1500 Hidden Winch Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have been all over for some time trying to come up with a solution to adding a winch and keeping my stock bumpers. Wagunner and a few others here on the forum have a good plan but I needed something already made that would help me accomplish this. WARN and Go Rhino are apparently not interested and fabricating my own is not going to be an option as I do not have access to the tools to do so and I refuse to buy them for just this project.
During my most recent search I found a plate fabricated by a guy in California that also has a 4th Gen himself and he has made a few extra for sale. He has paired his up with a WARN ZEON 12-S winch and states it is only setup for a winch with the synthetic rope at this time. This series winch from WARN has the wireless remote that lets you engage/disengage the clutch so there is no climbing under the truck to release so you can free spool. With the winch being hidden it is going to be hard to access this function. I do think this is going to be the perfect solution for me.
https://www.warn.com/zeon-12s-platinum-winch-95960
I ordered the plate from him already however with the price of the winch I am going to be bit out on ordering the 12-S. Install and such will be delayed as I refuse to charge this project.
Share your thoughts and if you happen to be in the market, this may be your ticket to getting that winch installed. He stated he currently has 9 left but will fab more if needed but you'd have to wait for the builds to be completed. Did not mention time though. Click the link below for the auction as he does have a few pics to give an idea of the setup.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-to-20...987942?hash=item1a6c3b7e26:g:ow4AAOSwaG1brsjj

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have you considered a front hitch mount and just keep the winch in a cradle stashed in the back. Also means you can use it front or back if you run the wiring to both.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man I really like the looks of that. I wish they made one for the sport style front end. I messaged him on Ebay and told him if he ever did I would definitely be interested.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
radkawi

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I did thanks. Two things concerned me about this. First is storage as I have an open bed for hauling items and second, if I needed it for the unexpected it would most likely be at the house. Preferred to have it static on the truck. Thanks.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Curious if this would work on with a sport bumper. I keep thinking I should have a winch but I love the sport bumper too much to change it out.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
radkawi

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Curious if this would work on with a sport bumper. I keep thinking I should have a winch but I love the sport bumper too much to change it out.

In the auction details he states it currently does not fit however that plate is next. Rick just posted he dropped him a message letting him know he wanted one. Do the same as the more who let him know there is someone ready to buy the more motivated he will be to get it done for you.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He states in the listing that they don't have one for the Sport (yet) which gives me a little hope that they may be considering it and that's why I messaged him. The sport bumper is actually a pretty tight fit back there So I'm sure would take a little bit of ingenuity but I'm assuming it could be done. I have already installed the tow hooks on my Express and I like the look but I have always wanted a winch and there is simply no option for my truck that I have found that makes sense. As radkawi stated in most cases the more intrest that people show the more they may consider making one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Time to break out the power tools and welder!

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinkin the same.

Yeah would take much to make a hidden mount. Then find a cable guide cut a hole in stock bumper done.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah would take much to make a hidden mount. Then find a cable guide cut a hole in stock bumper done.
Yeah but I'm lazy. I'm thinking I'd just build a good size skid plate under the truck with accommodations for a winch.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah but I'm lazy. I'm thinking I'd just build a good size skid plate under the truck with accommodations for a winch.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I would tie into the front bumper mounts then the bottom where the tow hooks bolt to. Weld your cross peices in done

I would just make a plate for where the front bumper bolts to the another plate where the tow hooks go. Make a center piece done

OP
OP
radkawi

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Agree with you all and have considered many options. I do however refuse to buy a welder and the many other tools. A local fabricator is 250 just for a mockup. Another couple for final plus powder coat. This guy has done all the leg work and for the price, I'm game.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Making my argument for being lazy way way too easy. [emoji51]

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Silly question. How to you access the controls to change to free spool? It would seem to be pretty tucked up in there.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Silly question. How to you access the controls to change to free spool? It would seem to be pretty tucked up in there.
You wouldn't free spool. You use the remote winch control to spool Out when ur pulling the line to the tree. That's how I understood it and usually do it on the quads

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You wouldn't free spool. You use the remote winch control to spool Out when ur pulling the line to the tree. That's how I understood it and usually do it on the quads

Or buy a fancy Warn Zeon S with the clutch controlled via wireless remote.........

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
What trim level 1500 do you have? These guys designed and fabbed a nice hidden winch mount for the Rebel, maybe they'll do others... www.vicedesign.ca .

Tony Flock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Gas
I’m also trying to install a hidden winch on my 2018 Ram 2500 (6.4 Gas, Laramie). It looks like Mopar makes a hidden mounting plate for the 3500. Would it work on my 2500? Or how do we find the “guy in California” that’s making some to sell?
I appreciate your ideas.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Have you considered a front hitch mount and just keep the winch in a cradle stashed in the back. Also means you can use it front or back if you run the wiring to both.
This is exactly what I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeedHead