16 Ram 1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Thought I quoted this post and not the general discussion one. What's the extended length on these?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Measured all the ones I have laying in the garage
Extended on the Kings are 30.5"
Oem ones are 25.75
Bilsteins are 27"
Pretty sure the icons were a tad shorter than the Bilsteins

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Measured all the ones I have laying in the garage
Extended on the Kings are 30.5"
Oem ones are 25.75
Bilsteins are 27"
Pretty sure the icons were a tad shorter than the Bilsteins
Damn, you're definitely gonna be unseating coils with those! My Fox's are 28" and with the spring spacer combo I barely stay seated in the coil pocket. The superlift rear coils were the only ones I've seen with enough free length for those.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Damn, you're definitely gonna be unseating coils with those! My Fox's are 28" and with the spring spacer combo I barely stay seated in the coil pocket. The superlift rear coils were the only ones I've seen with enough free length for those.

With the icon springs and the 1” spacer in the back realistically I’ll only get probably 2 more inches out of it before I have the limit strap engaged. Fully compressed they’ll land at about 19”.
Most compressed I’ve had the icons is 19.5”, Going off my zip tie that’s on the shaft. Should be fine but may throw a 1/2” bump extension just to be extra safe or finally get the wheeler off-road bumps

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The Icons should hold 28" extended shocks without a spacer, so add 1" spacer and they should open fine to 29", don't know if they hold another 1.5" but there is only way to find out :)

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the icon springs and the 1” spacer in the back realistically I’ll only get probably 2 more inches out of it before I have the limit strap engaged. Fully compressed they’ll land at about 19”.
Most compressed I’ve had the icons is 19.5”, Going off my zip tie that’s on the shaft. Should be fine but may throw a 1/2” bump extension just to be extra safe or finally get the wheeler off-road bumps
You'll need 1" bumstop extensions.
and i guess set the strap for 29"?. That setup will be sweet... Enjoy

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Threads like this suck! It makes me want to spend more money then I should be on my truck! [emoji383]

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
The Icons should hold 28" extended shocks without a spacer, so add 1" spacer and they should open fine to 29", don't know if they hold another 1.5" but there is only way to find out :)
Makes sense, I thought I remembered you saying they were unseating with shorter shocks. It's been a while and I'm working 60+hrs a week so I really shouldn't type while tired lol.

Are you gonna revalve these to your current specs before install?

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

It may end up right around the 29" area going off all the details you just provided (I really need to start a spreadsheet with all my measurements). Plan was to pull the coils out and check full compression to see if I need the bumps then check full droop by jacking up the truck till the coils are only hand tight then lower it about 1" to have adequate tension and set the straps to that distance.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Makes sense, I thought I remembered you saying they were unseating with shorter shocks. It's been a while and I'm working 60+hrs a week so I really shouldn't type while tired lol.

I'll let King or Accutune do the job in my case.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

Not planning on changing valving before install, the previous owner of these shocks spec'd em out for a F250 super duty, just never got around to install. Hoping with the heavier valving those trucks need it will put me right in the area that I need to be at, then fine tune from there if needed. Not entirely sure my previous specs for the 2.0 icons would provide the same results on the 2.5's.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may end up right around the 29" area going off all the details you just provided (I really need to start a spreadsheet with all my measurements). Plan was to pull the coils out and check full compression to see if I need the bumps then check full droop by jacking up the truck till the coils are only hand tight then lower it about 1" to have adequate tension and set the straps to that distance.

Remove both rear tires and jack at the rear frame, disconnect the trackbar, and disconnect the shocks from the lower portion and let the axel droop. You'll be able to see quickly how much they can open before you're able to rotate the springs on their seats by hand and check how much shock you need for that to happen.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Not planning on changing valving before install, the previous owner of these shocks spec'd em out for a F250 super duty, just never got around to install. Hoping with the heavier valving those trucks need it will put me right in the area that I need to be at, then fine tune from there if needed. Not entirely sure my previous specs for the 2.0 icons would provide the same results on the 2.5's.
Yea, it's worth a shot and you'll have a baseline to go off of from there. Rebound will most likely be right on since leaves like to pogo, curious how the comp side feels. Those 2.5s are gonna be a nice upgrade either way

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Looks like my coils (with 1” spacer) unseat when shocks are at 28.5”. At 28” it feels like there is still enough sprung tension to keep em in place so that will be where I strap em. Shocks bump out at the same time my bumps make contact. 1” spacer as you suggested or different bumps will be a good idea, probably postpone that for a bit till I decide on which.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like my coils (with 1” spacer) unseat when shocks are at 28.5”. At 28” it feels like there is still enough sprung tension to keep em in place so that will be where I strap em. Shocks bump out at the same time my bumps make contact. 1” spacer as you suggested or different bumps will be a good idea, probably postpone that for a bit till I decide on which.
Awesome good to know man.

OP
OP
revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
How ya like the kings

Haven’t driven anywhere yet. But they look like they will be able to handle whatever I can throw at em. Curious about how the super duty spec valving will play out.