1500 - Most weight towed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
BTW, there is already an almost identical thread to this and it is a sticky... .. .

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tow a 9600 lb. tractor and trailer behind my 2014 Ram 1500 for a total distance of 500 miles each time. My 2-wheel drive QC with the 8HP70 8-speed and 3.92 axle is rated for 10,450 lbs. You, of course, will notice that kind of weight behind you when driving, but this truck handles it effortlessly.

Don Hileman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 Ram Long Horn and tow my 33 ft trailer with it! Its loaded weight has to be around 10,000 lbs! I use tow and sway bars! It pulls great and stops great with trailer brakes1 I travel in the mountains of West Virginia and have no problems with it! It has the 5.7 engine and four wheel drive!

mckeiffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had 35 80# bags of quickcrete, plus tool box full of tools in my 01 GMC Z71. She didn't like it but drove here for another few years. Sure like my '17 1500 Ram 4x4 better, but doubt I could put anywhere near that on board

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Just towed a uhaul auto transport with a 2007 Jeep Liberty loaded up. Weight was at about 6400 pounds.

I have the factory air suspension and the truck was leveled out and drove with no issues.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Just towed a uhaul auto transport with a 2007 Jeep Liberty loaded up. Weight was at about 6400 pounds.

I have the factory air suspension and the truck was leveled out and drove with no issues.

I have the factory air suspension too, really like it so much! I pull 8600 Lb Camper with mine just fine no issues at all.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Larry_Denali_2_zpsi1syvszb.jpg

Larry_Denali_1_zpsuzkx6nve.jpg

Truck details on the left side. Trailer is a Dutchmen Denali 289RK

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's one heavy trailer for a 1/2 ton. Tons of rear sag. 10,000 lb trailers are no match for a 1/2 ton RAM platform.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I think some guys have a psychological thing with a 5th wheel camper. Seen this before. Even though a 5er is fundamentally more stable and safe than a bumper pull of the same size because of both leverage and aerodynamics. But 4 guys post about towing 10k an absolute max possible rated tow for a 1500. Nobody says a thing.

So a guy with a smaller 5er gets questioned and told it’s too much trailer very unsafe, albeit due in part to a bad old picture. But READ his posts below max axle ratings and only 14,305 CVW. Since pic he has dropped 200lbs off the drive axle by switching to the lightweight Andersen. (They have superior articulation on steep sharp switchbacks btw) AND added airbags to get everything leveled out. But scale slips should accompany that photo. Well & make a new photo with level truck & trailer.

But I am guessing some of his numbers are modified perhaps from the hitch change because scales always weigh in 20 pound increments.

Country boys bigger challenge was it was too much for the 4.7 3.55 6 speed combo.

The only sorta scary one I see for sure is 4,100 pounds of scaffolding in the bed. That’s 10k on the truck axles. Over half on the drive axle no doubt. Sheer that axle on a pot hole and it’s an ugly wreck. I’ve had 8,200 on truck axles and can imagine what 10k looked & felt like!

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Anytime I read towing/hauling posts I get a headache. I went with a 2500 because I have rough roads. Sometimes haul heavy loads and in general I Abuse my truck. I only and will only tow a gooseneck trailer because they’re soooo much easier and better to pull, backup; turn and park. However a half ton truck will handle a pretty darn good load especially when using a gooseneck or 5th wheel. Just be reasonable and safe. I sure hope all the “weight police” never speed, use phone while driving, drink and drive, or get distracted. Cause well I think that’s more dangerous than being a little overweight while towing. Sorry I haven’t had all my coffee this morning and nothing on tv except a royal wedding. So I may be a little extra cranky :boxing:

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Of all the towing comments made over the last 15 years a headache occurs every time. I'm not Cranky now past the 3 rd cup and had my eggs to ya 22!
If the truck is with in its specified tow capacities with good serviceable equipment and tires etc. it seems you have tow experience and "feels safe" to you your good to go,it it does not feel safe then your not good to go and lighten the load or increase the truck size.
Texting, drinking, Phone use while towing bothers hell out of me too, but one to add to that terrible mix is the guys who pass me with a large camper at 80 MPH! Some have been more! Like the "Harley Flippers" always flipping the Throttle LOOK AT ME!!! Sorry but I don't want to look at you at 80 MPH passing me with a Camper on the back. I'm looking at you all right,but not impressed the least bit. The "Harley Flippers" I just LMAO harmless!

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Correct that is not my truck. Here is my truck at about 350,000 miles.
upload_2018-6-14_18-42-44.jpegupload_2018-6-14_18-44-10.jpeg
Guy said he has towed that double rig twice avg mpg 13.85. Last trip Lake Tahoe NV area to Pismo Beach CA and back. Bet that lil EcoD got a good workout that trip as he had to cross some good grades.

Truck has a tune and an engine brake and a factory TBC. Said this scale slip was done earlier. After which he removed the tailgate and relocated the spare to behind the 5er which removed over 100 pounds from his truck. Still heck of a load for a 1500.

"The superglide hitch keeps the nose of the trailer close to the cab until I make a corner so it helps with the wind drag of the huge fiberglass brick I have back there. With the higher pressure in the tires and the short sidewalls they help to make it more stable also. The weight of the fifth wheel is somewhat ahead of the rear axle also to not only does it put downforce on the front axle but also any side force is ahead of the rear axle to help eliminate sway in the curves."

rwrueter, Controlling a load this size in in-climate weather & road conditions is a legit concern. Especially run away or controlling speed down a grade and or emergency stopping a load that is over CVWR. I will say having the factory trailer brake controller and a turbo brake from a tune as this fellow has as does my truck is a benefit of having the little diesel.

As mentioned earlier heaviest CVW I have towed is 15,800. I have taken that over longer 6 percent grades. Coming down I have no trouble setting my cruise control descent speed and keeping it there with no input from my foot IE truck brakes just the turbo & transmission brake combo and the TBC. This keeps the truck brakes cool in case I am in need of an emergency stop. My original brakes went 293k and I am still on my second set at nearly 440k. (truck tows commercially) So the towing doesn't seem to prematurely wear the brakes.

Emergency stop with up to the 15,800 I have worked with has been very respectable but I was working with a new trailer with good brakes and my gain maximized. Emergency stopping the CVW of the 18,100 he was towing I can't speak to but I am confident to the rated max of 4th gen 1500 platform which is 15,950.

upload_2018-6-14_18-43-15.jpeg

Last edited:

Seaholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a 6500 lbs boat and trailer on a 60 mile round trip to the boat ramp and back a few times a month without any issues. I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with a 3.6 with 3.21 gears. Might try a 500 mile trip to the keys. Hoping the truck will not have any issues.