12” Screen Reports: anyone have one that works without issues?

How has your 12” Screen been?

• I’ve had no problems or issues with it.

Votes: 35 51.5%
  • There have been some issues that are fixed/resolved, and it works fine now.

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • There have been minor issues, not all resolved, but I tolerate them. I’d buy it again.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • There have been major issues, unresolved, and I wouldn’t buy it again.

Votes: 13 19.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This late in production - you won't have any issues. Mine has been running fine for a while now.

limited delmo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had very minor issues. Screen would black out if I put it into reverse before it loaded and my heated and cooled seats icons wouldn't work sometimes. Since the last update it's worked perfect though.

Deshantai

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
My screen used to mess up, randomly turn off or not turn on after I start the truck. What I do know is for this to be a new generation truck with new technology unfortunately we are the lab rats for this rollout. I work for FCA not at the Ram facility but I’m sure it’s the same at all production plants, when it’s a deadline for these vehicles release date sometimes things get pushed through. Of course FCA wouldn’t approve of this it’s done on a lower level (production workers, team leads and superiors) by the time upper management is aware the vehicle is gone.

Aajakt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
Mine goes totally black sometimes when back up. Only had it a week. Same issue when I had the 2015

ndnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has been fine so far. Only issue is that the time disappears from to top of the screen sometimes. No rhyme or reason. Still shows the temp outside always.

oceanmaster66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 Laramie with 12" screen that I picked up December 12, 2018. Everything worked great until yesterday when I got in the truck and all 12 of my presets were blank. I reset them all yesterday and today they are all gone again. Now every time I turn the truck off they clear out. The one thing I did do differently was that I streamed SiriusXM on my computer on Friday. When I logged in to my Sirius account I saw all of my preset presented on my computer.

Anyone know if there are known issues with either a software update in the last couple of days clearing presets or an issue streaming online messing them up?

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
I have a 2019 Laramie with 12" screen that I picked up December 12, 2018. Everything worked great until yesterday when I got in the truck and all 12 of my presets were blank. I reset them all yesterday and today they are all gone again. Now every time I turn the truck off they clear out. The one thing I did do differently was that I streamed SiriusXM on my computer on Friday. When I logged in to my Sirius account I saw all of my preset presented on my computer.

Anyone know if there are known issues with either a software update in the last couple of days clearing presets or an issue streaming online messing them up?

Did you activate the UConnect Assist and SOS? I can’t say for sure that what fixed mine but I had it for a few weeks and XM Stations kept resetting. Once I activated the Assist and SOS functionality they stayed put. Not sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oceanmaster66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did that a few weeks ago. Like I mentioned, all my presets worked properly for 6 weeks then out of nowhere they keep clearing every time I shut the truck off.

DwnDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it seems people are having issues with these, as expected. I'm super on the fence about it, but when I get into a limited trim I can't NOT have the 12" screen. For the $85k this truck is "worth" according to FCA I want to make sure this screen that controls everything actaully works properly in HOT (+35C) and VERY COLD (-40C) weather. This screen issue is one of the main reasons I can't pull the trigger.. My 16MY has worked perfectly (as all my prev rams have) ... And all the tech stuff and E-Torq stuff keeps me away from doing this yet... But I really ... Really... want to.. Lol

darynm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DwnDak, I completely understand where you are coming from. I was so reluctant purchasing this truck. I have had a few quirky issues with the truck including the 12" Uconnect screen. Some updates have solved some of my issues and then made others I didn't have before. I had no problems with Navigation using voice prompts, but now I do. I can manually put it in without any issues and that gets old when the voice activation worked perfectly before the last update. I do also have the problem where stations presets get lost. Just odd. I keep the faith that sooner or later these problems will get sorted out. I did take my truck in to the dealer to get an update for the amp that did get the 19 speakers really loud now. I could max it out before without being overly impressed and now it hurts my ears to try to do that and sounds amazing!

I will say this as aggravating as some of the issues are. I would not have delayed purchasing this truck even though I could have. My Ford also had strange issues. It's just so much tech. We have a computer system that runs the media, navigation and climate control etc. Bound to be bugs. The good thing is, they are working on it with updates. I have a lifetime warranty and went with it knowing the risks. Life is short. Enjoy the truck quirks and all if you get it. She is still an awesome Vehicle!

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque Hemi

I bought my 2019 Ram Laramie Black with 12' Uconnect in October of last year. The owner had driven it for 1,800 miles, and I have put alittle more than 2k miles on it now, so it's at about 4,000 miles. Just this week, it started forgetting my XM presets. I have no idea why.

Now I'm wondering if there are any TSBs for it. Anyone know?

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque Hemi
The FM stations remain, but every time I get in the truck now the XM satellite stations are re-set, while the station it was on at the time I last shut it off is still there. The image below is an example of this.
Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 2.29.58 PM.png

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im looking at getting a 2019 Ram with most of the bells and whistles, including the 12” screen. But reading several threads in these forums about poorly behaved and malfunctioning 12” screens, particularly in hot climates, has me scared.

Now it’s very plausible that we’re only hearing from a small minority of problem cases, and that the fast majority of trucks built with the big screen are working great.

So all of y’all with the 12” screen that works flawlessly, chime in now and sing its praises! Thanks!

Looks like a good poll topic!

I only have 303 kilometers (so 190 miles) but both the cluster and 12" center stack went black.
Hit a pot hole in the road and they illuminated again.
So ..... Grounding issue, bad connection ???
Film at 11 as I put about 3000 kilos on next week.

Funroadahead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got 1600 miles so far and no real issues ov my Limited.
We got it a little tangled up by trying to swap phones while one of them was still starting Android Auto. We tried to delete both phones and nothing seemed to happen, kept trying different stuff and finally locked up the whole thing. Resigned myself to a trip to the dealer.
Came out the next morning, and it was fine. Both phones removed, and everything reset.

It seems like the ones with all the options work better than the lower optioned ones. Playing around with alfaobd on my wife's 300 we found that changing options sometimes had unexpected effects.
My guess is that the software is validated with all options enabled, then disabling an option sometimes uncovers a bug.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I only have 303 kilometers (so 190 miles) but both the cluster and 12" center stack went black.
Hit a pot hole in the road and they illuminated again.
So ..... Grounding issue, bad connection ???
Film at 11 as I put about 3000 kilos on next week.

UPDATE February 16/19
@ 2300 miles
Since the 'pot hole' incident I have had no issues.
But ....

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque Hemi
Took my truck to the dealer Monday. They fixed one of two recalls, the one involving the DT Ground Cable was fixed. The other involves the DT Adjustable Break Pedal could not be fixed yet, they don't have the parts. While I was there, I asked them again to find a fix for the stereo, and they have nothing. So I remain stuck with this situation. Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 2.29.58 PM-2.png

Levi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just took mine to the dealer because after the free trial offer expired on my 12" screen, the siriusxm radio would not work even after I bought the $99.00 subscription from siriusxm. The engineers at FCA said this premium radio requires a premium subscription costing much more. Has anyone else run into this?
Rick

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just going to say at the cost of these stereos it would fricking drive me nuts that they have so many issues. And dealers aren't in a position it sounds like to address them quickly. As a premium product at a premium price, a buyer of the upgraded screen should be treated like a VIP. How many stereos have been put in vehicles over the years (including updated and deluxe versions of them) that have never had issues? had envy for everyone with 8.4" plus screens. Now I'm happy with my little 5".

n-humble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I was there, I asked them again to find a fix for the stereo, and they have nothing. So I remain stuck with this situation.

I'm going to take a SWAG and say the fob you are using is not linked to the correct "preferences", so that every time you unlock and enter the truck with the fob on you, it is resetting the presets or radio user profile.