04-08 steering wheel swap into 02-03 setting the record straight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

High Plains Drifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 H.O
I have seen countless threads on the web about this. Even people trying to claim others have mounted the later 04-08 steering wheel in a 02-03 but the connectors were different. This is a LIE.

The wheel will not even mount up. 02-03 RAM steering wheel uses a smooth press in type center on the steering wheel, with a small groove machined in to install it in the correct spot. The 04-08 wheel uses the typical teeth style pattern. 02-08 is basically a carry over from the previous generation of dodge trucks. 02-03 steering wheels mount identical to 2001 shaft wise.

Moving on

I acquired an entire 04 column to put into my 02 RAM, it bolts up and everything on the 02 plugs in, key barrel swaps in. But another problem arises, the knuckle that connects to the steering rack is machined slightly different which does not allow the 04-08 column to slip in. Changing the knucle is not a big deal depending how far you want to go with a cosmetic steering wheel swap. Other wise this swap will work perfect with all of the parts listed.

So there you have it. If someone says they have mounted a factory 04-08 wheel on a 02-03 column they haven't.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok, so you are saying that if you get a entire 04+ column it is plug and play other than the knuckle? So all controls function properly and air bags are good. I know the 04+ airbag system is two stage and the 03- are single stage. Single is one deployment rate and two is dependent on speed of crash deploys two different speeds.

I want to confirm all of this because i plan on doing the swap into my 02 very soon.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, so I just did the swap complete 04 column into my 02. Had to shave very little off the shaft where it connects to the knuckle inside the truck. That was simple and quick with a dremel. Could use a file really not much to take off. Everything does endeed match up no worries. However the air bag light is on now, so im sure something is not the same. Need advice is there something I need to do?

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and my original did not have radio controls this 04 does which do not work, everything else though. Also mine and new one both do not have the skim module in case someone was wondering.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will keep posting so anyone interested can know my progress... I have corrected the "air bag" light with a replacement clockspring (remember need same year as the new steering column in this case 04) this shut off that light, but i still do not have horn or radio controls. I am thinking the radio controls is because on the airbag wire harness from the truck that you plug into the bottom of the clockspring only has two wires not 4. The horn i have to check the fuse or wires, but that is odd to me at this point. The clockspring being bad was most likely my fault as i removed the lock cylinder to swap myn in i let the steering wheel spin round and round numerous times during the whole swap process which obviously torch the clockspring so DONT do what i did and let the wheel spin completely around in any direction.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i will keep updating as i solve the horn and radio control function issues...

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
have not really done anything about it lately. I do know it was not my FCM, so that was a start. Thinking it is the switch in the airbag that is bad at this point. As for radio controls I did not have them from the factory so most likely either have to have the dealer turn it on and or run wiring for it. That i am not worried about since i put in a android double din radio.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Final update: 100% succesful on the swap. I did get lazy about the horn not working for a long time, but took a few and figured it out.

I have a 2002 so maybe different with 2003, but I did buy a column from a 03 and verified that particular one was wired the same as the 04 05, so maybe in 02 it was different or my po really jacked with the wiring like elsewhere throughout the truck.

anyway came down to the horn wire in the wrong position on the harness that plugs into the clockspring on the column side not inside behind the airbag.

Pulled the pin out and moved to correct position that now left me with a random all black wire that i cannot figure out what is for so did not put back in harness. then to get the radio controls to work since i have a kenwood double din bought a pac adapter then threw in the 2 wires needed to do the mod for adding steering wheel radio controls wired into pac and bam 100% works.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can say in the end if it was not for the horn wire all i had to do to swap a 04/05 complete steering column into a 02/03 is you will have to shave down 100's of an inch off the end of the shaft of the column that slips into the knuckly down by the brake/gas pedals. Thats it, thats all, very simple, and I would do it cause the 02/03 wheels are ugly and make the truck feel like a 2nd gen in my opinion.

BigBlue01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
What about an 02-03 steering wheel swap to an 01? I’d like to put audio controls on my 01.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have seen countless threads on the web about this. Even people trying to claim others have mounted the later 04-08 steering wheel in a 02-03 but the connectors were different. This is a LIE.

The wheel will not even mount up. 02-03 RAM steering wheel uses a smooth press in type center on the steering wheel, with a small groove machined in to install it in the correct spot. The 04-08 wheel uses the typical teeth style pattern. 02-08 is basically a carry over from the previous generation of dodge trucks. 02-03 steering wheels mount identical to 2001 shaft wise.

Moving on

I acquired an entire 04 column to put into my 02 RAM, it bolts up and everything on the 02 plugs in, key barrel swaps in. But another problem arises, the knuckle that connects to the steering rack is machined slightly different which does not allow the 04-08 column to slip in. Changing the knucle is not a big deal depending how far you want to go with a cosmetic steering wheel swap. Other wise this swap will work perfect with all of the parts listed.

So there you have it. If someone says they have mounted a factory 04-08 wheel on a 02-03 column they haven't.
I don't remember ever seeing this thread but godd@mn is it ever wrong lol. 04-08 wheel bolts right AND plugs right in. Full of crap lol. 2004 wheel in my 2003 :33:

IMAG4068.jpg

What about an 02-03 steering wheel swap to an 01? I’d like to put audio controls on my 01.
Don't think that'll work, but if you're interested in trying I think I might still have my old 2003 wheel.

coldstartneighbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins

Moving on

I was perusing the web as I was trying to figure out my horn issue, after swapping my steering wheel from my 04 1500 hemi (that unfortunately got wrecked and deemed a total loss) over to my 03 3500 cummins.

I don't usually comment on forums unless I find a compelling reason to do so (either seeing misinformation or if I found a solution that no one else has yet). Well this thread certainly ticked both of those boxes.

First off, the claim that "anyone who says they swapped an 04+ steering wheel into an 03 minus truck is lying" is a lie in itself. How do I know? Cuz I swapped mine. In the parking lot of a collision shop with only the most basic tools. The whole swap in both trucks probably took 1.5 hours. Now that I'm familiar with the process, I could probably do each wheel in 20 or 30 minutes.

Having a steering wheel puller would have been the only thing I wish I has at the time. But a set of Sockets, pretty much the full arrangement from 4mm to 20mm should be plenty. Maybe have an extension or two and a couple screwdrivers for good measure. I can attest, these wheels will mount up, I didn't even have yo shave anything off.

I will caution anyone who goes to attempt this, be sure the clock spring stays in the same position. I'm not sure what will and won't work if it falls out of position, but it's much easier to keep it where it needs to be.

I will say, my cruise control buttons don't work, not a huge loss as the other wheels buttons did work, but the truck didn't follow their instructions. The 04 wheel also has volume controls, which obviously don't work on the 03 (I'm pretty sure I've never seen an 03 and older come with the volume controls, so I'd doubt dodge even ran the wires from the clock spring panel to the stereo, for a volume wheel to even have a chance at working).

All else works fine, no slop, or at least no more than usual, horn works as it should. Was it worth it? I suppose- I really liked my 04, and driving with the same wheel reminds me of that truck. Would I do the swap again? Probably not, especially if there wasn't sentimental value involved. And definitely not if my cruise buttons used to work.

Anyway, yes, we exist. The legends who make the impossible happen

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was perusing the web as I was trying to figure out my horn issue, after swapping my steering wheel from my 04 1500 hemi (that unfortunately got wrecked and deemed a total loss) over to my 03 3500 cummins.

I don't usually comment on forums unless I find a compelling reason to do so (either seeing misinformation or if I found a solution that no one else has yet). Well this thread certainly ticked both of those boxes.

First off, the claim that "anyone who says they swapped an 04+ steering wheel into an 03 minus truck is lying" is a lie in itself. How do I know? Cuz I swapped mine. In the parking lot of a collision shop with only the most basic tools. The whole swap in both trucks probably took 1.5 hours. Now that I'm familiar with the process, I could probably do each wheel in 20 or 30 minutes.

Having a steering wheel puller would have been the only thing I wish I has at the time. But a set of Sockets, pretty much the full arrangement from 4mm to 20mm should be plenty. Maybe have an extension or two and a couple screwdrivers for good measure. I can attest, these wheels will mount up, I didn't even have yo shave anything off.

I will caution anyone who goes to attempt this, be sure the clock spring stays in the same position. I'm not sure what will and won't work if it falls out of position, but it's much easier to keep it where it needs to be.

I will say, my cruise control buttons don't work, not a huge loss as the other wheels buttons did work, but the truck didn't follow their instructions. The 04 wheel also has volume controls, which obviously don't work on the 03 (I'm pretty sure I've never seen an 03 and older come with the volume controls, so I'd doubt dodge even ran the wires from the clock spring panel to the stereo, for a volume wheel to even have a chance at working).

All else works fine, no slop, or at least no more than usual, horn works as it should. Was it worth it? I suppose- I really liked my 04, and driving with the same wheel reminds me of that truck. Would I do the swap again? Probably not, especially if there wasn't sentimental value involved. And definitely not if my cruise buttons used to work.

Anyway, yes, we exist. The legends who make the impossible happen
Welcome, interesting first post lol. Evidently didn't read all the way through lol (yes, 02-03 1500 and 03 2500-3500's could get steering wheel audio controls as an option): https://www.ramforum.com/threads/04...the-record-straight.57904/page-2#post-2612808