07 5.9 cummins accelerator issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm posting this on behalf of my boss man. He has a 2007 Ram 5.9 cummins. The other day i removed the cat/resonator and welded in a straight pipe. He says ever since then every single time when switching from Drive to neutral, Drive to park, etc. the rpms shoot up into the 2,000s and then jump back down to normal. When in drive it feels like the truck wants to lunge forward with out touching the accelerator. He has to stand on the brake so it wont move... Also he said he started going up a steep hill and he said there was no acceleration. He had it to the floor and it was just idling. He said once he was back off the hill the accelerator started to work again. Anyone have an idea of what may be going on?

Thanks

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The throttle in our trucks is controlled by a Throttle Position Sensor, TPS... I'm no mechanic but if I were a betting man, I'd tend to think there's something going on with that.

I know some back pressure is needed for the truck to run properly, but it shouldn't be doing the things you've stated with bad back pressue.

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright i checked the TPS and swapped it with another trucks tps that was known working right. It was actually the whole pedal assembly that i swapped. The boss's truck did the same thing. I got to check out what was going on for myself. In park or Neutral the truck idles and revs up fine. But once you put it in Rev, Drive, 2nd, 1st the truck wants to take off and doesnt stop until you throw it back in neutral or park. If you arent on the break it will it will take off. Why would it want to take off when in gear? Why doesn't it rev up in park and neutral? I'm confused esspecially after swapping the TPS.

Last edited:

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Any smoke?

This is a long shot, but maybe you an injector stuck open?

Ckelly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Same problem plz help

I've got the same problems ,, did u figure out what it was if so plz help

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was the torque converter. Something to do with the lock up.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01