'05 Ram 5.7 5-45RFE transmission not working and making a winding slight noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

repsol17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, I posted this in the general section with little help, hoping this is the place to ask

I'm the original owner of a '05 Ram Daytona 2WD 5.7 with 135k miles. I know the trucks history since I'm the only owner and driver.
I took her on a little trip from Florida to Georgia (~ 600 miles) with a 4 day rest in between. While returning, along the Florida turnpike at a speed around 75 mph, I suddenly heard a "pop" from underneath and lost power with the truck still running perfect. I cruised to the shoulder and shut her down.

I've self tested correctly using the key in ignition and turning off/on method and it shows no codes. The truck starts and runs perfect and smooth as should. The issue is the transmission. There is no power from the transmission in any gear. As if it's in neutral in every gear. It shifts into every gear with without any hang-ups as should also. Truck does shift into park and holds in park. There is a light winding sound from the trans at idle and of course it ramps up when I throttle up, it can also be heard after shutting the engine off for a few seconds. It's not a loud winding sound and to the average person it might be hard to recognize. There is no other sounds, no leaks (all dry underneath) and still full of its trans fluid. No smell of anything odd also.

I have never towed anything behind this truck nor have I ever been hard on the driving and trans. What driving there has been done has all been easy miles. I change oil every 5k, have change rear end fluid once and trans fluids 3x, I've maintained this truck very well

I know engines very well but know very little about transmissions. Could this be a shift solenoid inside the trans fluid pan? and would it cause it to make a winding noise ? I've read a few things about "line-pressure". Could a "line-pressure" valve go bad with any leaking or show of wear? Or does this sound more internal and possible replacement?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and advise
Darrell