12 inch Uconnect is junk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah I have an 18 so it wasn't an option but the biggest problem I can see is that it replaces the idiot knobs for the heat, a/c, etc. I like having the knobs. My wifes durango has some of the controls like heated seat controls and steering wheel built into her 8.4 Not a fan. I would imagine that the longevity of a button is much greater than a push button screen. Big GPS screen would be nice but not necessary.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OMG, I am so glad I got the 8 inch screen and NO friggin Nav. Why do people still order built in GPS? Every one I've had since my 2005 Durango had issues. Toyota, Nissan, GM, FCA. Car based navigation units universally suck.

- How does everyone like having functions turned off when underway? Not even my passenger navigator can access important functions, like selecting a destination from the map, when underway.
- Then there are the update nightmares. $100-$300 for an updated map. Each year. Toyota's were the worst.
- Error messages and malfunctions: I've seen errors like "No detailed map is available for this area, turn by turn guidance is turned off". In a frigging nearby city laid out in the 1920s!
- How about routing insanity. I've been put on rutted out dirt roads in our 2003 Solara convertible. Updated 6 months before. The road has been dirt and rutted out for 80 years, yet the stupid Toyota Nav insists on using it.
- Lousy interfaces and impossible to read in bright light. In a car. Well duh.

Faced with this frustration, we use smart phones, Google and Waze. HOWEVER, neither work very well in areas without cell coverage and neither have routing options for RVs. NO its NOT fine to get routed on a road with an 11 foot bridge in a 12 ft high RV!

So that's why each of our cars has a car mount for our Garmin GPS unit, and my truck has a Rand McNally tablet based GPS. With either I can count on free recently updated maps and traffic information thru my cell phone. I can use Rand's website to plan long distance trips. I can do it on my tablet, PC, even my cell phone, and download the data anywhere to Rand's GPS. As for cost? How about 25% of the cost of a fancy car based Nav and all updates are free.

Again, why does anyone buy the stupid car based GPS?

Factory nav is "always there". No dead battery. No broken cables not letting it power on. Yes, its most likely not the best route evar, but it gets you home when it needs to.

Even if I dont use it, I like having it....never know when you'll end up in some sketchy place you dont quite recognize and need to GTFOOD. Voice activate the nav to go home and follow the directions. I prefer my wife (and eventually, kids) have that at their fingertips instead of having to try and futz with a phone or Garmin in a rush.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have to agree on nav on radio, my phone is always updated and I can have passenger put new location in without stopping. I have used many manufacturer units, to date have found zero that don't take me some circuitous route, prevent use while in motion, or just don't update frequently enough even though I have deeply explored all settings. My 8.4 UAS interface with phone works flawlessly.

Related, I just don't trust a central point to operate so many different and unrelated functions of a vehicle. Just my personal opinion. When the large integrated units work, they look cool. But when they don't, well, we read the pain of those who post here.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Nav in my 8.4 works extremely well. I keep my Travelink subscription active so it knows traffic flow and accidents and also keep my maps updated. I totally agree that the $149 for a map that's already a year old when it comes out is ridiculous but I honestly prefer the factory Nav with my RA4. I have seen others say it works terrible so I guess I just got lucky. I have gone into my settings and chosen my navigation preferences and I think a lot of people probably don't do that or even know it's there so that may be part of it. Also RA3 radios that have had the Nav enabled don't have Travelink capabilities so they obviously won't work as well as the RA4. Obviously this is for the 13 to 17 trucks the 18 up radios with the Android Auto and Apple Car Play would are a different story. I also like the fact that my factory Nav still works when I'm out of cell service. To each his own I guess.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello everyone--

To anyone that has been experiencing concerns with SXM continuously loading, we understand your frustrations but we hear you and appreciate your patience while this concern is being looked into. While this is subject to change, you can expect a FOTA to be coming in Q1 that will address this concern. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Courtney
Ram Cares

dale197338

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi
I don't get the people who ***** about this. This is what everyone wants cool gadgets and then have a fit saying the vehicle is junk. We are to blame for all these gadgets and doo dads because their cool and hip. Hope to God if you have that big screen your looking out the windshield instead of that 12" screen. If you are one of those people hope your the hell away from me.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I have the 8.4 w/Nav. Bought off the lot. I wouldn’t have ordered it. Since I have it I’ve tested it while my wife used her iPhone & Google maps for a side by side, real time comparison. Occasionally their routing matched up but typically not. iPhone w/Google maps is far superior and easier to use. When I’m by myself I use my iPhone and CarPlay if I need nav assistance.

As for the 12” unit.... not really a gadget guy and frankly do not care for the looks of it in the dash. Thinking I’ll order the next truck instead of buying off the lot, probably a late 22 or early 23. It’ll have the 8.4 without the nav if I can still get it that way.