106 mph max 2014 dodge ram hemi sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dell1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was trying to get my car to the max but it will only go to 106 mph is that because of the speed limiter or what????

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yes you ran into the speed limiter, it's to keep the driveshaft from possibly exploding. Someone on this forum blew his up after having the limiter tuned out and attempting to race someone onto the freeway. Factory driveshafts are not balanced good enough for those kinds of rpms

OP
OP
D

dell1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes you ran into the speed limiter, it's to keep the driveshaft from possibly exploding. Someone on this forum blew his up after having the limiter tuned out and attempting to race someone onto the freeway. Factory driveshafts are not balanced good enough for those kinds of rpms
O wow so I'm unlocking my limiter should I consider and different drive shaft also???

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@dell1991 if you plan on racing with your truck. Look up some of the guys on this forum that drag race their trucks, they'll better be able to tell you which truck configurations drive shafts are more susceptible to failure.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
O wow so I'm unlocking my limiter should I consider and different drive shaft also???

The only trucks with driveshaft issues are the regular cab 2 wheel drive shortboxes with the 8 speed transmission,it's really bad with the trucks with 3.92 gears,the trucks with 3.21 aren't quite as bad.If you don't have regular cab 8 speed shortbox truck you're good to go.
Actually the limiter is set for the tires more so then the driveshaft. The trucks come with cheap tires and the tires aren't rated for much more speed then the limiter is set at. I forget what the SRA's are rated for,i'd have to go look,but I think they're speed rating is only around 110 mph. I took them off my truck the second day it came home,and sold them,so I don't even have one to go get the rating off,but if you're interested just google Good Year SRA's speed ratingand you'll find it

OP
OP
D

dell1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@dell1991 if you plan on racing with your truck. Look up some of the guys on this forum that drag race their trucks, they'll better be able to tell you which truck configurations drive shafts are more susceptible to failure.
No I dont plan on racing I just want a lil more speed n power n the most performance out of my mostly stock ram...do u think I'll be good?

OP
OP
D

dell1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The only trucks with driveshaft issues are the regular cab 2 wheel drive shortboxes with the 8 speed transmission,it's really bad with the trucks with 3.92 gears,the trucks with 3.21 aren't quite as bad.If you don't have regular cab 8 speed shortbox truck you're good to go.
Actually the limiter is set for the tires more so then the driveshaft. The trucks come with cheap tires and the tires aren't rated for much more speed then the limiter is set at. I forget what the SRA's are rated for,i'd have to go look,but I think they're speed rating is only around 110 mph. I took them off my truck the second day it came home,and sold them,so I don't even have one to go get the rating off,but if you're interested just google Good Year SRA's speed ratingand you'll find it
I have the 4wd full cab full bed crew...and I also have different tires and wheels on my truck...thank man ur very informative by the way...so what do u think now?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have the 4wd full cab full bed crew...and I also have different tires and wheels on my truck...thank man ur very informative by the way...so what do u think now?

You're good to go then. Opened up with a tune the truck will blow your mind how fast it'll go for just 345 cubes,even with nothing more for mods then just a tune it'll go 130 or better. My little 4X4 is a full bolt-on /cammed truck and I chickened out at 153,but I've seen the high side of 140 more then a couple times.I hang around with the local Challenger / Charger group,and those guys are always giving me static about a truck at their meets,so there's been a few times,i've had to show them the truck will easily keep up,and on the bottle it'll beat a lot of them to 120 mph,lol

MCMLXIX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI R/T
The only trucks with driveshaft issues are the regular cab 2 wheel drive shortboxes with the 8 speed transmission,it's really bad with the trucks with 3.92 gears.....

Great.. this is my truck exactly... lol Not that I'll be tuning out the limiter any time soon...

Txdodge68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck topped out at 107 this morning, it wouldn’t have been so bad if it hadn’t been against a camaro with a euro muffler, can’t wait till I get my challenger.