Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Olfuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have gone through every headlight post I can find on every forum I can find. I have a similar problem to others in some but nothing seems to be exact.
I have an 04 1500. The high beams work, low beams do not on either side. Blinkers and all other lights work. No other electrical issues.
The fuses that are the headlight fuses are good, although there is nothing I can find that actually determines they are the headlight fuses, the lights don't work at all when pulled.
I tried a different FCM, same exact issue.
I tried brand new lights, both signals and headlights, same problem.
I took apart the high/low switch and saw no signs of breakage or damage (although it may not be visible).
The pins for the high beam and low beam headlights are reading 3 to 4 volts on each. Both sides so I assume there isn't an issue given the high beams work?
When I take out the FCM and insert it again, right when I start to put it in both the wipers and the low beam lights show activity for a second and then the lights go out and low beams don't work again.
The "Lamp out" indicator on the dash was on, but has mostly been off the whole time I have been fighting this. I can get it to come back on with some module swapping but it doesn't seem to determined to stay lit. Low beams remain dead no matter what.
What is the likelihood that two FCM's would present the exact same problem? My basic understanding of these components makes me thing not much.
Is there a relay that could be out? If so which one is it and why isn't the damn thing listed as such anywhere on any diagrams or in the box cover.....GAH!
I have worked hard to not be a lazy information poacher, read everything and watched every video I can find. I am absolutely out of ideas. I don't have much to throw into swapping parts out hoping for a lucky fix and hope someone here with more knowledge or first hand experience may have some ideas to narrow this down. I feel like its pretty damn narrow given all that I have seen but have exceeded my problem solving capacity.
If the low beams come on briefly with the insertion of the FCM and I hear a clicking would that suggest a relay? I am under the impression if the FCM is bad that its just dead. Could it be the switch somehow? That doesn't make sense to me although I am happy to take a scolding about that and be wrong. Wouldn't the lights coming on at all suggest the wiring is good? As some have said the FCM may need to be shimmed. But if I stop inserting the module immediately as the low beams come on they still go right back out.
Anyway, I think that is all the notes I have managed to gather thus far. Thank you to anyone for any additional ideas or thoughts.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Personally, as lazy information poacher myself, I don't condemn others for it as long as they are also information providers.

The Instrument Cluster monitors the headlamp
and multifunction switch operation. When the headlamp
switch is rotated to the parking lamp or On
position, the Instrument Cluster sends a J1850 message
to the Front Control Module (which is mated to
the power distribution center to become the Integrated
Control Module) to illuminate the appropriate
bulbs. When the multifunction switch is activated to
the optical horn (flash to pass) or high beam position, the Instrument
Cluster illuminates the high beam indicator
and sends a J1850 message to the Front Control
Module to illuminate the appropriate bulbs.

Sounds like your problem is in the "cough" instrument cluster, or the cluster thinks there is a problem with your low beams.

So when you try to go to your low beams, will your brites/brights go off?

I'm looking at the wiring diagram now for a relay.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So if your brites go out when you pull back on the stalk, and your low beams just don't come on, I'm guessing the stalk is OK.

Have you tried cleaning C7 with some de-oxit, or tried pulling C7 and jumping 12 volts directly to pins 6 and 22 to see if your low beams come on? And these are not LED bulbs correct?

1655464373924.png

OP
OP
O

Olfuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you tried cleaning C7 with some de-oxit, or tried pulling C7 and jumping 12 volts directly to pins 6 and 22 to see if your low beams come on? And these are not LED bulbs correct?
I have not tried the above, and they are not LED. I'm probably going to shelf this for now but will pick it up here with your last suggestions, I have a lot to do in preparation for the move and I have brights which are not as bright as many of the new cars lows. Once I get settled I'll pick this back up. I will have to, it will make me nuts until I know whats going on. Thank you again for your replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye