16’ Ram 1500 suspension issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J_Harr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 l ecodiesel
Hello,

I am currently at wits end. Middle of June ‘20 I purchased a used ‘16 Eco Diesel. When I test drive the vehicle I noticed that the air suspension would not lower when in OR2. I took it back to the dealer and told them I would purchase the truck, given that they would resolve the issues with the suspension. They agreed. This truck had 86,*** miles on it when it was purchased.

a couple weeks later I brought the truck in to get it fixed. They replaced a ride height sensor and said all was good to go.

I picked up the truck, and tested the air suspension and it again had the same issue. Warning message stated immediate air suspension service required. Brought the vehicle back about a week later. They reset the computer and some things said it was good to go again.

a few weeks went by, and I was driving to a friends house which is about a 40 mile trip. The left hand side of the truck lowered itself all the way down on the highway. Right side stayed up. This issue has been recurring since. Brought the truck back to the dealership and they told me it was due to the air suspension control module being bad and that they could replace it. Great. Replace it. To my dismay, I was told I would have to fork up the $1,200 to fix it because it was an unrelated issue to the original problem. I had many conversations with the dealer and they agreed to replace the component at no cost to me. A few weeks went by, and I’m having the same issue. Left hand side down. Right side up. Sometimes I can get it to raise up. Other times it will tell me it’s raising but nothing happens. It doesn’t seem to know where it’s at sometimes in terms of what level it’s at. The issue is not a leak, as it sits outside at OR2 overnight and doesn’t lower itself down every morning. I drive ten miles to work, left side is low. Entry-exit height. If I hit a bump, sometimes it will lower the left. It seems completely random. The truck is currently back at the dealership to get resolved again. This is the 4th time they’ve had the truck and I’m not sure what to do with it now. Nobody can seem to find or resolve the issue. I love this truck and have had zero issues with it besides the suspension. I’m afraid this is going to cause issues with the tires/alignment or any other issues. I want to keep the truck, but I never wanted all these issues associated with it. I would sell it and get something else, but I will lose a whole bunch of money being as nobody is going to buy a truck with these issues that nobody can fix.

I’ve seen a few threads about trucks having issues with the rear or front lowering like I experience but nothing that’s just on the left side.

if anyone has any ideas about what might be wrong with this truck, or options I have. Please let me know.

TIA

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Argh. Remove the system is what I would do. If possible. This is a feature that's now a flaw.

My Dad's Lincoln had something like this. It sucked. We could not keep car level. Rear sat on ground. He tore it out and replaced shocks with high quality shocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

J_Harr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 l ecodiesel
I’m not sure I’d necessarily want to remove the system as I just bought it and was told it would be resolved. I have looked into it though. They have companies that will switch it that aren’t too expensive. As of now, they’ve had my truck for almost two weeks. I haven’t heard much from them besides the fact they don’t know what’s wrong, and that I might be towing too much with it. The only thing I’ve hauled is a small fishing boat. I guess I’ll just rack up miles on the rental truck they gave me until I hear something of value back. Not really sure what else I’m going to do.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
This is exactly why I ordered my 21 Ecodiesel withOUT this system. It's great for a few years, but road grime, boat launch dunking, salt and sand take their toll. By year 4 the system is dysfunctional, exactly as it was on my Dad's Lincoln. For the least hassle and long term cost, I'd remove it.