1740 transmission code set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While driving, seemed transmission went into neutral out of high gear. I Shifted to neutral, back to drive, went back in high. Next stop, took off wouldn't shift to high. Put in neutral, back to drive, was in high then. Lower gears shift fine. Either shifts into high then comes out to neutral or stays in lower gear. With 170k I had the transmission fluid changed 2 yrs. ago. Checked and it was 3/4" to full. My mechanic is 2omi away. Don't know to trust it getting there. I usually turn my own wrenches, but up to 3yrs. ago the newest truck I owned was a 67 chevy, 3peed 6cyl. Big diff! This sound familiar to anyone? Thanks, ****

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was asked if it shifted with a cable, linkage or electronically. I haven't had to cross that bridge yet. If cable he said to check the shift cable for rust or kink. Also when driving, when it stays in second gear, manually shift into second gear to see if it makes a difference. I'll check this out tomorrow.

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So today soaked everything on the transmission with silicone spray lube, just thought it might help. Took a 40 mi. road trip in the country. Once in over drive never a problem. 8 times after stopping would not go into drive, staying in second gear, so I dropped down in second then back to drive, shifted into drive each time then on into overdrive with no problem. Tomorrow taking another trip with each take off I will manually shift 1,2 drive then if no problems I think Iv'e eliminated the pressure shifter apparatus so says a motorhead friend.

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Today, I manually shifted from 1st, to 2nd then 3rd and then it shifted into OD. each time I stopped with no problems. This should tell someone in the know what's going on. I'm on it.

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last thing to try, going 50mph keeping on the gas, tap brake. Transmission should come out of overdrive into third, didn't. So I was told this means a torque converter clutch and a overdrive solenoid. There was a recall in 2000 for this very problem. Was told there is a TV cable under the air cleaner that may need adjusting. I'll find out about that before a trip to the garage.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Afraid there's nothing but bad news here.

Code P1740 means there's an issue with being able to shift into OD or lockup on the converter. There could be several reasons for this, but the bad news is that eventually your transmission will need to be rebuilt.

Your converter and OD clutches are shifted electronically through a pair of solenoids found on the valve body. when it takes more than the preset amount of electrical power to shift either, the code is set. Usually the clutch facings in the converter are worn along with the OD clutches and cause the voltage issue. Sometimes the solenoids are gucked up. The valve body passages could be dirty.

You can start by dropping the valve body and replacing the solenoid pack. Both are attached to a bracket and replaced as a pair. While you're doing that, replace the governor pressure sensor. It's probably getting bad as well. Change the filter, adjust the bands, and hope for the best.

Adjusting the TV cable doesn't effect your OD/lockout engagement.

The most this will do is buy you time. How long, I don't know. Depends a lot on your driving habits. If you get another P1740 code right away that means failure is eminent. You'll lose your OD /lockout as the clutches disintegrate, and things go downhill rapidly from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was getting bitts and pieces feeling lost until your explanation of whats going on with my transmission. I'll now feel better talking to my mechanic Monday. He told me if the transmission needs inside work he has a go to guy. I feel the truck is worth a re-build if it comes to that. My brother bought it new in 01. Never off road, hardly ever put in 4wd, had 150k. He bought a new truck in 2016 and give this one to me, that way he would have his old truck to do dirty jobs HA! Thanks so much Okiespaniel

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took truck to my mechanic today. He don't rebuild, so after checking the usual suspects and no results, he will drop trans. and take to his re-build guy. Later

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mechanic dropped the transmission pan, found small metal chunks and shavings. He took the transmission to his re-build guy for $1600. When he gets it back he will do his part flushing lines ect. All said and done about $2000. Since my brother gave the truck to me 5 yrs. ago this totals about $ 9000 Iv'e invested. From what I have learned about this truck, by replacing rusted rockers, lower door skins, cab corners, getting rust free tailgate from Arizona, rolling on monstaliner by Magnet paints to bumpers ,lower body and bed. Had rear end rebuilt, front end rebuilt (u-joints,ball joints ect. Motor needed new distributor and little stuff. Then a killer OD semi flat paint job,with new tires. My Brother bought a new 2500 4door Hemi for 55k. Yes he can place his hitch under his bass boat trailer, but for 46k extra I'll rough it. With all the excellent advice I received from this Forum I did save some bucks doing thing myself. I did do much body work. I think when I tried to fix the distributor after practically making a bed on top of the engine, laying down with a mirror and wrench I new my limitations. Up till now my newest truck was a 67 chevy which was a dream to work on but not nearly the truck. Over all I'm feeling pretty good about my excellent wood hauler :) Later, ****

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
95% of the time P1740 is burnt up converter and/or overdrive clutches as Okie has talked about. I limped mine with toasted converter for about 70k miles lol. Just had no lockup so it got really really hot. Sounds like yours is overheating

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got truck back today. Okiespaniel and dapepper9, your diagnoses were right on. A total rebuild including a converter and I'm back in business. While truck was in the air I had the oil pan gasket replaced and a few other things. The rebuild was $1500 and the rest added to $2100. The engine is strong and I'll be expecting an additional 100k from it:) Thanks, ****

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I couldn't have made that explanation any easier if I tried...

Oh well, the result was the same.

We've all been there.

Hopefully your tech flushed and cleaned your transmission lines, factory cooler (if you have one) and the inline check valve.

Rather than try and explain and confuse you with details, just make sure he did. Those items can get plugged with debris from the previous failure and your new transmission will fail quickly.

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes Okiespaniel the clean and flushing of the parts you mentioned were on the invoice in detail. By you explaining how critical these steps are and knowing they were performed is a relief. My mechanic is really great and he has good go to guys when it's out of his expertise like this transmission. Other times he will say you can do this yourself and save a buck. Thanks, ****