16 Ram 1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Wait until you throw the links too, she'll feel even better.
Just drove for the first time since putting the extended links on.. Oh my goodness! Rear end feels amazing now :D, nice and planted almost zero body roll. Should have replaced those a long time ago! Dammit now I’m going to have to do the fronts.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just drove for the first time since putting the extended links on.. Oh my goodness! Rear end feels amazing now :D, nice and planted almost zero body roll. Should have replaced those a long time ago! Dammit now I’m going to have to do the fronts.

Wonder what the Hellwig sway bar can do to tighten up the rear even more. Lots of people swear by it.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Wonder what the Hellwig sway bar can do to tighten up the rear even more. Lots of people swear by it.
I'm sure the hellwig is an improvement over oem but I don't think I could justify the price for myself. But if there was something similar to the Currie Antirock sway bar available for these trucks it would have my attention.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Picked up enough DOM tube to build myself the upper/lower control arms for the rear. Now just trying to decide what combination of pivoting joints to go with to finish the build.

Johhny joints on both ends similar to "core4x4 tier 4" (aprox $500) vs Johnny joint on one end and poly bushing on other similar to "core 4x4 tier 3" (aprox $320). I am going to stay away from heims like the DirtKing arms to avoid any noise/vibration transfer.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I ran poly bushing frame side and johnny joint axle side on my jeep. They both end up mounted parallel in the mounts so they both realistically have the same amount of movement from flat. Maybe if you had a super long travel setup I could see a double joint affording more movement but I never noticed I ran out out misalignment in my joints at full articulation.

Maybe get the rear fully twisted and take a peek at the angles. I could be totally off with my assumption but I don't think the bushing twist enough to warrant double joints. Extra cost and maintenance,plus a bushing will ride a little better frame side and might survive a bit longer. This is all as good as I can remember from 10 yrs ago when I made mine.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked up enough DOM tube to build myself the upper/lower control arms for the rear. Now just trying to decide what combination of pivoting joints to go with to finish the build.

Johhny joints on both ends similar to "core4x4 tier 4" (aprox $500) vs Johnny joint on one end and poly bushing on other similar to "core 4x4 tier 3" (aprox $320). I am going to stay away from heims like the DirtKing arms to avoid any noise/vibration transfer.

Check this out
https://www.polyperformance.com/synergy-dual-durometer-bushings-ddb-in-forged-housings

https://www.polyperformance.com/synergy-dual-durometer-bushing-ddb-series

This things can flex, and they last

Curious about the control arms housings that will fit our trucks though.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I ran poly bushing frame side and johnny joint axle side on my jeep. They both end up mounted parallel in the mounts so they both realistically have the same amount of movement from flat. Maybe if you had a super long travel setup I could see a double joint affording more movement but I never noticed I ran out out misalignment in my joints at full articulation.

Maybe get the rear fully twisted and take a peek at the angles. I could be totally off with my assumption but I don't think the bushing twist enough to warrant double joints. Extra cost and maintenance,plus a bushing will ride a little better frame side and might survive a bit longer. This is all as good as I can remember from 10 yrs ago when I made mine.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input Hodge. This truck will never see long travel (but would be nice) would be pointless to dump that sort of cash on a v6 with 3.55 gears. Mainly just looking for longevity and ride comfort it being my DD and the ability to take any offroad abuse I can throw at it. I think you are spot on with doing poly one side, after all that is how DirtKing and Gorracing both have theirs designed.

These are the poly bushings I was considering using, I like that this company offers an option for a zerk fitting.
https://thorbros.com/4-link-parts/4-link-bushings/4-link-weld-bar-ends

Last edited:
OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hey now, I have a v6 and 3.55s!!! Always thought you has a 3.92 hemi?!?! Nothing wrong with the v6, but I can really see the desire for 4.10/4.56 with heavy 35s. That's why I'm back to tweener tires. My little 3.0 gots no balls. But I do have 26 mpg [emoji41]

I'm not gonna lie those bushes that ram1500 linked are sweet looking. I used alot of poly performance and synergy **** on my Cummins and it lasted. I like the idea behind clevit oem style bushings, but they don't survive with the range of motion we ask of them offroad. Poly bushes are not terrible, but man those ******* are a birch when they decided to squeak, and honestly they are pretty hard/stiff so they for sure will transmit more chassis feedback. It's a compromise as anything, I'd call and talk to poly performance first this, see what their design and reps have to say about those dual durometers are about.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Just dug through Facebook and ****. I can't find the pics I have of the arms, but I found some of the amount of articulation I had with a single joint and bushing. These were just standard Currie Johnnie joints, circa 2010. Standard short arm setup in my xj. Ran up the RTI better than the 3 long armed jeeps I usually ran with. 36380f17a71e486566485d1b7cc76bed.jpg6e5666ca0f062787e7085f215947dff5.jpg

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
@ram1500rsm looking a bit more at the synergy ddb I wouldn't be able to run the forged housing ones due to the tubing I had
Hey now, I have a v6 and 3.55s!!! Always thought you has a 3.92 hemi?!?! Nothing wrong with the v6, but I can really see the desire for 4.10/4.56 with heavy 35s. That's why I'm back to tweener tires. My little 3.0 gots no balls. But I do have 26 mpg [emoji41]

I'm not gonna lie those bushes that ram1500 linked are sweet looking. I used alot of poly performance and synergy **** on my Cummins and it lasted. I like the idea behind clevit oem style bushings, but they don't survive with the range of motion we ask of them offroad. Poly bushes are not terrible, but man those ******* are a birch when they decided to squeak, and honestly they are pretty hard/stiff so they for sure will transmit more chassis feedback. It's a compromise as anything, I'd call and talk to poly performance first this, see what their design and reps have to say about those dual durometers are about.

LOL ya the 6 cyl gasser I have still gets around pretty dang well, I've never had lack of power. I put 4.56 gears in my 1st gen Tundra as well as many other performance mods and that truck was a beast! If there were an easy solution to gearing these trucks I would jump all over it. 26!! I average around 16, can get 20 on the fwy if I keep the rpms down.
I like the idea of those synergy bushings but for $10 extra could just get the Johnny joints, I may just be stuck on the name but they do have a great reputation. May end up doing dual Johnny's and just doing bottoms at first then tops in a month or so. My gut keeps telling me to go that route, after all overkill is underrated.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Just dug through Facebook and ****. I can't find the pics I have of the arms, but I found some of the amount of articulation I had with a single joint and bushing. These were just standard Currie Johnnie joints, circa 2010. Standard short arm setup in my xj. Ran up the RTI better than the 3 long armed jeeps I usually ran with. 36380f17a71e486566485d1b7cc76bed.jpg6e5666ca0f062787e7085f215947dff5.jpg

Flexy :)

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
@ram1500rsm looking a bit more at the synergy ddb I wouldn't be able to run the forged housing ones due to the tubing I had

LOL ya the 6 cyl gasser I have still gets around pretty dang well, I've never had lack of power. I put 4.56 gears in my 1st gen Tundra as well as many other performance mods and that truck was a beast! If there were an easy solution to gearing these trucks I would jump all over it. 26!! I average around 16, can get 20 on the fwy if I keep the rpms down.
I like the idea of those synergy bushings but for $10 extra could just get the Johnny joints, I may just be stuck on the name but they do have a great reputation. May end up doing dual Johnny's and just doing bottoms at first then tops in a month or so. My gut keeps telling me to go that route, after all overkill is underrated.

I had 4.56s in that xj. Best mod ever. I'm still considering doin a 2010 dif swap in this truck. Hopefully the 8spd and 4.56s would make 35s or 37s my go to. One day......cloud light on here did it with his before he totaled his truck, his write up has all the Pns. Those difs are cheap that's I've seen. Still unsure of the rear axle I've read mixed things..... if I find a totaled out one I'd just grab both f/r and swap it all

26 mpg is why I'm so picky with my setup, this little diesel is the cats ass when I can keep the weight down on my wheels and tires. The tune I just got made it even better, I'd love to delete it but the EPA is all over us anymore so I kept it emissions compliant.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with overkill on the arms! The joints last a long time and are great. At this point it will match everything else you've built for the truck. OVERKILL FTW

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only dream having 26mpg ******** it :)
I'm at mid 15's pure fwy with the Hemi and it's the reason i wake up in the morning wanting 37's and just when i want to pull the trigger i can only think MPG in the 12's with those and the thoughts go to hell hahaha

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
@hodge-xj
Just have to keep our eyes out for the front and rear diffs from a compatible housing. Or just get @ram1500rsm to do his first and I’ll take his 3.92 diffs ;).

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
@hodge-xj
Just have to keep our eyes out for the front and rear diffs from a compatible housing. Or just get @ram1500rsm to do his first and I’ll take his 3.92 diffs ;).
Hint hint!!! Heck, let's just sas with some coilovers.......our coil mounts are already there on the frame......half the work is done!