06 AC Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greydodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
Have a 06 2500 w/cummins, 330,000 miles, owned since new, been a great truck with the only repairs being age related, Just had the AC replaced (comp, cond, tubes, etc) worked for 1 day and quit. Had AC guy back out and he found that there is only 6V going to compressor which it needs at least 11 to kick in. the wires don't look that bad going to it. AC guy seems to think it could be the ICM, due to the age and miles on the truck I don't have a problem changing it, but if its something a little simpler that that would be great.
Any thought would be appreciated
Thanks

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you check the compressor clutch relay in the Integrated Power Module?Also check for corrosion on all wiring connections.

OP
OP
G

greydodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
I have checked all connections but not the relay, is there somewhere I can look to find the location of the relay?
Thanks for the help.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's the fuse box under the hood. The exact location should be on the inside of the lid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

greydodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
Thanks I will look today for the relay,

And to Jason,
the AC worked fine until the compressor quit.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would get someone to put gauges on it and make sure it has a sufficient charge. Too little pressure will prevent the compressor clutch from engaging.

OP
OP
G

greydodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
Checked the fuse box found 2 fuses that have to do with AC both were good, did not see a relay, The system is charged, had that checked first thing, asking around seems finding good code reader and getting the codes would be the best place to start

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My bad. The ac clutch relay is integrated into the TIPM and cannot be removed and replaced. If the scan shows all good signals, you can either bypass the TIPM or replace it.

OP
OP
G

greydodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
going to try to read codes first, then will replace tipm if needed, just curious if I replace the tipm do I have to have anything done to it after installation? reading about flashing at the dealer or something like that, or is it plug and play I hope
Thanks

bob anderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Have a 06 2500 w/cummins, 330,000 miles, owned since new, been a great truck with the only repairs being age related, Just had the AC replaced (comp, cond, tubes, etc) worked for 1 day and quit. Had AC guy back out and he found that there is only 6V going to compressor which it needs at least 11 to kick in. the wires don't look that bad going to it. AC guy seems to think it could be the ICM, due to the age and miles on the truck I don't have a problem changing it, but if its something a little simpler that that would be great.
Any thought would be appreciated
Thanks
I have a 2006 3500 exact same problem just had it checked no power from fuss box to pump relay is intergrated said could replace with reman or find used from junkyard reman 1700 bucks cant afford i was wondering if i could bypass fuss box with a fussed hot wire to switch on dash .what are you thoughts thanks Bob

bob anderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I have a 2006 3500 exact same problem just had it checked no power from fuss box to pump relay is intergrated said could replace with reman or find used from junkyard reman 1700 bucks cant afford i was wondering if i could bypass fuss box with a fussed hot wire to switch on dash .what are you thoughts thanks Bob