didn’t die out. a couple times during the ride I noticed the speedometer jump from 35 down to 30 and back. not sure if it was electrical or if the the truck was just trying to die out. At the end of the day, I ended up having to have it towed back home as it wouldn’t start.

Checked all fuses and swapped relays around to rule them out.

Checked the fuel rail and had no pressure and also the gas gauge was not responding in the on position. Thinking that it was the fuel pump, we replaced it and found out that there was no current getting to the pump or the sending unit.

Bench tested the old pump and it worked. We proceeded to hot wire the pump to the fuse box to energize the pump and got the fuel rail to pressurize, but the truck would still not start.

During all this we, a couple times, tried using starter fluid to get the truck to start, which it did on 2 occasions for about 2 seconds. Repeated attempts since then have failed to get the engine to fire.
All instrument gauges except for the gas gauge work fine and when checked for codes, nothing registered.

Decided a quick stab in the dark would be to replace both the camshaft AND crankcase positon sensors. – Nothing.

Any help in diagnosing this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
First are you getting a check engine light if you getting a light then its throwing a code.If you haven't cleared the codes you will at least have a point of reference do not use a code reader use a scanner gives more info.Good luck.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Putting my money on tipcm (fuse box) they get corrosion inside on the board and reeks havoc on the electrical system. Unfortunately they don’t make new boxes for the 02’s so you have to junkyard it. Same situation with me with my 02, the asd relay wasn’t grounding out inside fuse box therefore causing a no start condition. It took 5 yes 5 replacement tipm’s to get one that everything work and nothing was jumped. With these trucks, you want to keep all connections and grounds clean and free of rust/corrosion etc. When your checking things, it would be a good idea to put some dielectric grease in all connections to keep out moisture, spray some corrosion inhibitor on your clean grounds to keep them clean. Try the key trick to see if there are any codes.

Retrieving codes from dash with key is pretty simple, turn the key to the last position 3 times and on the third turn, leave it in the last position but don’t start it, the codes, if any, will show where the mileage is, if no codes then it will read done.

OP
OP
S

ScottATL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 4WD
thanks guys, Fastf, the only thing at my disposal is a code reader which shows no codes.

SKYRAMMAN, im in GA, grew up in NY, and I know all about the havoc that rust and corrosion can play, but I am kinda doubtful being in GA that that is the issue (could be wrong) but almost everything under the hood is rust free. I tried what you suggested with the key and it didnt change anything, it just showed the mileage.

OP
OP
S

ScottATL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 4WD
SKYRAMMAN, ok I went back out it took a few extra turns of the key but I finally got it to pop up... there are no codes.. it showed Done

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
thanks guys, Fastf, the only thing at my disposal is a code reader which shows no codes.

SKYRAMMAN, im in GA, grew up in NY, and I know all about the havoc that rust and corrosion can play, but I am kinda doubtful being in GA that that is the issue (could be wrong) but almost everything under the hood is rust free. I tried what you suggested with the key and it didnt change anything, it just showed the mileage.
It’s not so much the rust as it is the humidity that causes corrosion inside connectors and fuse boxes.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yeah try to get your hands on a scanner or pay the 100 bucks to have it diagnosed. That’s the only way to figure this out, well except for throwing parts at it till you get it.

At least it’ll point you in the right direction, either the scanner or paying for a diagnosis.

OP
OP
S

ScottATL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 4WD
Thanks, I was hoping that maybe someone had an aha moment that I was unaware of and could say"yup" that happened to me.

before sending it to a shop Im gonna do a hard reset on the tipm and check all the pins to see if there is any corrosion on it. If not then off to the garage

Thanks again and if anyone else has any thoughts, please chime in.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have much input beyond what everybody else has stated, however, IF the issue is your TIPM, you could contact CircuitBoardMedics to see if they can repair it. Your TIPM may not be on their list of services, but I have noticed that other places will do work that they normally don't have on their list of services.

Last edited:

Jaypilot00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am having a similar issue crank no start, I replaced the cam and crank sensors cuz they were cheap and easy. No change, the fuel gauge is the only thing on the dash not working. I pulled all the connections on the tipm and saw no corrosion,( Florida truck ) it does have 390k for mileage so maybe the control module attached to the tipm has given up the ghost? Or maybe the pcm is toast after this much mileage. Any updates as to the repair of your truck??

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
These trucks are usually picky about sensors too am on my 3rd aftermarket oil pressure sender and need to get an OE one, on my '02 1500, just FYI.

Being that your fuel pump circuit had no power, I would suspect TIPM as well.

Sorry I am no help. Wish you the best on a solution.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452