'12 5.7 longevity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shortbus317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all,

Just acquired a 2012 5.7 Big Horn. It looks like it was well taken care of, but when I went out of town towing an 1800lb tow, it overheated within 45 miles. Towed to dealer, they replaced radiator, 204 therm and housing. Drove it 45 miles again and towed to shop overheating. Dealer found that prior owner put radiator stop leak and it plugged a water inlet. They are replacing the heads, rods, valves, gaskets, basically the top end of the motor.

I want this truck to last a long time and intend on it being a daily driver. I plan on putting a 180 therm in it the minute I get it back, and heard that the v6 e-fan is a must. Is there anything else I should look at or do to increase the longevity of the vehicle? Whatever it is will be done in a shop due to time and space availability.

Forgot to add, this is the 4x4, with 113k on the odo.

Thanks!

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
If they’ve got the heads off, have them check the lifters. 2012 is right in the zone for model years that had bad lifter/cams. Since I’m spending your money, are they replacing the water pump, too?

OP
OP
shortbus317

shortbus317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they’ve got the heads off, have them check the lifters. 2012 is right in the zone for model years that had bad lifter/cams. Since I’m spending your money, are they replacing the water pump, too?
Yes, forgot to add that. They are replacing the water pump as well. I plan on going on a drive from Vegas to Havasu the day after I get it back (with a small trailer in tow). They advised me that in the event it overheats, they will throw in a new motor since I have only been able to put about 100 miles on it and its still covered.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Sounds good. sounds Like they’re hitting all the important pieces.

OP
OP
shortbus317

shortbus317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quick update: Engine has been running butter smooth since the head replacment. I drove it 2500 miles in varying conditions (Vegas to SW Colorado, through mountains, then back) without issue. Temp never reached above 205.

Fast forward to yesterday. I drove it 7 miles and it went to 240 within 15 minutes. Granted, its 111 degrees, but that seems a bit excessive. coolant looks topped off, it was burped (I could hear slushing originally behind the glove box, so I burped it weeks ago), and I see nothing out of the ordinary. I took it into the dealer to investigate, but since 240 isn't considered overheating, I am expecting them to give it back and say they found nothing to worry about. I am at a loss at what else is left. The water temp went from 130 (engine off) to 220 in a matter of 2-3 minutes it seemed. 180tstat already in place and appears to open just by checking hose pressure by touch.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
240 is for sure way to hot my truck runs at 208 and its summer maybe you have a cooling fan issue? or air in the system/defective waterpump/tsat Also since it had previous stop leak in the system maybe running some cleaner threw cooling system again.

OP
OP
shortbus317

shortbus317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@jws123 - The dealer replaced the T-Stat, Water Pump, Radiator, Hoses, Heads, and did a coolant flush. I have the stock fan and a replacement shroud (no fins). It does drop from 240 but stays sustained in the 227-235 range. Image is just leaving work, 1/4 mile from the on-ramp and 3 miles down the highway on light traffic (no stop & go). Trans and Oil temp seem fine.

I will definitely try the RMI25 and see how it goes. Dealer is keeping it overnight, so hopefully they find something.

20230710_161752.jpg

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone checked your fan clutch? its a 2012 so it has one.

htwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My 2011 5.7 is abused. I change fluids regularly and had the coolant done not too long ago. Water pump was replaced in 2018. I do property maintenance so it sees 20-40 start/stops a day. It also plows, last 7 years with zero issues outside of the 4wd service light popping on every so often then goes away. Went from a 7.5 to 8 foot blade two years ago. Only 221k kms mostly in town, and owes me nothing. 240 temp is definitely on the high side. Make sure the radiators aren't filled with crud, back wash them with a hose and the fan should be kicking on.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am at 160k on the factory radiator, clutch fan, water pump, and t stat. Mine has slowly started to heat up not bad yet. I ordered Lubeguard Kool it. Mine has only gotten to 230* once and it was low on coolant. I did have the radiator flushed and fresh fluid put in at 140k.

OP
OP
shortbus317

shortbus317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks htwo. They recently replaced the radiator with a new one. I took it to the dealer, and they approved a new radiator (again), new motor, heads (again), transmission, water pump (again), thermostat housing (again), and replace the shroud. I will likely go to the V6 e-fan once I get it back after a few thousand miles, since I heard it operates better than the stock fan. We expect temps today around 119-120, so I figure anything I can do to keep it cool will keep it lasting, or so I hope.

Fortunately, it sounds like I am getting a totally new drivetrain. Only things left with 100k+ miles are the chassis, exhaust, suspension, and bushings/mounts.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
175k on my 2012 and replaced the thermostat 2 or 3 years ago
Didn't overheat,just had a check engine light

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I recently replaced the upper / lower hoses, t-stat, water pump (OEM) and most importantly the cooling fan module. Didn't realize the module needed to be replaced but the tech said that it fails by 100K (I have 150K). I am in Texas (hell's front porch) and the truck has not risen above 199 driving and 203 idling in the intense afternoon heat. My oil temps are running lower as well. My truck would run 220 idling and the temps would fluctuate between 203 - 220 before doing all of this. Hope this helps.