12” Screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lawrence P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 12” screen. I had the dealer customize it with lots of upgrades. One of the things I did was had cooled leather seats added (it came with heated seats). I was told that they couldn’t add the cooled seats to my screen and as a matter of fact they had to remove my heated seats from the screen and move them to manual buttons. Is there a way to move those back to the screen? Also I had a front camera added and the dealer was able to add that to my screen as a new widget but it’s called Aux2. It appears there is no way to change the name of the widget. Does anyone know how to change widget name?

OP
OP
L

Lawrence P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn late last year. The dealer was able to customize the truck for me - 3.5” lift, 35” tires, leather seats, black out badges, etc. After I got the truck home and started reading the owners manual I realized there were multiple features that are available that I didn’t know I could get - passenger side electric seat (came as manual), passive entry, surround camera, remote start defrost activation / comfort system activation, rain sensing windshield wipers. The dealer told me they couldn’t add those features. I called Ram and they said those items couldn’t be added after the fact. I told them I was willing to pay them more money to add features but was told it wasn’t possible. Has anyone else been able to add additional features to their truck? Also I’ve found that I can’t add more items to my 12” screen - for example the dealer added a pedal commander but I can’t control it from my screen, the dealer added cooled seats but can’t add that feature to my screen - they added a manual switch and removed my factory heated seats controls from the screen and added a manual switch for that control. Has anyone had any luck adding apps like that those to their screens? The dealer added a front camera to the truck and they were able to add that control to my screen but the widget they added for it is called Aux2. Does anyone know how to rename a widget on their screen?

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Just because it is listed in the owners manual doesn't mean you can simply add it to the radio and it will work. I think some of those features would require a module or sensor to have been installed during assembly. They want you to buy a higher level trim package where those items are standard or can be an add on until you get to the Limited in which most of that is standard equipement. But in my 2022 Big Horn, the defrost, heated seats and steering wheel plus the heated side mirrors come on automatically on remote start (below 40 degrees). Yours should as well I would think unless the dealer screwed something up.

OP
OP
L

Lawrence P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. I’ll check out the remote start piece. Just seems short sighted on Ram’s part to not let me spend more money after I buy the vehicle and sell the modules that could be plugged in to get extra features. Maybe some third party will sell those at some point.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. I’ll check out the remote start piece. Just seems short sighted on Ram’s part to not let me spend more money after I buy the vehicle and sell the modules that could be plugged in to get extra features. Maybe some third party will sell those at some point.
You may want to venture over to the AlfaOBD section of this forum. If you don’t know about AlfaOBD it is a software package that can access most of the computers and CANBUS on our trucks. Technically it can theoretically access all Stellantis vehicles but I’ll wait for you to buy the Alfa Romeo to test it out. Anyway with it many over in the AlfaOBD section have added/modified equipment not originally found in their trucks. You may find answers to some of your questions from those members who used AlfaOBD to do what you are looking for. You mentioned passive entry in a previous post. I added the entire keyless N go system to my 2018 BigHorn using OEM parts and AlfaOBD. You may want to check it out.

zrock

Reaction score
why would you have not just purchased a truck with all those features already in them? Your going to be way over the cost with having the dealer installing all these things...

OP
OP
L

Lawrence P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I’ll go check out that website.

A few reasons on the truck I purchased - I did look at one of the upgraded packages and they had every color except the color except the one I wanted - the Granite Chrystal Metallic. I wanted a specific custom color for my leather interior that would not be available on one of the higher trim models so that I would have paid extra to have the leather removed and replaced. Same for the lift, wheels, and tires. Also I didn’t realize some of the items I’m now looking for were even available for a Ram truck but once I started looking at my manual I saw features that I would really like to have. Hope that answers your question

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
why would you have not just purchased a truck with all those features already in them? Your going to be way over the cost with having the dealer installing all these things...

Yes and no with alfaobd you can add a lot cheaper than dealer mark up. Also this day and age finding a truck with all the tech you want might not be around. I looked last year for a fully loaded limited 3500 and all I could find was a big horn... looked for 3 months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lawrence P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for that input. I’ll look forward to see what I can do.

pseudoexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Lawrence P I am in a similar situation based mostly on truck availability but I have good news! There are a few things you can add after the fact, most notably the keyless doorhandles. I have this kit coming in a week or so, I have high hopes when paired with the programmer I linked as well. The same company that does the door handle does a few other camera relocation kits and retrofit kits that look handy.

Door Hardware
OBD Programmer Thingy

From what I was reading going to the dealer is a hard process for them to get in touch with Ram to change something with your VIN then you sync down to the truck... sounded terrible so I went with the OBDGenie way

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Lawrence P
OBD Programmer Thingy

From what I was reading going to the dealer is a hard process for them to get in touch with Ram to change something with your VIN then you sync down to the truck... sounded terrible so I went with the OBDGenie way
I think if you spend that money on ALfaodb and an interface you'll be glad. You can use it over and over to do all sorts of things vs one and done with the ODBGenie. Also, that kit doesn't seem to include the RF Hub and four antennas you're going tyo need.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks so much for the input. I’ll give it a try.
You can add the factory passive entry feature for quite a bit cheaper than the kit and programmer posted above.