04 to 05 PCM swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If a non-skim PCM was installed in a truck with an immobilizer installed. The pcm will become skim acrive. Does everything function normally only showing a code? Or is the engine shutting down after starting?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
You can read the pcm with your scanner getting the vin. If it has a wrong vin showing then it id from another vehicle.

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
If a non-skim PCM was installed in a truck with an immobilizer installed. The pcm will become skim acrive. Does everything function normally only showing a code? Or is the engine shutting down after starting?

Or maybe a PCM with SKIM might have been installed in a non SKIM truck? I'm really not sure. :-/ I don't have a scanner. :-/ I got P0633 from two different Oreilly readings (just before it died and still had a CEL) and from rocking my key (as well as U0168). It was stalling on start up but every day the symptoms change a little bit. The tach is erratic and surges and hunts, whether the RPMs actually do or not. The windshield wipers turn themselves on, even if I am no where near the truck. I thought maybe the battery or alternator were bad, but they test ok. The dash gauge says the battery voltage is low, but it tested fine. Yesterday it was still stalling in gear (R or D) as soon as I let my foot off the brake. Today it let me back up a few feet in the driveway and didn't stall until I put it in Drive. I changed the crankshaft sensor. I changed the TPS. I cleaned the TB and IAC. I also changed out a fractured ground strap under the truck near the crank sensor. ALL these gremlins, but no CEL and P0633. :-/

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Have you ever been able to drive the truck since you've own it? I would remove the steering column cover to see if an immobilizer is installed. This will clarify 100% if it has skim. Clean and check ground straps. Rams are very sensitive to grounds and batteries.

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
Yes I was able to drive it for about 3 weeks, and the last week or so there it sits. I was trying to find all the grounds and improve them, yes. It "feels" to me very much like an electrical problem. My Ford did this when it's key fob battery went dead. And my Chevy did this over a loose ground cable.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
If you were able to drive it 3 weeks using the same key and pcm then it isn't skim locked. I don't know what is causing the code. Good grounds are critical. Might consider a new battery. I would do a battery disconnect (reset) and a full charge.

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
If you were able to drive it 3 weeks using the same key and pcm then it isn't skim locked. I don't know what is causing the code. Good grounds are critical. Might consider a new battery. I would do a battery disconnect (reset) and a full charge.

I went on and made my own thread under general discussions. I had already (maybe twice) done the disconnect, charge and reset, but I had been tossing around the idea of a new battery, too. It did test ok with the voltmeter, but I don't know how old it is. Go on and look at what I found today while I was nosing around in there. I was looking for more grounds to check and my camshaft sensor and my EGR when I found those tubes. They might be off the EGR, I think it is back there in the back where I found these, isn't it lol. Anyway I put it in my own thread and with pictures and just (smh). I smelled plastic burning before the stalling started, and couldn't ever find the source of it. But I don't want to keep cluttering up this thread.