16-19 Ram Big Horn Classic VS Titan..Which To Buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seeing some good deals/incentives on both 19 Classic Big Horn 5.7 Rams and new Nissan Titans

Titans have worse fuel mileage and greater turning radius
Rams (acc to some) have quality issues (my 14 has none)
Titan has 5 yr/100000 bumper to bumper

QUESTION: Which would be the better buy prices are about equal
on both with rebates, or go used 2017 up titans vs 2016-2019 Ram classics

Has anyone owned a 2017 up Titan? Which do you prefer and why?

Last edited:

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Go and drive both new trucks, one after the other on the same day. Judge the ride quality, the driveability, the handling, acceleration, and yes, the turning radius. Look around the interior at the materials used and for fit and finish. Check out the electronics inside each vehicle.

Shouldn't take long to decide.

Spectre04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just looked at the same two trucks. I drove a Titan SV 2WD, comparing it against a Classic Big Horn 2WD.
For less money, I feel like I got more truck with the Ram. The larger center screen and cluster is nice, and I preferred the overall driving experience. My favorite addition is the 3.93 rear end!
I’ve been a Frontier guy for a long time, but I can’t complain about this new truck. I know there are bound to be issues with some trucks out there, especially as there are like 20/1 (Ram to Titan) on the road. I enjoy the additional MDS benefit, because I’m getting an extra MPG out of a full-size cab over my little Nissan.
You may, however, enjoy the Titan more, so get out and drive them. They’re both nice trucks.

JV Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I test drove all the truck brands before buying my 2016 Ram 1500. The Ram has the nicest and most comfortable interior and ride quality followed by the GMC I tested. My Ram was also $10k less then the GMC with all the same features and less miles. I didn’t mind the Titan but the interior wasn’t near as nice. Had nice power but other then that I preferred the Ram more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Buddy had an older Titan, has a new one now...complains of gas mileage.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t kid yourself all manufacturers have “quality issues” so I wouldn’t consider that a factor. You can get a great Ram or a problem Ram as you can get a quality Titan or a problem Titan.
Hell I have a friend who had to have 2 frames put in his Tacoma, the almighty Toyota has issues too.
Drive them, the right choice for you will be evident!

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just read an article recently highlighting the most frequently traded vehicles after 1 year of ownership.......Titan headed the list. The interior is about 10 years behind other brands. Engine is a gem, 7 speed trans not so much. Good luck.

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1 yr old titan will lose much more value than a Ram
I saw the dated interior all in all unless I could get a super deal on one I'd be better off with a Ram, had 2 Ram dealers call yesterday it's approaching months end and evidently this has been a slow month sales wise, maybe one will step up to the plate we'll see...I drove a new 19 Ram and it beats everything else ride wise out there

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
I have had 2 first gen titans and loved them. Planned on getting a new one when the 2nd gen came out. When they revealed the body I just said eh. Decided to give it a look anyway. Went to look at them, interior was nice enough, test drove one, again I said eh. Overall just underwhelming and unimpressed. Then I saw the price tag and said WTF! Decided to take a look at ram. Megacab heavy duty has more power can tow more and feels good to drive like a TRUCK. Just solid and confident. Cost 13k less than the new Titan. Felt like a no brainer. Cherry on top, my 2500 megacab gets better mileage than either Titan! First Titan was a 2wd 5.6 of course, got about 12.5 mpg. Second Titan 4wd got 11.2 mpg. My ram gets 14 mpg on average, not kidding. And I have 35s on it.

Oh one more thing. My ram has a bigger bed so it holds more than my titans ever could. Overall way more truck than Nissan can even attempt to offer, for less money

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once I decided that I was going to sell my Jeep and get back into a truck, I looked at Toyotas. No matter how I tried, I just couldn't convince myself that I would fall in love with it..even eventually. I just couldn't do it! Then I started my quest for another Ram and it just felt..Right! I know what I like, I'm a Hemi guy an wanted a Black Night Edition Sport. Then I saw the Delmonico Red that I've always admired. There's no doubt that I made the right decision and it wasn't just because of what my heart wanted, I did alot of research and decided a 16 and up would fit the bill. More power, more comfortable, great crash test ratings, no frame issues, more comfortable and the 8 speeds are rock stars. If you decide that you really want a Ram and are torn about the Titan having a 100k warranty, consider a certified pre owned. They do 100k drivetrain on those... I'm sure you know this.

We will be welcoming BART (Big Ass Red Truck) into the fold tomorrow..

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seeing some good deals/incentives on both 19 Classic Big Horn 5.7 Rams and new Nissan Titans

Titans have worse fuel mileage and greater turning radius
Rams (acc to some) have quality issues (my 14 has none)
Titan has 5 yr/100000 bumper to bumper

QUESTION: Which would be the better buy prices are about equal
on both with rebates, or go used 2017 up titans vs 2016-2019 Ram classics

Has anyone owned a 2017 up Titan? Which do you prefer and why?

Not into Japaneses products myself.

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I've made up my mind. Drove em both back to back
Here's my evaluation:

Titan: Good motor, so so trans, butt ugly in person,
very dated, ride quality inferior, fuel mileage inferior
It's a "3/4" pickup, guess it always has been and will continue to be
until Nissan steps up it's game. XD also an "almost"

Ram; Much better looking truck, better quality, better ride, better fuel mileage, MUCH better HP870 8 spd, for less money

I really dont tow anything but an occasional Harley so tow factor isn't
an issue, and never see weather under 50 degrees and do not off road
so 4x4 isn't an issue either

However the three things that DO matter to me are:

1. Looks...The 16-19 Classic Ram wins hands down. The Big Horn
with the chrome grille, and the 20" chrome wheels is about the best lookin pickup on the planet (IMO). Titan really is unimpressive. With the 19s they took all the chrome off the front end, making them look even MORE drab.

2. Ride Quality...Titan rides and shifts much rougher than Ram even on freeway. I like the 5.6 motor that was always their strong point but not much else.
Ram has better suspension all the way around, and the titan has that that stupid shifter sticking way out there, the Titan really IS 10 years behind the times.

3. Fuel Mileage...Titan would probably average 16 on a good day, no VVT motor like Ram, I'm gettin 19.5-20.6 average on my reg cab Ram now, that's a big difference.

Taking all this into consideration, looks mileage, and ride quality being my 3 highest wants, the Ram wins hands down. And I'll find one, meanwhile my trusty 14 will do just fine until I do. Thanks for your opinions!

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This new leftover 2018 CC Big Horn is about as good as it gets (to me anyway)...has skid plates heated seats, 4x4, Trailer mirrors and brake control and the nice chrome door trim and side steps. Of course has the buckets and the 8.4 radio. Some options I probably don't need but most of the ones I want and certainly won't hurt it at trade in time for sure. This may be the one. Certainly puts any Titan to shame

wks2018.jpg

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
That on some 35's and chrome wheels....perfect

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
This new leftover 2018 CC Big Horn is about as good as it gets (to me anyway)...has skid plates heated seats, 4x4, Trailer mirrors and brake control and the nice chrome door trim and side steps. Of course has the buckets and the 8.4 radio. Some options I probably don't need but most of the ones I want and certainly won't hurt it at trade in time for sure. This may be the one. Certainly puts any Titan to shame

View attachment 177457
Yeah, that's pretty well loaded & looks great. Very happy with my left over 18 Laramie CC

M² Mods.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I have had 2 first gen titans and loved them. Planned on getting a new one when the 2nd gen came out. When they revealed the body I just said eh. Decided to give it a look anyway. Went to look at them, interior was nice enough, test drove one, again I said eh. Overall just underwhelming and unimpressed. Then I saw the price tag and said WTF! Decided to take a look at ram. Megacab heavy duty has more power can tow more and feels good to drive like a TRUCK. Just solid and confident. Cost 13k less than the new Titan. Felt like a no brainer. Cherry on top, my 2500 megacab gets better mileage than either Titan! First Titan was a 2wd 5.6 of course, got about 12.5 mpg. Second Titan 4wd got 11.2 mpg. My ram gets 14 mpg on average, not kidding. And I have 35s on it.

Oh one more thing. My ram has a bigger bed so it holds more than my titans ever could. Overall way more truck than Nissan can even attempt to offer, for less money

I did the same thing!!! I had a 09 cc 4.10 JBA LT headers high flow cats magnaflow MXP and custom etune it was like driving an old school big block- amazing torque! So after 10 years I wanted a new truck and I didn’t like the new style but figured they would b cheap well HELL NO WTF PRICING!! So I got the ram and have been happy ever since!