12” Display, like it, hate it, waste of money or best thing ever?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

493mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10
I am concerned with all these displays in that they promote distracted driving. It's like having a really big cell phone to watch while moving down the road. In my older vehicles I know without looking where the controls are, these worry me.
Mike

Bill T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my 12 inch display. Makes it easy to see the maps and the cameras. Highly recommend it!!

Eddmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Supercharged
When I was at the point of making the decisiion 3 months ago, between RAM 1500 and F150, I was leaning heavily toward the RAM. I heard (many first hand, when visiting dealerships) and read about comon issues not only with the 12" display, but rear cab window leaks and frame cracks, fender rust, HEMI valve cam issues, and overall reliability, I returned the Laramie that I was considering, and bought a Lariat.

My workplace has 5 F-150's and 1 RAM. Out of those 6 trucks, 5 of them have spent major time at the dealer having repairs, wanna guess which 5 ? LOL

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont really see anyone talking about it. What are your thought?

This comment is NOT intended to throw poo at the 12 inch Uconnect, but just to give you my reasoning for not getting it when I ordered my truck.

I found at night, especially, all that light coming from the screen was very distracting. I think Ram did a pretty good job of blending the 12 inch into the design of the instrument panel considering it's huge size, but my eye still sees it as awkward.

My 8.4 cosmetically looks native and has all the features I would want, or for that matter, would ever need. I can't comment on functionality because I don't own one.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031568 miles.

jayc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a question about the 12" display. Is it possible to turn the brightness down after dark? I have a friend who says it cannot.

Engine12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my 12” . Have just under 5000 miles and zero problems with. I would definitely do it again.

Engine12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am concerned with all these displays in that they promote distracted driving. It's like having a really big cell phone to watch while moving down the road. In my older vehicles I know without looking where the controls are, these worry me.
Mike
You can pretty much do everything by voice command if you want. Change radio channels, adjust a/c, navigation, etc all by voice.

Dannyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 limited with 12’’ screen. The most sought after option I wanted. It’s hasn’t let me down, clear, crisp easy to read, not too bright at night. I have enjoyed that option for over two years now. Will never go any other way. Best Ram yet!

Kr0ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a question about the 12" display. Is it possible to turn the brightness down after dark? I have a friend who says it cannot.

Yes, you can adjust it to auto-dim or you can manually control the brightness of the screen from within settings. I think the interior lighting knob adjusts the 12" screen too...at least I know it can toggle max brightness.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I “like” my 12 inch display but there are issues. First one I had was the display turned all white. I could see the menus underneath the white but it was all white. Reset itself after a trip to the supermarket. Second issue is that occasional when I run errands after a short stop the CarPlay won’t work. It’s like I go somewhere get out of the truck for a minute or two then start it back up and no CarPlay. Stopping and turning off ignition and restarting doesn’t help. It will reset itself after a time but it’s just weird. Did the update a couple of weeks ago and it hasn’t happened as much but does still happen. And one other issue I had is where my satellite radio just went missing from the menu of available media options. Again it reset itself after a short time. Everything is working ok as of this writing.

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just think what people will say with the new 15" display Ford is supposedly coming out with on the new F150s....

OP
OP
N

Njt07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 etorque
Thanks for all the replies! I hope that when i am actually in the market Next year that hopefully these issues are resolved...

for those that have 8.4” i assume it still has carplay and everything else correct?

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Thanks for all the replies! I hope that when i am actually in the market Next year that hopefully these issues are resolved...

for those that have 8.4” i assume it still has carplay and everything else correct?
I have the 8.4” and yes, it does have CarPlay. I don’t know what the differences are, but I would think the 12” would have more features than the 8.4”.

My only experience with the 12”: the first truck we (my wife & I) test drove had the 12” screen. Sales rep was demonstrating its features, he tapped the icon to switch it to the rear camera view. Screen blacked out. Never came back to life while we drove the truck. Never looked at another with the 12” screen. #firstimpressions.

OP
OP
N

Njt07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 etorque
I have the 8.4” and yes, it does have CarPlay. I don’t know what the differences are, but I would think the 12” would have more features than the 8.4”.

My only experience with the 12”: the first truck we (my wife & I) test drove had the 12” screen. Sales rep was demonstrating its features, he tapped the icon to switch it to the rear camera view. Screen blacked out. Never came back to life while we drove the truck. Never looked at another with the 12” screen. #firstimpressions.
My 2012 JGC still does that every now and then

dc73pdsgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L e-torque
thanks right now its working fine but if issues reoccur I will be in touch

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mike
I agree with this. I find the 8.4 distracting if I am doing anything more than changing the radio station. For example, having to change the heating system and looking at the screen versus just pushing a button where I want the heat to go. At least I have a button for the defroster.

Sometimes I would turn off the display but then I see all the fingerprints.

Reactions: BWL

AthensMarine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7–Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine
Mike

Really not an issue [emoji2369]

smoke8r

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 sport crew cab blackout package
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s a personal preference. Some love the shifter knob, some don’t. I like my 12 in screen and typically run with it split. Climate on the bottom and radio/media on the top. Like everything else new and different it takes a bit getting used to it, (can’t tell you how many times I tried to column shift when I first got my truck) but once your used to it, you have a muscle memory and making changes is easy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334