1/2 ton to 3/4 ton axle swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ferryman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Howdy everyone. I’m new to the forum but I’m hoping to gather more information than I have so far. I own a 1988 D100 and my ultimate goal is to eventually do an engine swap. First things first I need to swap my axles and want to put D60’s on it. Please any recommendations and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help in advance.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
WELL I've done that one . Not for you 1988 but mine was about a 1976 I believe.
I only gave 25$ for this old pick-up . Just for scrap, but after I brought it home I put a battery on it & cranked it up . After a little playing it seemed to run find. SO I used it a little on the farm & THEN I PULLED the old bed off & scraped it built a cheap flat bed . SWAPPED FRONT BUMPERS WITH ANOTHER TRUCK . IT now was a straight pick-up that was cranking & running great . AC EVEN WORKED ON IT . i SWAPPED IN ANOTHER SEAT.
... & THEN I found a 3/4 pick-up bed trailer ..& It seemed to have something 4:11's gears not sure what Dodges were . I Wanted a pick-up for the farm ...so I measured them & I PULLED THE axle from the trailer & removed the pickup 1/2 rear axle ... swapped locations with them. I had a time finding one of those U-Joints that one side is for the 1/2 ton & other was for the 3/4 larger joint ... It cost about 35.00 of 40.00 but It fixed it .
& I had absolutely no brakes . But that was just a completely brake job & then I had better brakes than I'd every had on a Dodge. .& the 1/2 ton went under the little pick-up bed trailer . Which I sold for $250.00 & I was almost at even.
... & THAT 3/4 rear axle made that old pick-up really work fine on the farm. IT DROVE & RODE GREAT WITH THE 1/2 TON FRONT END .
... I EVEN later In it's life put a 440 & 727 from an old New Yorker.
...... & FOR MY Wheels I bought a pair of Chrome spokes for front in 15's & for the rear I found a set of wide maybe 10'' 16's chrome spokes & put on a set of wide mud & snow tires .. loved it & looked great . & I just carried 2 spares.
.........SO I hope that helps I realize my year models are a lot different than yours .