1500 Hemi years to avoid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the generic question, but I've given up on buying a new Ram 1500, as apparently you can no longer get a power passenger seat in the Big Horn and you have to get the level B equipment group to get BLIS, even though it's listed as a stand-alone option (and really ought to be a standard feature). So I am looking at used Laramies. I haven't bought a used vehicle in a while as I've had some bad luck with them. I know there were some lifter issues I think with the 5.7, and apparently some MDS issues as well. But I haven't been able to nail down the years that had problems. Are there any specific years I should avoid?

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Any year pre 2020 appears to have less problems but, anything used is luck of the draw.

I'd go for 1 owner. Low Miles, non rust state if possible. Be prepared to give up on color and focus on options you want. It's out there you just have to look

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m leery of the MDS system durability but I don’t know if it’s well founded or just me. Also not sure when it first appeared. There was a head change somewhere back towards 2000 (also not sure of year) that was a positive improvement for power. Also, the e-torque system seems like unnecessary complication. If buying used I would try to avoid it. But, don’t rely to much on my opinion, I have a 2023 with all the crap that’s just waiting for a time and place to fail.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any year pre 2020 appears to have less problems but, anything used is luck of the draw.

I'd go for 1 owner. Low Miles, non rust state if possible. Be prepared to give up on color and focus on options you want. It's out there you just have to look
Interesting, thanks. That leaves 2019 if I want the 5th gen. Yeah, I don't like not knowing if/how a vehicle was taken care of. I live in the southwest but it seems the majority of used trucks on dealer lots are from Canada. Maybe because of the exchange rate. I'm not too picky on color except I don't want black, and it seems all the best deals are black. But I wish Ram offered a light colored interior.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m leery of the MDS system durability but I don’t know if it’s well founded or just me. Also not sure when it first appeared. There was a head change somewhere back towards 2000 (also not sure of year) that was a positive improvement for power. Also, the e-torque system seems like unnecessary complication. If buying used I would try to avoid it. But, don’t rely to much on my opinion, I have a 2023 with all the crap that’s just waiting for a time and place to fail.
MDS has been around for a while, I thought they all the newer ones had it. I know my 2013 Charger had it, but my first Ram (2004) didn't. I think most 5th gen trucks have e-torque don't they? It seems like most reliability issues result from technology designed to improve mpg, thanks to cafe mandates. As much as I want better mpg I want reliability more.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interesting, thanks. That leaves 2019 if I want the 5th gen. Yeah, I don't like not knowing if/how a vehicle was taken care of. I live in the southwest but it seems the majority of used trucks on dealer lots are from Canada. Maybe because of the exchange rate. I'm not too picky on color except I don't want black, and it seems all the best deals are black. But I wish Ram offered a light colored interior.

There are lighter interior options and other than black interior options, but often they part of a premium package or special package. Fortunately I have gravitated towards black interiors since my first 64 Sport Fury and I was actually glad to see real black returning and not the usual gray graphite that most manufacturers were putting in cars for awhile. But I will admit they do seem to be pushing it real hard in most dealer stock.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the generic question, but I've given up on buying a new Ram 1500, as apparently you can no longer get a power passenger seat in the Big Horn and you have to get the level B equipment group to get BLIS, even though it's listed as a stand-alone option (and really ought to be a standard feature). So I am looking at used Laramies. I haven't bought a used vehicle in a while as I've had some bad luck with them. I know there were some lifter issues I think with the 5.7, and apparently some MDS issues as well. But I haven't been able to nail down the years that had problems. Are there any specific years I should avoid?
I have 2019 Bighorn, early build 5th Gen, yes no power pax seat, but it is also Non-E Torque. They kinda mixed them in and out in the 1st Model Year. Also early built 2019's as in built in 2018, a lot had LED Exterior like mine does, later built 2019's went back to quad. There were some non-e torque in 2020, not sure on 21, but they were really transitioning to E torque after 2019 and you gonna have to shop around.

I would stay away from Canadian Built if U R looking for any truck with a warranty left, as US warranty not honored in Canada and vice versa.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2005 SLT is still going strong at ~170k miles. The 2005 HEMI was the last year without MDS.

My 2018 Sport was the final year for the 4th generation trucks, so I'm hoping all the bugs were worked out for that series. The only problem I've had is the power folding mirror spur gear (plastic) broke; I replaced both with brass ones.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2019 Bighorn, early build 5th Gen, yes no power pax seat, but it is also Non-E Torque. They kinda mixed them in and out in the 1st Model Year. Also early built 2019's as in built in 2018, a lot had LED Exterior like mine does, later built 2019's went back to quad. There were some non-e torque in 2020, not sure on 21, but they were really transitioning to E torque after 2019 and you gonna have to shop around.

I would stay away from Canadian Built if U R looking for any truck with a warranty left, as US warranty not honored in Canada and vice versa.
Thanks, and good point about the warranty, I'll keep that in mind.

OP
OP
H

hemismith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I talked to a friend of mine that is on his 4th Ram. I don't know the years of his previous 3 but he had MDS/lifter issues with all 3, one at 85k, one at 90k, and one at 110k. I know one was in the shop for a long time while he went back and forth with FCA.

I found some really good deals on new Big Horns that are really tempting. I sat in the passenger seat and it didn't seem too bad, but you don't really know until you go on a long drive. And of course they don't have BLIS or 3.92 gears. I also drive a 2025. I guess BLIS is standard now, along with some other nice things. About time. Frustrating as the older ones have all kinds of other features that I never use. But I'm really leery of the reliability of the new engine. I guess it's been in the Jeep for a year but I think I would give it another year before getting one.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 21 classic and so far have put 60k miles no issues. Mine is a 5.7l non e torque. Now recently we have new neighbors and they have a 1500 have to ask which year they bought used and already replaced the motor and now in shop again for overheating. With 125k when ai see then again I have to ask which year it is

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be more worried about the rear window leaks and E-torque in the 5th Gen than the Hemis.
Had my CHMSL and rear window replaced under FCA extended warranty, on their dime. Had e rad fan replaced under maxcare warranty. I be a very happy BOIRD not having E Torque. Now the new I6 Hurricane motors no E torque, but still being put into the trucks with the Pentastar V6 motors.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, and good point about the warranty, I'll keep that in mind.
You gonna have to go pretty new to have any warranty gonna have to be like a 2021 or newer doing the math, since U got the (3) year, 36,000 standard on most vehicles these years. Just be aware and informed.

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 22 with torque. Absolutely love it. Doesn't use the starter to restart. Leaving a stop and the first couple feet forward is done by the etorque. Do not hear it turning over to start. Added bonus is If I hit the skinny pedal as soon as I release brake I get an extra 140 ft lbs of torque.. I guess the kid in me also likes the start up sound of the Mopar Passive Cold End Exhaust.(Boral Catback System).With Mopars Ram Aur

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '21 Classic (4th gen) that I bought new in January '22 and have had no problems after about 24K miles besides a recent rear passenger door actuator.

The actuator is covered by the extended warranty.

It has a 5.7, non E-torque engine, the oil gets changed every 5-6K miles with synthetic oil and a synthetic Fram oil filter.

The truck runs great and pleases me no-end, every time I drive it. :cool:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '21 Classic (4th gen) that I bought new in January '22 and have had no problems after about 24K miles besides a recent rear passenger door actuator.

The actuator is covered by the extended warranty.

It has a 5.7, non E-torque engine, the oil gets changed every 5-6K miles with synthetic oil and a synthetic Fram oil filter.

The truck runs great and pleases me no-end, every time I drive it. :cool:

"Butt" pleasure, roflmao.