14 ram 1500 cam swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rrrraaaccee95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 ram 1500 5.7 With the 4 cylinder shut down option. I would like to delete the MDS system and do a cam swap, preferably a stage 2. What all exactly would be needed with the cam swap? I plan to do the labor my self and then pull it to a tune shop for the finishing touches.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just search the forum, this has been answered a million times.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stage 2 lol.........everyone who makes cams literally has some kind of "Stage" labeling. That tells us absolutely nothing lol. Do you have the tools and mechanical knowledge/experience to do this?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I have a 2014 ram 1500 5.7 With the 4 cylinder shut down option. I would like to delete the MDS system and do a cam swap, preferably a stage 2. What all exactly would be needed with the cam swap? I plan to do the labor my self and then pull it to a tune shop for the finishing touches.

If you plan to daily drive the truck stick to staged cams that do not lock the cam phaser. Reason is it sets off the CEL which will automatically fail emissions testing.

Next up
The need is as big as your wallet or CC will hold.

Cam (Comp stage 1)
Non-mds lifters
Push rods
Head gasket kit.
If you can run long tubes now would be a good time to install.

If don't have tools to degree the cam to set the timing now would be a good time to do so.
Screenshot_20211025-093657_Chrome.jpg

If you have iridium plugs leave them. They last way past 100,000 miles.

You could do a timing kit replacement while you're in there. Water pump, oil pump, timing chain etc but again, You won't see these parts till the engine is torn down.

You'll need the crank pulley puller, insert etc as far as other needed tools to disassemble the engine.

You can replace the pulley with an underdriven version for a power gain.

I will caution you though, if you have never done this at least have someone who has guide you through it. Nothing worse than the feeling of success only to find out all your valves just touched because the engine was timed 180° out.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will caution you though, if you have never done this at least have someone who has guide you through it.

The MMX video is all I watched and it was a piece of cake. The only people that screw up timing are the idiots who dont follow directions are are to cheap to buy proper tools... lol...