04 hemi grounding issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

devon1996

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I've got this 04 hemi and it's got a bizzare issue. Alternator light comes on randomly and when it comes on the temperature gauge stops working. You can turn the truck off and back on and it will go back to normal. I cleaned the block ground and the ecm ground on the firewall with no improvement. I even ran a wire directly from the ecu ground to the block. Battery is charging fine and the truck runs fine but it has a check engine light on for the temperature sensor. Sometimes it pegs to max heat and sometimes it's stuck on cold. Charge meter works fine.

mizewilliamc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
What lead you to believe your issue is on the ground side? Make sure all of your tipm connectors are free of liquid and dirt, and that there are no burn marks (the plastic will be more shiny than the surrounding area if it’s been burnt) and do the same with your pcm connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

devon1996

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What lead you to believe your issue is on the ground side? Make sure all of your tipm connectors are free of liquid and dirt, and that there are no burn marks (the plastic will be more shiny than the surrounding area if it’s been burnt) and do the same with your pcm connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Ill take a look at the tipm

OP
OP
D

devon1996

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I checked the tipm and the ecu it looks pretty good. I cleaned the power to the tipm from the battery no change. The factory repair manual doesn't give me much insite into what is going on either.

OP
OP
D

devon1996

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I'm stupid haha turns out the lighting bolt isn't for the alternator it's the ETC failure light. So I'm sure it just needs the coolant temp sensor replaced and that will solve the problem.

mizewilliamc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Have you pulled any codes from the obd2 port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

devon1996

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah it's throwing a code for coolant sensor performance. So more than likely the sensor is bad.