'13 Cam Specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thought I'd put this info out there: Intake valves (2.04-2.06in) exhaust (1.55-1.56in). Camshaft intake duration 268degree, Exhaust Duration 290degrees, Overlap 44 degrees. intake opens @28.2 BTDC closes 268 ATDC, Exhaust opens 274.2 BTDC, Closes 15.8 ATDC. Valve lift @ 0 lash intake(.472) and Exhaust (.460) I was very surprised to learn on the DYNO that my TORQUE curve wasn't so flat, in fact, I was making torque(300-327lbs) up to 5079 RPM. That kinda stinks in my book. Thinking of changing out the cam if I can find the right profile.

Last edited:

ericlee9386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A comp custom cam is the only way to go with the trucks. I have the 6.4 and wish I went custom. A blower maybe a much better way to go.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I've heard rumbles of disappointment with 6.1, 6.4 swaps with these newer eagle heads. I just want most of my torque below 3500-4000rpm and flatter across the rpm range. I think it's gonna take some custom grinding and a good tune. I'm not sure how many manufactures offer VVT MDS Camshafts for these truck but I'll hunt someone down. Start figuring what profile I'll need to make it a reality. My truck is just too heavy for performance with OEM camshaft. it's useless. Blower is a must and it shouldn't be too much longer before Arrington or someone makes a tune for one. A balance between the two extremes is planned.

Last edited:

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im gonna sub to this. I plan on doing a cam swap in the spring. So far im going with the 6.4 srt cam since I don't want anything aggressive and its a daily driver that tows once in a while. What also appeals to me is that its only a $300-400 project and fasthemiram05 has been able to run it without a tune with good results and with a B&G tune with even better results.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im gonna sub to this. I plan on doing a cam swap in the spring. So far im going with the 6.4 srt cam since I don't want anything aggressive and its a daily driver that tows once in a while. What also appeals to me is that its only a $300-400 project and fasthemiram05 has been able to run it without a tune with good results and with a B&G tune with even better results.

You are right, I have been a follower of his progress for sometime now. SRT cam is a possibility. I'd really like to see a DYNO sheet on the torque curve though. I guess, for me because I'm not towing anything with this truck or hauling, I want as much torque at the low end of the rpm range for launch purposes. Right now my truck is only producing 234ftlbs at 4000 rpm. At a min, I'd like that @ 3000 rpm.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out Modern Muscle Performance, they have a good performer for the LX based VVT Hemi.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found a Dyno sheet on this mod. Exactly what I'm looking for 6.4 cam swap. Most of the torque seems to be in the lower rpm range and flatter through out rpm range. Gonna check out Modern Muscle, thanks for the direction.

Attachments

• 6.4 cam.jpg
    6.4 cam.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats the 6.4 cam dyno? Looks good to me (im just getting into this stuff but ive been an aircraft mechanic for a few years).

Ill be doing a dyno pull for the before and a few more after to get it tuned - not sure if I want to do an email tune with a cam. Unfortunately im in canada and its getting pretty chilly out, I dont feel like trying to change out the valve springs with numb shaky hands. Ill purchase everything needed over the winter and first signs of warmth in the spring ill be tearing that engine down.

ericlee9386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Found a Dyno sheet on this mod. Exactly what I'm looking for 6.4 cam swap. Most of the torque seems to be in the lower rpm range and flatter through out rpm range. Gonna check out Modern Muscle, thanks for the direction.

Where did you find this graph? And nice dyno numbers.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did you find this graph? And nice dyno numbers.

I found this graph on Challengertalk.com. A member was in the process of putting in 6.4 cam. these were his dyno numbers. I like the torque graph, more to my liking for this truck and application. most of the torque is made in the lower rpm range.http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f179/alright-6-4-cam-84030/index4.html

I just don't know yet all the details of how well it would perform on this truck, cost vs HP, TQ, etc.

Last edited:

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eagle 5.7 vvt
I had it in my 11 and will be putting it in my 12.
The people that are losing hp/Tq with it are those idiots that used the Phaser limiter.
I never had mine dynoed but the butt dyno was impressed!!

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The people that are losing hp/Tq with it are those idiots that used the Phaser limiter.

I see your user name has been updated lol

Any issues whatsoever you might have run into during install or afterwards?

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah the Stock 6.4 cam is a direct replacement from what I understand on our 5.7. I think I can even use stock springs with this cam. The only time you would need a cam phase limiter are for cams that have increased lift to a point where advancing timing past a point (lets say 14* at the crank and 7* at the cam)would cause the valves to hit the pistons. Then were into a tune also with increased rpm range. is this correct? Any install write ups with this cam on our trucks available?
I have been looking into API Comp VVT 266 rpm 1800-6800 lift .612/.605 duration @ .050 218/226 but it needs cam phase limiter and a tune from Arrington and not required but suggested by Arrington to go with PSI springs.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well talked with Arrington and another blow to'13 Ram truck fans. The cam will fit but no one is able to tune the truck from there. Arrington had a '13 in , installed the cam. spent a long time, couldn't get it tuned right. Put it back to STOCK and sent it packing down the road. "To difficult to tune." If Arrington can't do it, who in the H@!! can? He even advised me against putting in the OEM 6.4 SRT cam, it still needs a tune or "I risk damage to my motor". I'm really starting to hate Ram and what they have done to their customer base. I'll never buy another one, end of story.

ericlee9386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The cam can run on a stock tune. I have done it and watched the pids and it looks safe. The software for the 13's is still new so give it some time. There are other tables that need to be open to tune a cam properly so give it some time. Arrington uses a different software than diablo you could always try johanna to see what he says. You will need new springs for the cam as it has more lift than the stock 5.7.

Check with Afterhours motorsports from south fla they can give some good advice about the 6.4 cam vs a custom grind. Welcome to the world of dodge it takes awhile to play in a new vehicle.