03-04 5.7L APPS obsolete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the update MrFixIt... Do you think this is what is causing the issue you are having when braking to a stop?

OP
OP
MrFixIt

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well. Keeping my troubleshooting pretty open right now. I'd say the symptom is rooted in the torque converter or engine downshift or PLC and less in the engine or idle or throttle body. We have the one major symptom and several surrounding techniques as follows:

When the truck slows to a stop on it's own with no pedal being touched, such as going up a hill slightly to stop. There is no problem with the vehicle.

When just sitting and idling from a cold start the engine idles for about a minute at 450 RPM then stalls, might be too rich of an idle.

When the engine is idling with a warm engine the idle settles in about 500-550 RPM and keeps running for defrosting the windows, etc.

When driving, the engine runs fine. As a side note: Downshifting seems a bit delayed as I have to press pretty far down and then it shifts from 5th to 2nd in one jump even at 60-65 MPH, the RPM protect comes on at 5500 RPM until the tranny shifts to 3rd at 3200RPM and as I let off it goes through 4th to 5th very quickly. I can hold it at 4th by turning overdrive off.

When driving, slowing to a light or stop sign, at 5-6 seconds the Lightning bolt illuminates and after about 5 seconds of that the engine will stall. Release the brake before the light illuminates or before the engine gets to about 400 PRM; the vehicle will drive normal again. Turn the steering wheel in the second 5 seconds with the light illuminated and the engine stalls immediately.

The way I drive it is if I press the brake pedal, I count to 4, release the brake and re-apply. Other than surging to slow the vehicle, it drives normally.

So, I plan to have an electronic device made to flicker the brake switch for 100msec every 4-5 seconds and see if that is a remedy. I'll update after I install that in a month or so.

Thanks for reading, Mr. Fix It, WA

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you getting any codes? Are you able to test the transmission control module (the BCM)?

I know this would take more than one person (and probably perfect timing), but can you try to get a code reading when the issue is happening and the red lightning bolt is on?

OP
OP
MrFixIt

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are you getting any codes? Are you able to test the transmission control module (the BCM)?

I know this would take more than one person (and probably perfect timing), but can you try to get a code reading when the issue is happening and the red lightning bolt is on?
Great idea. I'll try to get the active code during the stall. might take a few restarts.