07 1500 3.7 w 6 speed manual—horrific gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello—I‘m only getting 13-14 mpg in my 07 Ram 1500 w 3.7 V6 and 6 speed manual. I drive in Florida on flat roadways and baby the RPMs in the 2000 range. The only thing I can imagine is my changing the tranny fluid from ATF to oil based? Could this hurt my mileage to the tune of 5 mpg? I used a synchromesh oil recommended? I‘ve used tons of valve cleaner and have a new air filter?

thank you

dan

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello—I‘m only getting 13-14 mpg in my 07 Ram 1500 w 3.7 V6 and 6 speed manual. I drive in Florida on flat roadways and baby the RPMs in the 2000 range. The only thing I can imagine is my changing the tranny fluid from ATF to oil based? Could this hurt my mileage to the tune of 5 mpg? I used a synchromesh oil recommended? I‘ve used tons of valve cleaner and have a new air filter?

thank you

dan
The trans fluid cannot explain 5MPG. You need to be able to diagnose this problem. Start with a GOOD scanner with mode6 capabilities. Read the data, and if you aren't savvy to it, have it done by a competent driveability person.
Next, follow where the data takes you. This comes from an experienced eye and knowledge base of advanced engine performance dynamics. There is no short cut to this end. MANY guys have spent hundreds and thousands of dollars throwing expensive parts at problems based on what "Uncle Bubba" says or what one of the guys at the club might think, them basing on what their nephew, who changes oil for a living said.
If all data for driveability pans out, think in other terms, such as dragging brakes.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your truck is right about where it should be (this is from fueleconomy.gov):

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 10-31-41 Fuel Economy of 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup.png

EPA figures are always unobtainable by the rest of us. Real world figures are always less. Just keep in mind, you have a small displacement V6 (210-215 hp & only 235 lb-ft torque way up at 4000 rpm) trying to move a 4800+ lb (I assume it's a reg cab, can't remember if they put V6's in the later 3rd gen quad cabs or not) truck. It is has to work harder (and use more gas) to get the mass moving than a V8 would.

OP
OP
D

Dan983

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brother and I bought identical trucks new for $12,400 when Mercedes and Chrysler were almost bankrupt. He lives in E Tennessee, hilly, and I’m in the flattest of states. He gets consistently 20 MPG and I hang on 14. My 17 Ram Hemi 4x4 gets 20 highway. $4.50 gas brings this to top of mind,

thank you