12V battery pack booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rick1201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looking for recommendation for a 12V battery pac booster. My generation 4 17 5.7 crew cabs battery is approaching 5 years old. Kind of thinking the day is coming when its going to bite the bullet sooner rather than later. Would appreciate any recommendations. Does any one replace their battery on a regular interval? Say three four or five years. Also hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

Rick

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Looking for recommendation for a 12V battery pac booster. My generation 4 17 5.7 crew cabs battery is approaching 5 years old. Kind of thinking the day is coming when its going to bite the bullet sooner rather than later. Would appreciate any recommendations. Does any one replace their battery on a regular interval? Say three four or five years. Also hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

Rick
Just from experience I change mine at 5 years regardless. Doesn't mean you can't have a defective one at anytime but 5 years is where I quit trusting them. I've had batteries that start my vehicle fine 1 day and dead the next. 5 years seems to be a good average.

2021Ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Since I spend a lot of time off road and boon-docking I usually change mine no later then 3 years old. On my new truck I'll add on a second battery so I might push that out to 4 years since you have to replace both at the same time. I don't care for those portable booster units since I've had batteries so dead that they couldn't be jump started. I've also had to take the battery out of the camper to put in the truck to replace a dead battery.

They're much better these days then way back when but I still don't trust them much when I'm betting my life on them. Relatively speaking it's an easy and cheap replacement item that you might have to bet your life on some day!

If you don't do any of the above and always have cell coverage and AAA or something close by I guess you can go out to 5 years.

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5 years is max for me. I've found that on most of my new cars, the battery has failed around year 6, so I just replace them before they have a chance to fail. If I've somehow let a battery discharge to the point of being dead dead, I'll replace it even sooner.

I also carry a Noco GB70 and transfer it between the truck and boat. I've only ever had to use it for other folks, but it's a life saver.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think pretty much all of the lithium jumpstarters are more similar than different in quality, seems like there is no such thing as a truly guaranteed "better" product but the cheap ones don't seem really that bad either.

I bought a cheap $100 one at Autozone two summers ago when my Ram wasn't starting, would have just bought a battery that day but Autozone didn't have an AGM in our size. I bought an AGM the next day somewhere else.

Anyway the Autozone unit has worked fine the three times I needed it on my truck (without recharging between, and still read something like 85%..) and it worked when I used it on my project car this year. So I guess it's been good, or at least good enough.

Regarding the OE battery it lasted just about four years, in Phoenix AZ . Never was fully drained in its life before that, I've owned the truck from new. Seems like wet batteries last around 4-5 years and AGM's last 5-10 years.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Looking for recommendation for a 12V battery pac booster. My generation 4 17 5.7 crew cabs battery is approaching 5 years old. Kind of thinking the day is coming when its going to bite the bullet sooner rather than later. Would appreciate any recommendations. Does any one replace their battery on a regular interval? Say three four or five years.
I find even the best ones are as reliable as a 5 year old battery is. Hotel's I work with try them all, less liability than loaning out cables but frequently fail to work.

If you're worried about it replace it, it's cheap piece of mind.

I run mine till they fail to start, which is inevitably on a -30c winter Saturday 15 minutes after anywhere I can get a battery closes, but I keep cables in them and have a spare vehicle. Too many factors impact lifespan to predict.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just wait until there is some sign that the battery is failing

Such as the remote start not working for no reason at all & charging the battery for 2 hours does not help, then i use the Battery Load Tester & it tells the whole story

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have been using this for years. Bought it to carry on our ATV because a dead battery would create a 5+ mile hike back to camp. I've jumped everything from D-3 Cat dozers to 6.7 Cummins. When not traveling I keep it in my home out of the temperature swings of hot and cold. If i had charged $10 for every vehicle I jumped I would have paid for it years ago. Be careful of counterfeits being sold under this brand name. I purchase via amazon with the sold and shipped by them. They also have fakes.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you could install a NOCO battery tender and plug it in once in a while.

20211017_145446.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I carry one of these,it's constantly getting borrowed at the track,and so far hasn't failed and it's 6 years old now.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

Rick
The question is will it boost a battery with a bad cell. I got one of those new small ones and it didn't turn over the truck. They might work if you just ran your battery down. I had to do a cable jump start.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could run the bigger H8 on your ram 1500 hemi with a tiny bit of modification. The ecodiesels run the H8. Gives you a bit more juice which is needed for those cold nights.