1100 mile trip in 2020 Hemi Warlock, mpg’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VR Nicastro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I had to take a trip to Tennessee from PA to pick up a new takeoff bed for my 16 Ram Ecodiesel. I forgot my trailer was attached to my truck and tried to back in my driveway, I jackknifed it and ruined the right rear quarter panel. It was cheaper to get a new bed than have it repaired ‍♂️.
I was driving my daughters 2020 Ram Warlock with 3.55 gears and a Hemi towing the same trailer. On the way down I was getting 17-18 MPG speeds varying from 60-75 using cruise control. Burst to 80 MPH.
On my way home with the new bed on the trailer I was getting 14.2 - 14.5 MPG same speed conditions.
The Hemi is definitely more “peppy” than my Ecodiesel but the fuel mileage is horrible. People that claim they get 23-25 mpg out of a Hemi are BS-ing you.
My Ecodiesel with approximately 1200-1400 lb constant load with a construction cap on the back, lately I’ve been averaging 18.5 - 20.3 MPG with 3.92 gears around town. That also depends on how many regen cycles it goes through. That hurts MPG’s.
I will say if you drive an unloaded truck most of the time then the Hemi is the way to go. If you’re constantly carrying a load or pulling something then the Ecodiesel is the ticket! I know it’s hard to justify spending the extra 5k for the Eco but… it will pay for itself in the long run.

Attachments

• E6A50C23-CECA-4A49-A1B5-D1DC568242C3.jpeg
    E6A50C23-CECA-4A49-A1B5-D1DC568242C3.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 17

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
People that claim they get 23-25 mpg out of a Hemi are BS-ing you.
Eh, if they have stock tires, 2wd, 8 speed, long commute, cruise control... I'd believe it.

When I deliberately try to hypermile on an out-of-town trip I can pull off a trip average 19.5 or better mpg in my 6-speed, 4wd on 285's (highway-oriented all terrain) but realistically my average tank is more like 14-16mpg.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I had to take a trip to Tennessee from PA to pick up a new takeoff bed for my 16 Ram Ecodiesel. I forgot my trailer was attached to my truck and tried to back in my driveway, I jackknifed it and ruined the right rear quarter panel. It was cheaper to get a new bed than have it repaired ‍♂️.
I was driving my daughters 2020 Ram Warlock with 3.55 gears and a Hemi towing the same trailer. On the way down I was getting 17-18 MPG speeds varying from 60-75 using cruise control. Burst to 80 MPH.
On my way home with the new bed on the trailer I was getting 14.2 - 14.5 MPG same speed conditions.
The Hemi is definitely more “peppy” than my Ecodiesel but the fuel mileage is horrible. People that claim they get 23-25 mpg out of a Hemi are BS-ing you.
My Ecodiesel with approximately 1200-1400 lb constant load with a construction cap on the back, lately I’ve been averaging 18.5 - 20.3 MPG with 3.92 gears around town. That also depends on how many regen cycles it goes through. That hurts MPG’s.
I will say if you drive an unloaded truck most of the time then the Hemi is the way to go. If you’re constantly carrying a load or pulling something then the Ecodiesel is the ticket! I know it’s hard to justify spending the extra 5k for the Eco but… it will pay for itself in the long run.
I agree with you. I have a 2012 RCSB and rarely haul anything of any amount in it so I can't give loaded MPG. I have a 4.10 gear and 345 Hemi. Driving it mostly on the highway at 75 MPH and back roads which I try to do the most so I can keep it more around 60 MPH I get 17.5 to 18 MPG. That's with stopping numerous times sight seeing too. I have no doubt I could get 20 MPG if I could go 60 MPH all day with no stops or anything but where is that even possible? I figure mine by doing the math, not by my EVIC. If me saying it got more than it does makes it happen than I would say it. It gets what it gets, saying it gets more doesn't help my wallet in the least. That's not bad at all to me for what I have, if I want it to really go it will at the cost of less MPG's!

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Are these real mpg or evic readings? If you really want to know the mileage you need to hand calculate. It may bring a tear to your eye.
Mine is doing the math by hand, I don't trust the EVIC even tho it's not real far off. The mileage I get is me trying hard to get my best, now if I run it like I want and don't care about MPG it can bring a tear to my eyes! I can drive it to the drag strip with the EVIC saying 18 MPG and drop that to 13.5 MPG just running about 10 times which is only 2 1/2 miles 1/4 mile at a time. Well I guess more like 10 miles by the time you go to end of track and coming back. That still doesn't sound bad to me! lol

Last edited:

slickracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently did two 470 mile round trips in my 2018 Hemi 1500 with 3.21 gears. Trip #1 was 22 mpg and trip #2 yielded 21.5, both filled at the same pump and calculated by hand. The EVIC said 23.8 and 23.5 respectively.

Mark Christopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have a 2500 2wd with the 6.7. I regularly get 18-19 mpg with mixed driving between city and highway. When new it was a bit higher. That's loaded or unloaded.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I smile when I read some of the Hemi fuel mileage claims. I purchased my RAM to use as a roomy comfortable long distance traveling machine. Thus, I ordered it to fit the purpose.
2WD with 3.21 LSD, V-6, and 32 gallon fuel capacity. Traveling all day at highway speeds I can see 25 + MPG on a good day and often 24 MPG depending on conditions. Hand calculated. Lie-o-meter is universally around 1MPG optimistic.I see some 4X4 Hemi owners posting MPG that is approaching the mid 20's. If that is true I need to have my RAM looked at as surely there must be something wrong causing my poor fuel mileage.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The best I have seen with mine is 17. I average 12-14. I believe its all about the 8 speed transmission. Plus I like to have fun in mind so I spin the tires often.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The best I have seen with mine is 17. I average 12-14. I believe its all about the 8 speed transmission. Plus I like to have fun in mind so I spin the tires often.
19.5 is the best I've ever done but that's driving like my grandma and 60 MPH the majority of the time on the highway. Mix city and highway around 17 MPG average. I hand calculate every fill up.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm pretty sure the Eco Diesel is a $5000 option. That $5000 will earn 10% most years, so there's an additional $500 I have to spend on the fuel difference. So the diesel is getting 5 more mpg than my Hemi, cool.

My dealership will pick up my truck, change the oil, rotate tires, and bring it back for less than $32. I'll dig up a receipt if anyone doubts me. It cost me about $235 to have my 545RFE transmission serviced. Again, the dealership picked it up, and brought it back. All I do is call them with my debit card number afterwards.

I don't know what a dealership charges for an Eco Diesel oil change. I don't know what they would charge for an 8 speed transmission service, but I've heard it's a lot.

With 4.10 gears and the old 545RFE, my truck pulled my 7000 pound trailer up and down the 40 hilly miles to my property in Perry county, like a champ. Would the diesel 8 speed do it better?

I think you buy the diesel for the engine characteristics. And maybe they last longer. But for the vast majority of us, the Hemi is a lot cheaper. Fuel costs are a very small percentage of the cost of operating a vehicle.

And yes, especially with 4.10s, it's got more pep.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I think the guys with hemis that get over 20mpg are driving like grannies,babying them around and mostly driving on 55mph highways

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think the guys with hemis that get over 20mpg are driving like grannies,babying them around and mostly driving on 55mph highways
For me you're exactly right, that's the only way I can get close to that MPG. So that's why I'm more in the 18 MPG average highway mostly driving. If I go over 60 MPH my mileage goes down. I hate interstate driving anyway, everybody is in a hurry. I travel back roads when possible, don't care if it takes a little bit longer.

Last edited: