07 Ram 6.7 Diesel Has No Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyHarry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Hello all. I am new here and have a big problem on my 07 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel. I was on a trip back home (dragging a trailer with a big farm tractor) to West Texas from Houston and about 200 miles from home there was a big POP and engine faltered and then recovered.
Then i noticed i had a complete loss of power to accelerate and engine would respond slowly to pushing the accelerator down. It would run ok on flat ground but would not pull up hill very well, speed would drop down to 40 miles MPH. After the uphill, it would very slowly regain speed. Dark black smoke was pouring from exhaust and temp increased just above the midpoint. I then could smell something burning and just blew it off as the oilfields i was passing through.
I then realized that there was a loud exhaust noise under the hood. I stopped at a safe place and opened the hood to discover that the exhaust manifold had blown 1 or more gaskets. The engine exhaust was so hot it had set the oil soaked insulation on fire under the cowling. It was just smoldering and no flame. I put it out with water and my extinguisher and continued driving.
Once i got home i was able to inspect the engine area to see what had happened. I discovered that the connector to the MAF had become disengaged, which i assumed was the trouble maker. However, when i did a test drive i still had no power.
So in summary, the Ram 6.7L has no power on acceleration and blows black smoke and uses about twice as much fuel as normal.
So, does anybody have any idea where i can start to look for whatever is wrong?
Thanks, for any help.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello all. I am new here and have a big problem on my 07 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel. I was on a trip back home (dragging a trailer with a big farm tractor) to West Texas from Houston and about 200 miles from home there was a big POP and engine faltered and then recovered.
Then i noticed i had a complete loss of power to accelerate and engine would respond slowly to pushing the accelerator down. It would run ok on flat ground but would not pull up hill very well, speed would drop down to 40 miles MPH. After the uphill, it would very slowly regain speed. Dark black smoke was pouring from exhaust and temp increased just above the midpoint. I then could smell something burning and just blew it off as the oilfields i was passing through.
I then realized that there was a loud exhaust noise under the hood. I stopped at a safe place and opened the hood to discover that the exhaust manifold had blown 1 or more gaskets. The engine exhaust was so hot it had set the oil soaked insulation on fire under the cowling. It was just smoldering and no flame. I put it out with water and my extinguisher and continued driving.
Once i got home i was able to inspect the engine area to see what had happened. I discovered that the connector to the MAF had become disengaged, which i assumed was the trouble maker. However, when i did a test drive i still had no power.
So in summary, the Ram 6.7L has no power on acceleration and blows black smoke and uses about twice as much fuel as normal.
So, does anybody have any idea where i can start to look for whatever is wrong?
Thanks, for any help.
If the truck is all "stock" and not deleted I would inspect the DPF, the NAC and the DOC. My guess without seeing the truck and having a scan tool connected is that the turbo and after-treatment system is heavily sooted. With that being said my best guess is the soot load in the turbo has the vanes in the VGT stuck and the turbo drive pressure is too high. That's just a guess though. Time to do some diagnostics and some serious cleaning .

OP
OP
D

DirtyHarry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Yes, i should have provided more information. 2 years ago it stopped running and had a small exhaust leak near the turbo. Mechanic said it had a blown turbo and cat converter was plugged up. So i bought a rebuild turbo complete and removed all the exhaust system and replaced with a straight delete pipe. EGR is still on truck. Installed new turbo and pipes and ran soooo good until this last trip. I scanned it once i got home and found all the DPF and related codes normal when DF is removed. However, it did have these extra codes, 2281, 2080, 2084,000F, 0192 1484, and couple of others. I erased those codes and have driven it but theses codes never came back. So it tells me they were related to that lightening bolt thing?
I forgot to mention that when i was driving back and the POP sounded i did get that red lightening bolt on the dash. Pulled over and killed engine and restarted it and the bolt never came back.