114000 miles 2018 6 cyl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just turned 114000 miles on my 18 ram no problems. Just maintance. Replaced tires and brakes at 60000. No maintance done on trans. Replaced brake fluid. Mostly highway miles.
Holy hell that is crazy for a 18 lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

papanogo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl. gas
116000 today. Called my dealer today and he said don't change it till 150,000 miles. Who the hell do ya believe right.

OP
OP
P

papanogo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl. gas
Over 116,000 miles today. Called my dealer today. He said don't touch it until 150,000
$700.00. who the hell do ya believe right???? I'm so confused.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Over 116,000 miles today. Called my dealer today. He said don't touch it until 150,000
$700.00. who the hell do ya believe right???? I'm so confused.
dunno what your confused about, are you seriously trying to shove the $$$ down their throat?

he is literally recommending what i stated, but if you want to keep listening to others on this forum that recommend changing it every 30k go on ahead

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s the best thing about the lifetime warranty. Everyone is trying to figure out when to change fluids that the manual says don’t need to be changed. If my transmission craps out, I will have followed Ram’s recommendations by not touching the damn thing and they’ll be responsible for it. If they wanted to get nasty, by changing the transmission fluid myself, at a dealership, or through another mechanic, they could rightfully void my warranty. Screw that! I’ll run it until it won’t run anymore and hope the truck’s value still outweighs the cost of a new tranny when/if that happens.

OP
OP
P

papanogo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl. gas
I still have a while before his recommendation was. I'll just keep watching this thread. Definitely not going the 30,000 way. I've had 4 diesel pickups towing campers and boats to all 48 Canada Alaska and Newfoundland. The last one had over 800,000 miles on it. Quite a few drivers have over 1 million miles on them and nobody drained at 30,000. Of course none of them were 8 speed

Aaron2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That’s the best thing about the lifetime warranty. Everyone is trying to figure out when to change fluids that the manual says don’t need to be changed. If my transmission craps out, I will have followed Ram’s recommendations by not touching the damn thing and they’ll be responsible for it. If they wanted to get nasty, by changing the transmission fluid myself, at a dealership, or through another mechanic, they could rightfully void my warranty. Screw that! I’ll run it until it won’t run anymore and hope the truck’s value still outweighs the cost of a new tranny when/if that happens.

Totally agree. The manual is pretty clear: don't change it.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA calls it lifetime because they don't care what happens to it once your warranty is over.

They would prefer you never change it and your trans takes a dump so you either have to replace it or buy a new truck.

The fact that ZF recommends 100,000 km changes should tell you everything you need to know since they designed it.

Go ahead and follow the FCA owners manual though because we all know they have your best interest at heart.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Another friendly discussion on 8hp70 / 8hp45 "servicing"! :chair:

Like said, given it's only 2yrs old, with a crap ton of highway miles on it with minimal light towing, the ATF is probably fine. Would I still want to swap pans and top back up with fresh ATF? I sure would. If you didn't want to tackle it yourself, I'd have a trusted transmission or general repair shop do it over a dealership once out of warranty like you are.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is specific to the 6 speed. Idk what page it’s on, but somewhere in that section it also says the 8 speed is a lifetime fluid fill and does not call for fluid and filter service unless the transmission is opened up and drained for some reason. I understand being skeptical of lifetime fluid specs, just be prepared the 8 speed isn’t a typical fluid and filter change. The pan and filter are integrated so the whole pan has to be replaced, and the fluid fill procedures are very specific.

That's a fact on the 8 speed, friend of mine is a mechanic at a Dodge dealership and he also said that the fluid is somewhere around eighty dollars per quart . Guess that's why they say lifetime on the eight speed.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FCA calls it lifetime because they don't care what happens to it once your warranty is over.

They would prefer you never change it and your trans takes a dump so you either have to replace it or buy a new truck.

The fact that ZF recommends 100,000 km changes should tell you everything you need to know since they designed it.

Go ahead and follow the FCA owners manual though because we all know they have your best interest at heart.
Maybe things are different in Canada, but my lifetime warranty I received with my new 2019 Ram Laramie actually States unlimited mileage and is in force for as long as I owne the truck. Who knows I may keep the truck for the next 25 years of longer. So to me that means no matter how many miles I put on or how many years I have the truck it is covered.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just turned 114000 miles on my 18 ram no problems. Just maintance. Replaced tires and brakes at 60000. No maintance done on trans. Replaced brake fluid. Mostly highway miles.

Wow, 114,000 miles on barely a 2 year old truck....nice job!!

OP
OP
P

papanogo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl. gas
NOW GETTING READY TO TURN 160000 AND I'VE BEEN OUT OF WORK FOR 3 MONTHS. CHANGE OIL AT 10% ON GAUGE. GONNA NEED TIRES SOON. MICH. 92000 MILES ON THEM. ROTATE EVERY OIL CHANGE. HAD REAR FLUID CHANGED SAME TIME AS TRANS. ONLY PROBLEM SO FAR IS I HAD TO CHANGE THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's a fact on the 8 speed, friend of mine is a mechanic at a Dodge dealership and he also said that the fluid is somewhere around eighty dollars per quart . Guess that's why they say lifetime on the eight speed.

That is insane. Top of the line ATF's don't cost anywhere close to that. MaxLife is $17.97 per GALLON at WalMart. Even Amzoil ATF is just $10-$17 per quart.

I love the RAM brand and I love my truck, but this is total BS.

Just curious, what would a 8sp. replacement trans costs?

ASouth86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn that is a lot of miles in a short time. I have around 130k on my 2013, and haven't had any problems besides having to replace the thermostat. Will be replacing my coil packs with MDS ones, Spark plugs, and PCV valve when I get back from deployment and having the brake fluid and cooling fluid flushed. I am also debating changing the trans pan/oil, not sure how to tell if I got the regular warranty on my truck or the lifetime. Is there a way I can look this up? I bought my truck brand new in 2013.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
NOW GETTING READY TO TURN 160000 AND I'VE BEEN OUT OF WORK FOR 3 MONTHS. CHANGE OIL AT 10% ON GAUGE. GONNA NEED TIRES SOON. MICH. 92000 MILES ON THEM. ROTATE EVERY OIL CHANGE. HAD REAR FLUID CHANGED SAME TIME AS TRANS. ONLY PROBLEM SO FAR IS I HAD TO CHANGE THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR.
Can you tell us what your transmission Temps. have run over the last 160,000 miles?

sanravel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
7 quarts of Mopar 8 spd ATF is $123 total on Amazon. I changed my fluid a couple of months ago. It was simple to do and I used a new pan that has a replaceable filter.