03 TMR Delete Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The 03 TMR Delete Mod comes up every now and then and only takes a couple of minutes and is free. So I searched around and found pictures from another forum and have posted the mod here for future reference. This mod can only be done on the 03 model, all the newer trucks need to buy a tuner. This is a no BS mod that cost nothing and works by removing the torque management request coming from the TCM to the PCM. I've had this mod installed on my 03 for a few years with no adverse side effects. If you are concerned it will hurt something then don't do it.

Location of TCM...

dcp7163.jpg

Remove center bolt and pull plug out.

dcp7159.jpg

Remove the red pin holder.

dcp7161.jpg

Pull wire from pin #10 and tape off the end. Put it all back together and test drive!

dcp7162.jpg

This is really very simple to do, locate the Yellow/Dark Green wire (#10) and remove from the plug or simply cut it leaving enough to reconnect if you ever want to. Fold back the ends and cover with heat shrink.

I don't know how to cut and paste from a PDF file but you can find the schematic on the 03 manual at "Transmission Control System" (8W-31-8).

Good luck....

RAMpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
custom 5.7/6.1 hemi hybrid
That's awsome. What's actually different about your truck with this done compared to stock? Just wondering what it actually did for you so I can decide to do it this weekend possibly

RAMpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
custom 5.7/6.1 hemi hybrid
ok sounds like il be doing this for sure after this one last question lol. my new trannys gonna have a line pressure booster and a shift kit, doing the tmr delete on top of that i should still be ok??? i dont know jack about an ato tranny and dont want to be putting too much line pressure to it or something and end up messing it up again.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
You are fine, I have been running both TMR and Transgo together for a long time with no adverse side effects..

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
^^ x 2. For our 03 not sure if adding the line Booster Mod helps if you have installed the Transgo Resistor (which I did) that the instructions say not to if you have a Tuner (That doesn'y apply though for the 03 IMO). It is supposed to Boost the Line pressure hence why i didn't get that xtra Booster Mod. So then I have a great question. If adding the Line Pressure booster mod does a fellow remove the Transgo Resistor??

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
^^ x 2. For our 03 not sure if adding the line Booster Mod helps if you have installed the Transgo Resistor (which I did) that the instructions say not to if you have a Tuner (That doesn'y apply though for the 03 IMO). It is supposed to Boost the Line pressure hence why i didn't get that xtra Booster Mod. So then I have a great question. If adding the Line Pressure booster mod does a fellow remove the Transgo Resistor??

TMR (Torque Management Request) and Line Booster are two different things. Line booster basically comes in two styles, Transgo and Sonnex, Transgo uses a 2.2k resistor parallel with the pressure sensor which is a rheostat and the Sonnex which uses a 15 ohm resistor inline or series with the sensor output. Both do the same thing in as that they alter the Line Pressure signal to the TCM.
The TMR mod on the other hand simply removes the torque management request signal to the TCM which is one of the determining inputs that adjust the internal shift (pressure) schedule and shift points. The TCM on newer model trucks is internal to the PCM. Our TCM is seperate from the PCM and allows us to access the connecting cable.
Good luck..

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I understand the TMR Mod Greg and how it works, Just wanted to confirm if I'm runnin the Transgo Resistor then the Sonnex Set-Up is not required? Correct!:)

Edit: From your reply I take it the answer is "Not ReQ." in my case. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Thanks, I understand the TMR Mod Greg and how it works, Just wanted to confirm if I'm runnin the Transgo Resistor then the Sonnex Set-Up is not required? Correct!:)

Edit: From your reply I take it the answer is "Not ReQ." in my case. Thanks.

Danny,
You have brought up something I have ben thinking about. What exactly are the differences between the two methods and how they altered the signal voltage. I need to experiment a little, but there maybe some benefit in making a hybrid of the two. Of course different values would have to be used but a specific voltage clamp might be possible using a hybrid.
Also I just bought a 300 psig sensor from AeroForce to use on the AI analog input to read line pressure. But thinking about it, the sensor may not have been necessary as the LP sensor voltage is a 0-5 volts signal. Maybe the signal can be directly connected to the AI analog input and read as a reference voltage? Put the trans in Reverse and whatever number shows on the AI will represent 250 psi. Then just gage the difference seen on the Ai between 0-5 when in other gears. Thinking out loud.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Makes sense. I Like Ratio's Kinda like figuring out the interest on the next Visa statement when you can't pay it off (Diapers and Formula)! LOL.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
We lost power in the area sometime early this morning so had a nice quiet day, got to thinking about the LP again and put this non-techinical evaluation together.
So here’s my evaluation of the two types of transmission Line Pressure (LP) boosters. Frist the Transgo style with a 2.2K ohm resistor paralleled with the LP sensor which is a pressure operated rheostat. The second type is the Sonnax style which has a 15 ohm resister in series with the signal output. Both types end up with pretty much the same results, but the Trango is a little more sophisticated in has since it is parallel it adds the most offset value when the LP sensor is reading the least and as the sensor reads higher pressure the offset becomes less. The Sonnax simply adds a fixed value to whatever the output signal is without regard to the pressure value.
My thought is to build a hybrid of the two types. 135 psig is “in gear” pressure for everything but reverse which is 250 psig. Got no idea why reverse is so high except maybe it was just too difficult to regulate so the engineers just let it run off the pump. Anyway I would like to see an initial pressure of 185 psig. Sonnex is suppose to provide 30 psig increase using a15 ohm resistor so maybe replace that value with 10 ohm resistor and then parallel the LP sensor using the 2.2k ohm Transgo booster. This would give a varying pressure and still be clamped to a higher overall LP. I’ll have LP monitoring gage set up so I’ll be able to fine tune the restistor values to get the targeted LP. I read Shardon did a successful test at 185 psig for a off road racer. Can’t find the article now, but I’ll keep looking for it. As for running the higher pressure my thought is if reverse can stand 250 psi why can’t the other clutches? The reduced pressure from what I have read is all about reducing parasitic losses with nothing mentioned about anything else. You can easily see where I am going with this, if and when I blow up a transmission it is going to break something, not just burn up some slipping clutches. Inputs are always welcomed..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hey Guys, Just want to point out DirtyJohn has a excellent DIY post on the trans Line Pressure mod. And at the same time post a correction. The resistor value is 2.2k ohm as John has stated. Somehow I got 220k ohm locked into the old memory cells and it is wrong.
The correct value is 2.2K ohm. I apologize for posting bad info.

Last edited:

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
this is why i love this forum. just came across this and did it and WOW. just what i was lookin for. i hated it the truck died out from 1st-2nd. not any more!

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this is why i love this forum. just came across this and did it and WOW. just what i was lookin for. i hated it the truck died out from 1st-2nd. not any more!

Great to hear man!!!

03whiteram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Powertech
Recently looked into the specs for the SC Flashpaq and Cortex. I noticed that they have the ability to tune the trans now for the 03 Ram 4.7. Can anyone confirm? Also, I have been thinking about making the pressure line booster for my truck; would running the SC complicate things with the pressure line booster installed.

I have read that in the 03 4.7 models, some came with the separate TCU and PCM? Any info on that. One more question, did the 545RFE start in 03 or 04. When I looked into superchips, the only option was a 545RFE transmission. I am waiting for a build sheet, so hopefully I can find something out soon.

I am deployed right now, so it makes things a little harder on me to find out right now.

SuppaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did this yesterday!

It took 5 minutes, a 1/4 inch ratchet, a 1 inch extension(not required), 8mm socket, electrical tape, and an eye glass flat screwdriver... Awesome gain from 1st to 2nd, no more beating around the bush, it's go time once you hit the pedal. :) I haven't noticed any difference to my MPG. It does take a little bit of getting used to, because it won't hesitate to kick sideways at any given moment now. AWESOME POST!!

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to Hear it! A must do Free Mod if you have an 03. For about an extra 60 Bucks and 15 minutes of your time when you change your Trans Fluid Next slap in the Bigger Springs in your Valve Body and splice in the Resistor for Line Boost (Transgo HD Shift Kit) as it wakes her even more.

P.S. Go ahead and Introduce Yourself and show a Pic of your Ol Truck as I am Interested in what the OFF-Road Package Really was for 03 compared to aftermarket Mods. Welcome to RF. Danny

Last edited:

SuppaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to Hear it! A must do Free Mod if you have an 03. For about an extra 60 Bucks and 15 minutes of your time when you change your Trans Fluid Next slap in the Bigger Springs in your Valve Body and splice in the Resistor for Line Boost (Transgo HD Shift Kit) as it wakes her even more.

P.S. Go ahead and Introduce Yourself and show a Pic of your Ol Truck as I am Interested in what the OFF-Road Package Really was for 03 compared to aftermarket Mods. Welcome to RF. Danny

I've actually got one on here, from back a few months ago. We are having crappy weather or I would add many more pictures of it. I'm not sure how to get the picture to post in my replies like your's. Any help?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That Pics Ok, Nothing Wrong with a Dirty Truck, I recognize your Rims and its come back to me know (SXT Off road Decal on the Box?)