17 Ram Hemi lifter failure- need suggestions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crewguy498

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2017 Ram Hemi W/ 115K had a lifter failure. We are going to pull the engine and replace Camshaft, lifters, and oil pump. We have no previous experience with MDS or VVT. The plan is to install a better cam and hoping to get same or better MPG. If we will need a tune we want to purchase a programmer that will work with Dodge and Chevrolet as well.

Great forum and thanks for the help!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
2017 Ram Hemi W/ 115K had a lifter failure. We are going to pull the engine and replace Camshaft, lifters, and oil pump. We have no previous experience with MDS or VVT. The plan is to install a better cam and hoping to get same or better MPG. If we will need a tune we want to purchase a programmer that will work with Dodge and Chevrolet as well.

Great forum and thanks for the help!
dyi cam install thread, happy reading. Sorry for the troubles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is a small % of cams that simply cannot make it out of the block, if you havent bought anything, you might wait til you get cam out, because in those situations it is new engine time.

OP
OP
C

Crewguy498

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Would You pull the heads with the engine in the truck? We have everything to do this but I don’t want to waste my time on something not needed.
The cost just to go back with a non-MDS cam kit+parts+tune would probably run over 2K. We might just replace stock parts and leave everything else stock.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, leave the engine in the truck, but go back and read the thread, everything you need is there, invest an afternoon reading will save you common mistakes.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
My suggestion is to use some ZDDP additive in your oil for breakin of the new cam and to continue to use it to help prevent future failure.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is weird it failed so early is the truck misfiring? For sure use non mds lifters and tune it out I got all my parts of rockauto for about 1200 wish I did not use MDS lifters tho they are noisy as fk they bleed down noisy startups it sounds like a sewing machine its a failed design. Compared to my fathers ram 2500 with non mds never makes noise on startup. As for fuel economy its a truck you wont get better MPG you can expect about the same tho.

Last edited:

James40004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Before buying anything, pull the intake manifold and see if there is metal in the vvt control solenoid. It's the valve in the valley that goes into the front of the engine. If it has stripper glitter in it, the motor is toast. The metal from the wiped cam lobe made it through the bearings.

If it's clean then proceed with cam and lifter change.

James

OP
OP
C

Crewguy498

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We finally got around to pulling the head. The#1 exhaust lifter was not pumped up. We are pulling the other head and replacing lifters only. The cam is in perfect shape. Which brand replacement lifters should I use?

Elvira

Reaction score
Awesome, that is good news for you and a cheaper venture for just lifters. Good to have lady luck on your side on occasion.

gozarca2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Before buying anything, pull the intake manifold and see if there is metal in the vvt control solenoid. It's the valve in the valley that goes into the front of the engine. If it has stripper glitter in it, the motor is toast. The metal from the wiped cam lobe made it through the bearings.

If it's clean then proceed with cam and lifter change.

James
so james, my 2013 hemi w/132k miles had missfire on #7, limped into mechanic. the lifter/cam are toast. the VVT has metal on it and even the screen on the little metal filter there on that vvt, has a hole in it....so its a total new or remanuf engine i need now?? this is crap. engines shouldn't break at 132k miles since i kept up w/oil changes. is there a lawsuit on dodge on this??

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so james, my 2013 hemi w/132k miles had missfire on #7, limped into mechanic. the lifter/cam are toast. the VVT has metal on it and even the screen on the little metal filter there on that vvt, has a hole in it....so its a total new or remanuf engine i need now?? this is crap. engines shouldn't break at 132k miles since i kept up w/oil changes. is there a lawsuit on dodge on this??
Most likely you dont need a new engine replace cam and lifters flush it all out and go on your way. Ram isn't the only company with this issue some Gm trucks do it to.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Most likely you dont need a new engine replace cam and lifters flush it all out and go on your way. Ram isn't the only company with this issue some Gm trucks do it to.

The gospel according to Reignited on YT (who worked as an FCA tech); if you get the metal filings on that metal filter, your engine is done, or at the least FCA won't warranty the fix.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The gospel according to Reignited on YT (who worked as an FCA tech); if you get the metal filings on that metal filter, your engine is done, or at the least FCA won't warranty the fix.
Yes to FCA they want the money a lot of people give up on engines to easy I have fixed a lot of vehicles that people tell me engine is shot and it almost never is. My engine had lifters fail twice both times cam damage flushed it out still running with 220k on it. They could also take a look at a rod bearing to get a idea of the engine condition easy enough to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crewguy498

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Quick update:
Pulled head and found 1 lifter not primed. Ordered OEM lifters (4) W/ tray. Replaced lifters and tray. Cranked truck-still missing and won't idle. Still sounds like the lifters aren't pumping up? Still has the tapping sounds. What do I do next?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Quick update:
Pulled head and found 1 lifter not primed. Ordered OEM lifters (4) W/ tray. Replaced lifters and tray. Cranked truck-still missing and won't idle. Still sounds like the lifters aren't pumping up? Still has the tapping sounds. What do I do next?

Feel free to ignore, but Reignited said something about this in one of his latest episodes when he's putting his hemi back together, apparently it's very easy for the pushrod to fall out a bit when you're putting it all back together? It doesn't stay in position all that easy. Forget exactly what he was talking about there but he said it's a common mistake and that might be why you're getting those tapping sounds still.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was there any damage on the old lifters? and yes make sure the push rods are in the right place and Clicked in all the way I do it all the dam time lol its hard to get them all to stay in It will tap and misfire.

Last edited: