12v Battery Outlet in 2022 Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tobint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Forgive me if this has been asked before. I did a search on the forums and only found things relating to keeping older generation Ram 2500's 12v center console power on.

I bought a Dometic refrigerated cooler that I want to keep in the rear seat in the center lined up with the center console in the front. It will plug into AC or DC outlets and that's cool. However, since the AC outlet in my vehicle turns off when the car does, the fridge has limited value for me in that way. Is there a way to keep the AC outlet on without keeping the truck in ACC mode or a relatively painless way to add a DC outlet to the back of the center console? I don't like my cord running from the back seat to the front dash. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
tobint

tobint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Bump. Sorry to be the new guy bumping a post. I am hoping someone knows the answer and just didn't see it before.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I'm not sure about your truck but one of my 12V outlets has an option for constant 12V ("hot") or ignition 12V ("switched"). It came from the factory on "switched" power and my Owner's Manual shows the fuse configuration to change between the two.

I don't have an HD so am not aware of any tricks so, other than that, you'd live with the cord or re-wire the outlet as far as I can tell.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgive me if this has been asked before. I did a search on the forums and only found things relating to keeping older generation Ram 2500's 12v center console power on.

I bought a Dometic refrigerated cooler that I want to keep in the rear seat in the center lined up with the center console in the front. It will plug into AC or DC outlets and that's cool. However, since the AC outlet in my vehicle turns off when the car does, the fridge has limited value for me in that way. Is there a way to keep the AC outlet on without keeping the truck in ACC mode or a relatively painless way to add a DC outlet to the back of the center console? I don't like my cord running from the back seat to the front dash. Any help would be appreciated.
I run an ARB 50 and I would not recommend using the AC 120V inverter to run your fridge unless you are actually driving or you will have a dead battery in a short time. My ARB 50 runs on 12V for a long time without running the battery down but on 120 it will suck juice pretty fast. I use a jackery 1000 to run my fridge on 12V and it will run my fridge for 4 days without a charge and I I charge my jackery with either 12V or 120V while driving and it will usually keep the jackery pretty topped off unless of course I am not driving much but when traveling it works great.IMG_20220629_102456184_HDR.jpg

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Running something like a fridge on the 12 volts, would be drawing a lot of juice. I cant imagine running it w/o the engine running would be a good thing for very long.

OP
OP
tobint

tobint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks everyone. A couple clarifications:

I want to run this on DC .. not AC. But my only DC outlet is on the dash. I have an AC outlet on the rear console but I’d prefer to have another 12v. That’s the solution I want.

I agree that running without starting the engine could be a problem, but 1) this is a dometic that has its own battery protection that turns itself off to protect the starting battery and 2) I unplug it myself when I leave it longer than a day or two. I just want the same solution I have now, and it works well, but I want the power cord to not be draped from the dash to the rear fridge.