1/2 Ton Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
My neighbor purchased a 32' TT and asked if I could haul it 30 miles for him because all he has is a half ton PU and he's never hauled a trailer before. I can't do it because I'm busy that day, but it got me to thinking (ohoh) Can a 1/2T PU haul a 32' TT safely. He has trailer brakes on his rig and a HD suspension for the type of work he does. I don't know anymore about the trailer. He has the 5.7 Hemi. Just looking for thoughts because I would probably haul it the one time if I were him. But that's just me,

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What "can" be done and what "should" be done are often not the same. If he is inexperienced like it sounds he is, then he probably shouldn't be pulling a 32 ft TT with his half ton unless it's all slow rural roads with no traffic etc.

My recommendation is about 26 to 28 ft max, with a GVWR of no more than 8000 pounds for towing with any half ton unless they're one of those special built unicorns with a max tow and bench and a single cab etc.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Several years ago (back when I was a rookie at towing) I owned a 1/2 ton pickup, both the trailer dealer and my truck dealer said I would be fine towing a 24 foot toy hauler with my truck. That lasted a little less than two years. I was safe and the truck was able to tow the trailer OK, but the fuel mileage was obscene and the engine spent the majority of the time running over 4k rpm. Simply just not the right thing to do. As soon as I was able the 2006 2500 CTD came on the scene and made a world of difference. Your friend would probably be OK with a one time tow for 30 miles, however to be safe he should get an experienced person to give him advise and assist with the actual towing when it happens. For sure if there is any backing up involved.

Mike

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
our trailer is 28' and 6000#..my laramie tows it fine but I wouldnt want to tow a 32' er very far. I set 30' as the max for our truck and it would be able to handle another 1000# ok. as for towing a longer heavier trailer 30 miles, it could certainly be done. just go slower and dont try it on a windy day. borrow or rent a WDH and make sure the trailer is as empty as can be.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
My neighbor purchased a 32' TT and asked if I could haul it 30 miles for him because all he has is a half ton PU and he's never hauled a trailer before. I can't do it because I'm busy that day, but it got me to thinking (ohoh) Can a 1/2T PU haul a 32' TT safely. He has trailer brakes on his rig and a HD suspension for the type of work he does. I don't know anymore about the trailer. He has the 5.7 Hemi. Just looking for thoughts because I would probably haul it the one time if I were him. But that's just me,
Can be done but not safely for the most part. If there's any wind (cross wind, tail wind or head wind) it will be a white knuckle experience. Keep speeds around 60 mph. I pulled a TT same length with a 2008 F150 back in the day. Wasn't ideal but I didn't pull it far. Didn't take me long to realize I was beyond the limits of a 1/2 ton. TT that long pushes the truck around to easily. An excellent weight distribution hitch like Weigh Safe or ProPride will help a lot.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If the guy was experienced I’d say he could do 30 miles at a slow pace. I sure wouldn’t do much more though. If he’s truly inexperienced he needs to hire someone with a proper truck to tow it.

OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I appreciate everyone's response here. I was sure i would get flamed for admitting that I would haul it with his truck if push came to shove. Thanks to everyone for being sensible and cutting me slack. Long story short, he got the trailer home by hiring someone that does this on a regular basis which is probably the best for him. Unfortunately, the hauler wouldn't place it for him so another guy in the park hooked on to it and put it in the site. By the time I got home all the excitement was over. But it was a happy ending.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Happy and safe ending. But the answer is always look at the door sticker, all the data needed to know towing and payload capacities is right there. No need for the ancedotal stories of the rest of us when the math is easy.

OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Happy and safe ending. But the answer is always look at the door sticker, all the data needed to know towing and payload capacities is right there. No need for the ancedotal stories of the rest of us when the math is easy.
The math didn't add up so I was looking for the anecdotal real life stories to confirm that I'm not the only one that would give it a go.

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know this has been resolved, but it depends on the half ton... :D I had the unicorn 2006 5.7 1/2 ton mega cab (that was really a derated 3/4 ton) and pulled our 35 footer with absolutely no issues whatsoever. So, while technically a 1/2 ton, this was very much a different animal. I was way within tow capacity and payload and having the long wheelbase made a huge difference (and had a good WDH). The truck did awesome. Never experienced sway or any troubles.

Attachments

• antigua-dodge-02.jpg
    antigua-dodge-02.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 14

mrsocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I routinely tow 6500lb tandem axle boat trailer with my 1500 crew cab Lonestar 5.7l loaded with 2 adults, 2 dogs, and ice chests, BBQ etc at 80mph and rock solid!
The only addition is an anti sway/ load levelling hitch (under $400 at i-trailer). Milage falls to 11mpg.

OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Several of you guys have mentioned a WDH. I know for fact this neighbor doesn't have any hitch accessories except for the brake controller that might be after market but not installed by him. I'm not sure he even knew he had that until it was pointed out to him. He only asked me to haul it for him because I've done that favor with my 1 ton for a couple others in the hood. They were both 5vers though. Thanks for the responses. I was going to pass a couple of them on to him, but that might be too much like poking.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Your truck also needs a trailer brake controller and you need to know how to set it properly. For me I have no option but to go on a freeway to get anywhere and need enough power to safely merge with traffic.

There are plenty of professional services for towing a trailer to a new location. That is how trailers get from the factory to the dealers' lots.

Ural_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I towed a TT just shy of 33 feet and 2000 pounds below max towing capacity of my 2019 crew cab with the 5.7L just fine for two years before selling it to get a boat. Added Timbren bump stops to keep the truck level. I also had a weight distribution hitch and trailer brake controller. We towed it comfortably 4 hours one way numerous times to the north Georgia mountains. The trailer had trailer brakes but we always kept plenty of room for stopping. I had a Ram 2500 in the past and sure, I would have preferred to have it for towing this trailer, but wasn't in the new truck market.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
And the first semi truck hauling a tank, either milk or fuel, passes by your lightweight truck pulling a Borderline TT, will make you turn pale white, your fingers will hurt a bit, & you may do a wet check on your shorts,
That TT will swerve a lot.
But i would probably have done it

1666763456562.png
This type truck & trailer, pushes you away, then sucks your vehicle in & suddenly pushes you away again
1666763550637.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
And the first semi truck hauling a tank, either milk or fuel, passes by your lightweight truck pulling a Borderline TT, will make you turn pale white, your fingers will hurt a bit, & you may do a wet check on your shorts,
That TT will swerve a lot.
But i would probably have done it

View attachment 505322
This type truck & trailer, pushes you away, then sucks your vehicle in & suddenly pushes you away again
View attachment 505323
He was only looking at a 2 lane county road. Even I would have had to think twice about running it down the freeway with nothing to help stabilize it and I'm an idiot, just ask my wife.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Several of you guys have mentioned a WDH. I know for fact this neighbor doesn't have any hitch accessories except for the brake controller that might be after market but not installed by him. I'm not sure he even knew he had that until it was pointed out to him. He only asked me to haul it for him because I've done that favor with my 1 ton for a couple others in the hood. They were both 5vers though. Thanks for the responses. I was going to pass a couple of them on to him, but that might be too much like poking.
My recommendation for campers over 30 foot hands down is Weigh Safe weight distribution hitch. It might not be as good as the industry leading Hensley or ProPride but those 2 are in the 4 grand range. Weigh Safe isn't far behind the top 2 I mentioned in performance but only cost around a grand. Yeah that's still quite a bit more than others but in my opinion there's not another wd hitch comes close to Weigh Safe excluding the top 2 I mentioned. The Equalizer 4 point is a solid alternative to the Weigh Safe for campers under 30 foot.